Pocillopora mistake

ReeferBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a green poccilopora. Now it’s everywhere. Seeding all over my tank. Tried shooting it with liquid calcium which kills one focused spot but it keeps growing. Anyone have ideas on how to kill it?
Thanks.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a green poccilopora. Now it’s everywhere. Seeding all over my tank. Tried shooting it with liquid calcium which kills one focused spot but it keeps growing. Anyone have ideas on how to kill it?
Thanks.
I snip it off the rock with bone cutters when it grows out a little.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.
too late.. the only way to get rid of it is to soak all rocks in strong acid for 20 days...

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
too late.. the only way to get rid of it is to soak all rocks in strong acid for 20 days...
It just comes back like the Joker who fell in an acid vat.
The Joker Batman GIF

It's pretty resilient. I have some growing in my overflow. As mentioned, just clip it and then shade it out.

OP
OP
ReeferBill

ReeferBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that was a big mistake. Can’t take my rock out since all my other corals are on them. I wonder if I could kill it by making a paste out of kalkeasser and covering them in it. Thoughts?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put it in my tank and death will come. I've tried poccilopora several times and they die while everything around them thrives. Sometimes they've even give me false hope and triple in size and then die within days. It's frustrating but I'm not very knowledgeable and a bit lazy so I just added them to the list of things that will not live in my tanks and no longer try them. Maybe in a few years I'll try again.
For a long time I could not keep zoas or gsp alive. Now 8 years later they grow fine :thinking-face:

OP
OP
ReeferBill

ReeferBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Confused by your video. This coral spawned and is attached in about 19 different spots. Not looking to frag and can’t get rocks out of the tank at all.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Confused by your video. This coral spawned and is attached in about 19 different spots. Not looking to frag and can’t get rocks out of the tank at all.
The kalkpaste may be worth trying; as mentioned you could also figure out ways to shade each new, growing coral.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cover them with 2 part epoxy, pick a color that will blend into your scape. After a month or two, you can easily remove the expoxy.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could also epoxy over it. I have it in my display and do not give it much thought to be honest. It seems to manage itself but I know we are all different.

It can be one of those corals when a healthy tank it suddenly becomes a problem.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I usually let it grow out a little then frag it. I have removed the video. You can epoxy over them if they are small as suggested previously also.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did it take to spread? I’m waiting for mine to do the same! I love the look

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think green is the only one that does it...could be mistaken. Beautiful coral..its just the fact it will kill other acros I prefer over it. For that matter...xenia is beautiful too.

OP
OP
ReeferBill

ReeferBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had it in the tank for about 4 months. Then noticed small specks of it growing everywhere. Now it’s everywhere and stinging other corals. I will try the epoxy as that should kill it. When I saw it spread I took the main colony out but it was too late. It’s everywhere and growing fast sucking up calcium. Worst than gsp.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a known issue with Pocci, definitely worse than GSP which is super easy to remove.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not the first time I’ve heard people complain about it, while for me it never been a big deal at all.

Yes, it does spread from time to time and appear in different spots, but it never stung any other coral, including quite a wide variety of acros which usually instantly kill the Poceliphora if they touch each other.

And as already been mentioned here, I also just grow them out a little and break them off if they bother me and they never grow in that spot again.

I do wonder though - maybe there is a type that is more aggressive (in terms of stinging) than the one I own? Because I guess that’s the main issue you really have with it.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 67 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back