Pod Hotel for Copepods

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say a waste of money. As many, if not all, of us, have a ton of rock in both tanks and in sumps, a pod hotel would just a decoration.

In order to have a good population of pods you simply need rock, nutrients, detritus and algae to some degree... I haven't added pods to my system in years.... but the population in my tank and sump is large and healthy.

My two cents worth! ;)

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I theory it should work... I just use a plastic coragated sign from home depot. Like the realtor signs. Just cut it in 4x4 squares and tie six of them together with fishing string. Copeopods are hard to see, but i know they fill up with amphipods, worms, and mini stars.

I just pull it out and swish in the display dump some water through it and put back in the sump.

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are just wanting to get it for a spot for the pods to live.... I wouldn't buy it. If you have live rock they already have a place for them to live.

The reason I use my thinga majig , is to feed the tank.

If you have some cash burning a hole just by more live rock or a culture of pods. You can also add phytoplankton live or dry and the pods will reproduce at a much faster rate.

sscg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it really helps that much honestly. If you don't have a sump you could get a hob refugium :) I don't have a sump in my 30g and its full of pods.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's worth the $ nor will it really work. I use dry rock in my sump and cheto. I see them all over

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I was asking @dansreef

My sump is a 100 gal Rubbermaid Trough... I have 50+ lbs of rock and rubble in the sump along with a couple of Marine Pure Blocks. I also run a large skimmer in it... and an Algae Scrubber above and feeding into it. I dont run filter socks...which means detritus and left over food will collect in the sump and rock. I do all of my water changes from there...and will siphon as mush waste and sediment as I can. My rocks are LOADED with pods...

OP
OP
Venzzla

Venzzla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump is a 100 gal Rubbermaid Trough... I have 50+ lbs of rock and rubble in the sump along with a couple of Marine Pure Blocks. I also run a large skimmer in it... and an Algae Scrubber above and feeding into it. I dont run filter socks...which means detritus and left over food will collect in the sump and rock. I do all of my water changes from there...and will siphon as mush waste and sediment as I can. My rocks are LOADED with pods...
Nice !

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't the purpose to put it in the sump and then shake it out in the tank so a bunch of pods get there at once? Like a feeding? We don't usually put a LR in the sump then shake it out in the tank. I do however shake my Cheato out in the tank when I trim it.

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No what you technically suppose to do is buy the bag of 3000 copapods then place it during the middle of the night to help them survive your fish and hopefully they get to the rocks

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever used a pod hotel for copepods? Do they work well? Are they sump only? Guy was telling me that you can put them in the display tank as well...Has anyone placed this in the display tank?

https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/p...MIkeeym_b84AIVBYGzCh3-wwSSEAQYAyABEgIfAvD_BwE

I have not used that exact one, but I 3d printed a two level version which is identical in structure - just not levels. The amphipods like the macro much better and very few (but there were some) used the 3d printed pod hotel. HTH

Back