Pod Hotel for Copepods

TeresaRN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was tempted to buy it too! So, instead I made holes in a container in the sump, and made a small one for the main display. I’m trying to save $$ to purchase better reef lights.

020D5678-F941-41CD-9C33-CC44B00A8286.jpeg

961B503D-867A-4000-990D-017F004565A9.jpeg

Mikeht11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this “gimmick” and it works exactly the way intended. I do have live rock in my sump, right beside the pod hotel, but i wasnt about to pick up the rock to shake out in my display. Haters gonna hate, especially when they don’t know.

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used that exact one, but I 3d printed a two level version which is identical in structure - just not levels. The amphipods like the macro much better and very few (but there were some) used the 3d printed pod hotel. HTH
could you upload the 3d print so I can print it?

OP
OP
Venzzla

Venzzla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used that exact one, but I 3d printed a two level version which is identical in structure - just not levels. The amphipods like the macro much better and very few (but there were some) used the 3d printed pod hotel. HTH
Thanks yeah maybe chaeto is better..

Nhltc99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought one of these over the weekend for the purpose of transferring pods to a QT tank for my Mandarin. Had to go fallow in my Display for ich so I initially shook what I could out of some Chaeto into QT to hold the mandarin over for a bit. Once I feel the pod hotel is loaded up I will move it to the QT to provide more pods for the Mandarin. Then towards the end of the fallow period I will do TTM method with the Mandarin. Hoping to get him to start taking frozen food better before TTM.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't plan to have any rock in my sump, just the fuge and two marine pure bricks that are in the skimmer section.
I don't think I would use one myself but, these may be good for transfer to QT tanks as stated above. The scrubber sponges seem like a better way to go.

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks yeah maybe chaeto is better..

Chaeto is best and the pods love it. I have seen many people use the plastic pot scrubbers suspended in a 5 gallon bucket with success. Sometimes it seems that the chaeto is hard to come by or people are asking ridiculous amounts for a small baseball size portion. Good luck - let us know what you decide and once implemented how it worked out for you.

mitch miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the pod hotel from Marine Depot. It works as intended. Pods multiply in it and I shake it into the DT. Also no mess like you get from shaking chaeto into the DT. No live rock in my sump. I'm probably going to get a 2nd one soon.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the pod hotel from Marine Depot. It works as intended. Pods multiply in it and I shake it into the DT. Also no mess like you get from shaking chaeto into the DT. No live rock in my sump. I'm probably going to get a 2nd one soon.

It gets Mitch from Marine Depot's endorsement. He even wants to buy a 2nd one. Thanks Mitch from Marine Depot and your 3 post count, not suspicious at all. :cool:

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was tempted to buy it too! So, instead I made holes in a container in the sump, and made a small one for the main display. I’m trying to save $$ to purchase better reef lights.

Couldn't I just punch some holes in a plastic water bottle, add some chaeto and throw it in the sump? Seems like it would do the same thing? Any risk of plastic leeching chemicals?

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind taking your money and setting it on fire, buy a pod Hotel sure.
Only in the sense that you could make your own with some plastic sheeting from a hardware store that could make you 100 pod hotels for the same price. And then whether they actually house and help increase the populations of copepods is not really documented. If you own a business, and have a 3D printer, makes sense to sell them. But to me it makes no sense to buy them.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 140 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%

Back