OP
Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using copper with some other bottle the LFS recommended called fish keeper. He's been in quarantine 3 days. Today was the first day he ate anything. Looks like his spots are going down a lot. I felt bad for the fish the other day he was spassing out hardcore. Looked like he was upset.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Frop Are you using Copper Power? If so, I recommend also buying an API copper test kit to ensure the copper level is between 2.0 - 2.5 ppm.

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should slow down a bit before doing all of these treatments. First off I would like to talk about something. Your 10 gallon tank is 5 weeks and you said you have a scooter? yea. That fish wont last in a tank that small.

Could you provide us with water parameters? Maybe some pictures? Could you explain your quarantine process? Are you treating with copper in your display tank?

OP
OP
Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I know is on day 5 with all the recommended dosage per 10 gallons of copper and fish keeper. the white spots have vanished from the fish.

I didn't add copper to the main.

I don't have my levels on hand. From memory,
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
pH: 7.8
dKh: depends if I dose marine buffer. With the buffer it can go to 13
Calcium:340-360
Temp: 80f
Magnesium: 1210??? I forgot
salinity: 1.023 (I found out my thing was not properly calibrated so before I thought I had it at .025-.026)

I have a api copper test kit but haven't tested. Was going to test on water change.

Lighting is a single T8 that runs 8-10hrs a day. when the main light is off the refugium one is one 5W led for now.

Last I remember was I went to does calcium and I think I put to much in. My theory is that stressed my clown fish so he got the ich. The scooter probably starved. I did rush to put him in. I then set a refugium up and added a half bottle of pods then he died 2 days later. Possibly the pods never made it out of the chaeto.

When I tested the QT tank levels for ammonia/nitrate/nitrite everything to me seemed tolerable but it wasn't 0.

drernesto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish still has spots and scrapes on the sand.. Time to look into ich cures. Freshwater I can turn the heat up, but would that work here? Probably not ..
For sure its not ich you're seeing on the glass, it's pods or small snails I would say.
As for rising the temperature to treat ich, this is a method for only fresh water and not saltwater. This will only stress the fish more.
Fresh water dip is a fast relief for the fish, you should QT with copper.

OP
OP
Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you provide us with water parameters? Maybe some pictures? Could you explain your quarantine process? Are you treating with copper in your display tank?

I just took samples today.

Here is the main tank
image.png
image.jpeg
Fuge,
image.jpeg

And the QT..
I wasn't expecting the levels to have gotten so high. My main tank is very stable on ammonia/nitrate/nitrite.. Going to do a 25% water change asap. Maybe the ich dying is polluting the water? Idk I have a tiny amount of bio media in the filter. Possibly I need more I guess.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using copper, that will create a false positive on the ammonia test (and probably your other tests as well.)

I recommend using one of these to monitor ammonia in QT instead:

41e7XCJ8QdL._SY300_.jpg

OP
OP
Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using copper, that will create a false positive on the ammonia test (and probably your other tests as well.)

I recommend using one of these to monitor ammonia in QT instead:

41e7XCJ8QdL._SY300_.jpg

Huh.. Well that's good to know! That could also explain the craziness... I couldn't believe the readings that's why I posted them by photo. Hehe

Luke Schnabel

I like corals...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I think you should slow down a bit before doing all of these treatments. First off I would like to talk about something. Your 10 gallon tank is 5 weeks and you said you have a scooter? yea. That fish wont last in a tank that small.

I was wondering about the scooter as well...

Nothing good in this hobby comes fast. Only bad things come fast. Take your time with everything and do as much research as you can. The scooter died because there was a lack of food for it in a system that's been running for 5 weeks. Could have been avoided by a little research. Heck im reluctant on getting a dragnet and my system is 13months old.

Luke Schnabel

I like corals...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
also you def need some PVC pipe in the QT tank for the clown to hide in.. You can't put the clown back in the tank for 76 days after you took it out either. You also can't put anything that you have in the infected tank into your QT tank or else your going to run the risk of re infection.

Sully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you dosing calcium? No need at all in a tank that small with no corals. Some water changes are all that's needed.

OP
OP
Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you dosing calcium? No need at all in a tank that small with no corals. Some water changes are all that's needed.

Honestly I hate water changes. Plus I have to drive 50-60min to the nearest saltwater store to get the RO DI / Saltwater. I will be adding coral soon. I just bought one of those 165W Chinese lights. Then I'll be adding corals. All this is a test for me to see if I could handle the upgrade to a 40 gallon breeder. Also I think dosing is much more interactive than water change :>

P.s. I could still add corals even if the Ich is in here right? Or is that just a bad idea. I know no new fish for sure.

also you def need some PVC pipe in the QT tank for the clown to hide in.. You can't put the clown back in the tank for 76 days after you took it out either. You also can't put anything that you have in the infected tank into your QT tank or else your going to run the risk of re infection.

Good idea. I'll get one after work.

Luke Schnabel

I like corals...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Don't dose anything to your tank in place of water changes. Water changes are one or the best ways to maintain balanced levels in your tank. If you are not doing any you WILL have horrible algae problems in your tank eventually. Expecially since your tank is so new

OP
OP
Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a clay pot. Will that be an issue to use in the tank?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a clay pot. Will that be an issue to use in the tank?

No issues, clownfish breeders use them all the time. Might absorb a little copper though, so keep an eye on your levels.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back