Poll: Auto this, auto that. Gone too far for me.

Tank Automation - Has It Gone Too Far?

• Yes

Votes: 96 14.8%
  • No

Votes: 472 72.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 81 12.5%

• Total voters

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having gone the manual route in years past, I chose to automate as much as I possibly can. Within budget of course.

That said, I sometimes spend more time looking for the T.V. remote than it would take for me to grab my phone and change the channel. Go figure.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree and disagree. What particular automation are you against? Is it the price to implement? Is a distrust and or fear of product failure? It is more fun to do the tasks yourself? Or is it something else entirely?
I have posted of what I have which I need. There is a line between what we consider a need and a want which we can all draw in the sand. E.G. something to control a heater IMO is a need be it a built in thermostat or an external one it's a need but something to control it on and off is a need to me. What I don't need is a fancy expensive computer to control my temperature

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about this a lot lately as "Santa" (hubs) offered to buy me a controller for Christmas. I've researched the Apex (Classic and newly released), the ReefKeeper and the Profilux and I honestly can't decide if I want one or not - is that weird or what?

On the one hand, I feed my fish before work in the morning, and several times this year I've had to turn the car around because I couldn't remember if I plugged the pumps back in. A controller would prevent that. Some of the redundancy sounds like a great idea, such as controlling the heater. And stress over the health of my tank does cast a certain pall over our vacations, which the ability to remotely monitor would either largely solve (which I think is my husband's true motivation LOL) or might make worse, if I got an alarm but was in Jamaica and couldn't address it. I could do some cool fun stuff with a controller (like have more control over my vortech pumps) but that falls into the "want not need" category.

On the other hand, everything that needs to be controlled in my tanks already is, with the exception of still needing an ATO for the second build. Why spend $400-900 more? I know myself well enough to know that I absolutely won't use any system to its full capacity...I'm technology capable but not technology addicted. This statement sums up my attitude too...

I'd rather spend my time maintaining my tank than maintaining the stuff that maintains my tank.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as reef keeping is my hobby, so is the automation. You can automate for cheap if you know how to code/understand simple electronics. I designed and built my own controller and still expanding on it. I implemented a lunar cycle and weather into my lighting because why not? Modified a Tripplite 1U power supply to have switchable outlets that I can control. Working on creating a controller for my xf150. Working on enhancing my code so the lightning dawn/dusk adjusts with the seasons/location choice. Working on a control system for a calcium reactor. I do all this because it's fun. I also do manual stuff that I enjoy. And to be honest, since I developed my automation, everything is better. Less of me meddling around and tweaking stuff and more time to just sit and observe my reef.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to go out of town for 8 days at a time for work... without automation I would not be able to be in this hobby.

This is a dumb argument because it's subjective.
Only dumb to you and your own personal circumstances which in truth many other people's wants become your needs. I can go on away for a week with the little automation I have and not be concerned if all will be well.

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KISS method alw

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KISS method always works fine for me with little automations

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only dumb to you and your own personal circumstances which in truth many other people's wants become your needs. I can go on away for a week with the little automation I have and not be concerned if all will be well.

Until something fails that could crash your tank unless you push one button on apex fusion... :rolleyes:

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done it both ways and to be honest its just like a lot of other things, its all about personal choice. I went all out on my new tank not because I had to in order to guarentee success it was because I can and I wanted to. Was it all necessary? nope. But I can tell you it made me happy so it was worth every pnny I spent on it.

I respect the OP's opinion and believe me I planned this tank on paper before jumping in and the total bill for the auotmation and electronics was a little obscene but again. My choice, my plan, my money, my fun. I love seeing all the different routes people have taken to come to the same result. There are fine examples here of completely decked out, gilded cages that look awesome and there are also examples of craiglist recoveries with penny pinching budgets that look just as good.

The cool thing is that we have choices. There are so many options out there that everyone can approach thier tank in their own way. Hats off to the ones that do it through manual means and sheer dedication to the animals and the same goes for the ones who deck thier tanks out with all the latest tech and gadgets. For me, I just did it because I wanted to and will never fault the person who does it their way.

Peace!!

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until something fails that could crash your tank unless you push one button on apex fusion... :rolleyes:
If the apex fusion works you mean then what if it dosent? You go back to the good old stable method hey.

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree.
hjYiKzW.jpg

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done it both ways and to be honest its just like a lot of other things, its all about personal choice. I went all out on my new tank not because I had to in order to guarentee success it was because I can and I wanted to. Was it all necessary? nope. But I can tell you it made me happy so it was worth every pnny I spent on it.

I respect the OP's opinion and believe me I planned this tank on paper before jumping in and the total bill for the auotmation and electronics was a little obscene but again. My choice, my plan, my money, my fun. I love seeing all the different routes people have taken to come to the same result. There are fine examples here of completely decked out, gilded cages that look awesome and there are also examples of craiglist recoveries with penny pinching budgets that look just as good.

The cool thing is that we have choices. There are so many options out there that everyone can approach thier tank in their own way. Hats off to the ones that do it through manual means and sheer dedication to the animals and the same goes for the ones who deck thier tanks out with all the latest tech and gadgets. For me, I just did it because I wanted to and will never fault the person who does it their way.

Peace!!
I can go along with that.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I just like the hands on approach and basics suits me and my lifestyle not to mention my budget and mind set. But then at my age in life perhaps it's to much to expect any change just like Paul B on here as we share similar views and success plus the odd failures. We learnt the old way of trial and error and been there and done it our way.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a hobby. You can go as far down the rabbit hole as you might want. Nothing wrong with a basic tank with regular water changes, but many of us want to go a bit further down than that.

I'm an automation developer... was never interested in adding a computer controller to my hobby, I do that for a living, thanks, don't really want to deal with automation as part of my hobby.

My latest build, I needed two timers for my T5s, one for my Ref light, wanted a safety backup on my heater... Picked up a RKL unit. Got all of that, not much more than 3 decent quality timers, really. Ended up adding a second PB4, so that I could run a pair of wave pumps, added a solenoid to help make my ATO system a bit safer, plugged my skimmer in so that it wouldn't power up until the main return pump had been running a while after a power outage...

Add in a 4 pump dosing system for Triton Core 7... I guess I've got about as much automation as I need.

That is kind of how it started for me. I picked up a Reef Angel for around $125 in the local area and as time went on, I automated more and more. Now it controls the LEDs, T5s, refugium lights, ATO, alk/Ca dosing, etc.). Because I travel roughly 35% of the year for work, the automated dosing has been extremely valuable. Last year I received low temp alerts and was able to call my wife to investigate a broken heater; this would have gone completely unnoticed until I returned home to dead critters so that alone has made a controller well worth the investment. I'd much rather invest in a controller than have even one of my fish or corals die because of something it's capable of preventing.

Last edited:

Tyler Caviness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pumps, whether they're DC or AC, move water so we don't have to sit there with a wooden spoon and stir our tank.
What’s funny to me is that there are people out there who would probably do this and then tell the rest of us that they “are more in tune with their tank” than we are because they stir their tank with a wooden spoon. I’m not saying the OP feels that way, but it’s so odd to me that there is this sense of superiority among people who do things the “old fashioned” way.
At the end of the day, don’t we all have the same goal of a healthy tank?

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s funny to me is that there are people out there who would probably do this and then tell the rest of us that they “are more in tune with their tank” than we are because they stir their tank with a wooden spoon. I’m not saying the OP feels that way, but it’s so odd to me that there is this sense of superiority among people who do things the “old fashioned” way.
At the end of the day, don’t we all have the same goal of a healthy tank?

I find it hilarious.

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I just like the hands on approach and basics suits me and my lifestyle not to mention my budget and mind set. But then at my age in life perhaps it's to much to expect any change just like Paul B on here as we share similar views and success plus the odd failures. We learnt the old way of trial and error and been there and done it our way.

Does learning it your way make, make the automation aspect of the hobby inferior?
Don't we all learn the trials and tribulations of reef keeping, in our own way?

With all due respect, as has been proven time and again. 1 persons practice, does not work for all.

That doesn't mean that going the way of automation is a bad direction. It's just another way of practicing the hobby with an open mind.
All while being willing to try new and differint things in an effort to accomplish a set goal.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people enjoy the technology side of the hobby. I am generally one of them. Just part of the fun for us. Nothing wrong with it.

On the other hand I started a reef jar, sps only. Equipment? Cookie jar, light and tiny powerhead. No ato, no timers, no heater (until recently), no filters, no dosing. I had had so much fun with that silly jar and the SPS so far are doing well.

Hitting larger point, no one needs a coral reef in their house. Wants for the wants.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back