Poll: Auto this, auto that. Gone too far for me.

Tank Automation - Has It Gone Too Far?

• Yes

Votes: 96 14.8%
  • No

Votes: 472 72.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 81 12.5%

• Total voters
OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s so odd to me that there is this sense of superiority among people who do things the “old fashioned” way.
At the end of the day, don’t we all have the same goal of a healthy tank?
Thats funny as many would say exactly the same with those who go full blown auto and the amount of money invested in their technology . You pays your money and takes your pick and am not saying it's right or wrong just that is it a need for somebody or a want. it's as simple as that .

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have failsafes for everything running my tank. It's ran by two circuit breakers. If either trips the other will keep everything alive. If both of those trip my marine deep cycle battery backup will keep the pumps running for days. My ATO is a float switch with a pressure backup and if both of those fail I only keep 15 gallons that can go to the sump at one time with an overflow to keep my salinity level stable. I have two automatic fish feeders set to each go off on separate days so if one stops working then the fish are still getting fed every other day.

Most importantly though is my apex. It will alert me if anything goes wrong immediately.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does learning it your way make, make the automation aspect of the hobby inferior?
Don't we all learn the trials and tribulations of reef keeping, in our own way?

With all due respect, as has been proven time and again. 1 persons practice, does not work for all.

That doesn't mean that going the way of automation is a bad direction. It's just another way of practicing the hobby with an open mind.
All while being willing to try new and differint things in an effort to accomplish a set goal.

See my last reply. You choose your own route, your own limitations and of course your own budget. Personally I arrived at my own personal needs and wants, your might be different, that fine.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A well thought out and considered reply.but why bother if it means nothing to you. Oh! Isee you didn't really bother hence the copy and paste. Thanks for your ermmm valid contribution.

See below

See my last reply. You choose your own route, your own limitations and of course your own budget. Personally I arrived at my own personal needs and wants, your might be different, that fine.

My post insinuated just this - And if you really meant it, this thread wouldn't exist in the first place.

FWIW, I do not use a controller on my tank.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See below

My post insinuated just this - And if you really meant it, this thread wouldn't exist in the first place.

FWIW, I do not use a controller on my tank.
Is only an opinion which in this case is wrong and I am the only one who really knows ;)
Your entitled to your own pinions of course.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy watching both types of systems being built, run, maintained.

No qualms either way, I've done both.
I think it comes down to each persons personally and characteristics of choice.
Neither is wrong.

Two of my favorite tanks here are Elder1945 & Brandon's ..both vastly different scales and methods.

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was retired and had nothing to do all day but sit around then I would have no automation. Unfortunately that's another 20 years off for me. There are days I go without ever even seeing the aquarium because of busy schedules and the aquarium is in the Game Room that usually only gets used on the weekend.

Married life with a 2 year old, two teenagers, full time job and commitments. Without automation I wouldn't be able to have an aquarium.

Last edited:

Tyler Caviness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats funny as many would say exactly the same with those who go full blown auto and the amount of money invested in their technology . You pays your money and takes your pick and am not saying it's right or wrong just that is it a need for somebody or a want. it's as simple as that .

You’re right. It’s odd that anyone would have a superiority complex about the way they choose to operate their aquarium. Just especially odd that the old fashioned people would feel that way :p

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People seem to be under the misapprehension about what this thread is about. It's not about right nor wrongs of employing various control equipment just a simple needs and wants. I have lots of things I own which are wants far more than I have that I actually need. With the case of my tank I have both. it's just that for me personally the line between what I need and want is drawn further back than many. That is my personal choice and my tank certainly does not suffer in anyway for it. Some like these tech strong others weak, I am of the later school.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I for one love automation, the less I have to worry about the better! Now, that doesn't mean we throw our husbandry practices out the door with it. Any piece of equipment in this hobby requires maintenance. I have over the last year worked on my APEX and the automation it provides and it has made my life better "BUT" I still have to maintain it for it to provide the results I want. If you have the budget, I believe it's worth it and who doesn't like new toys.:)JMO

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re right. It’s odd that anyone would have a superiority complex about the way they choose to operate their aquarium. Just especially odd that the old fashioned people would feel that way :p
You seem to have a inferior superior complex ;)

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its easy to have success in this type of a hobby and then deem your method of success the "proper"
automation is just meant to make things easy for the hobbyist.
my lighting, ato and dosing is all auto. the only other automated function I care to get would be something like the Trident.

I did the whole manual thing for a long time, there is no way I could go back now.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s funny to me is that there are people out there who would probably do this and then tell the rest of us that they “are more in tune with their tank” than we are because they stir their tank with a wooden spoon. I’m not saying the OP feels that way, but it’s so odd to me that there is this sense of superiority among people who do things the “old fashioned” way.
At the end of the day, don’t we all have the same goal of a healthy tank?

I wonder why people get so defensive when others are just stating their opinion on a subject.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both methods (old style and fully automated) are fine if it does the job with flying colors. I have seen quite a numbers of decommissioned tank with full blown gadgets going cheap, simply because they thought with money they can have a TOTM tank. A thick wallet for a seasoned reefers is a blessing, for not so rich reefers like me, less means I can enjoy my tank more with a wet hands and towels on the floor. The only automated equipment I have are my DiY LEDs and ATO.

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My problem, is that I get sold on the technology, before I really know how to use it. And I try to use it before I really know how it works. No kidding here.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think mentioning heaters as a point of automation is not what the OP was referring to. Heaters have had thermostats for over 20 years, and still crap out.

The best automation addition of a tank, imo, has been the automation of lighting to keep it consistant. Everything else can be done manually. If dosing is a necessity for you, that's a big help to.

But really, other than that, I agree to an extent. People lose touch with their tanks. It becomes more about looking at your phone or computer to check the tank, than checking the tank.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I️ don’t really automate anything I️ could actually do myself. I️ can’t operate my calcium reactor with a daily taste test to decide if it needs an emergency shut off. A/c powerheads cannot change their flow the way a programmed dc one can. And auto topoffs are cheap (mine is anyway. JBJ ato for $40 on Black Friday in 2012. Still works). I️ guess light timers and ato are the only things I️ automate that could be done manually.

I️ have a classic apex I got for cheap but I️ really just use it for ph control and powerheads. I️ don’t automate feeding or testing or dosing or anything. I️ can see the value but it’s just not in my budget and honestly it’s not necessary. I️ don’t feel like my tank would benefit any from drip dosing vodka and amino acids any more than it would from a daily bolus dose when I️ get off work. The new and expensive monitoring options are really just sbout trying new toys and having the newest tech. Even the new apex is too rich for my blood

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back