Votes: 66 8.9%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@427HISS made a good suggestion about a poll on heaters. It's a common question - what's the best heater? Just talking brands here for this poll. So what's your favorite brand? Feel free to discuss reasons or experiences.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm really loving my Finnex Titanium.

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the same eheim jager for about 6 years. I had it on my freshwater tank and then cleaned it up and moved it to the salt when i switched. I went through a few others before I bought that one.

Im sure I just jynxed myself.

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two Eheim Jager's with Tru Temp tied into my Apex. If they stick on and overheat the tank they get shut down by the apex. If you set one a little higher and the other quits working your tank will still maintain temp. If they run dry they automatically shut down. Three failsafes for the cheapest but one of the most important pieces of life support on your tank.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had probably a total of 10 tanks in the last 11 years of reefing and I have never had a Jager go south. Hands down my pick. However, all things can fail, so I keep them on a controller program and have duplicate heaters in the system ready to roll so there is another layer of failure protection.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had probably a total of 10 tanks in the last 11 years of reefing and I have never had a Jager go south. Hands down my pick. However, all things can fail, so I keep them on a controller program and have duplicate heaters in the system ready to roll so there is another layer of failure protection.

I've had multiple jagers fail on me.

The only heater I haven't had fail on me is Finnex -- Although having had many, many, many heaters fail on me since I was a kid... It's only a matter of time.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two Eheim Jager's with Tru Temp tied into my Apex. If they stick on and overheat the tank they get shut down by the apex. If you set one a little higher and the other quits working your tank will still maintain temp. If they run dry they automatically shut down. Three failsafes for the cheapest but one of the most important pieces of life support on your tank.

I wish I could afford a apex to control several products and more important to me, warnings, but it will be a while for one.
If all of us loose fish/corals because of a heater, we'd wish we had a controller, even a low cost unit !

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Since everyone is fearful of heaters eventually failing...
How many years do you all actually get out of em before replacing?

By the way, I used to think cobalt neotherm were junk based on the fiasco a few years back...
But on recommendation from a fellow r2r’er, i went ahead and bought them.
I’ve been liking them so far, they’re flat and not too long which makes them quite low profile.
The 150w fits nicely in my sump

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an Ehiem fail on me in 6 months.. Switched to finnex and have three 150w's going strong for at least 3 years now.

Digigill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Via Aqua Titanium for about a year but the temp would always reset to the factory default when it lost power so I used my Apex to control it. But that turned out to be a mistake as one day a power glitch caused my apex to freeze and it turned out that the heater's thermostat had stopped working and was stuck on and cooked all my fish. Now I never let the Apex control the temp and only use the external thermostats for that and the Apex is just a backup to kill the power if the temp gets to high. That way if it state seeing the temp a degree or so higher that normal I know the thermostat is drifting and is stuck on.

I've had several Jager TruTemp's for about two years that I like but I've also had one of these fail on.

I have a Pro Aquatics Hydro that's been around for over 10 years. The thermostat is way off from the markings on it but it is still running well otherwise.

I have had a couple of Neo-Therm heaters but one of them died and stuck on. The other is still running good.

My direction now is to use the Finnex TH Titanium heaters paired with a standalone thermostat something like an
[URL='https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01486LZ50/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1']Inkbird ITC-306T [/URL]and the Apex keeping an eye on everything. I've calculated the average wattage used in a day to maintain the tank temp and found that I can have one small heater run constantly (for the most part) and a second much larger one that only kicks in as needed (about twice a day) when the small one gets behind or when I do a water change. This greatly reduces the number of on\off cycling the thermostats have to do which will hopefully greatly extend their life.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back