Poll: Calcium Reactor or Not?

Do You Use a Calcium Reactor - If Yes, How Many Gallons is Your Tank?

• No

Votes: 626 79.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 72 9.2%
  • 50-120 gallons

Votes: 58 7.4%
  • 121-200 gallons

Votes: 42 5.4%
  • 201-300 gallons

Votes: 40 5.1%
  • 301-400 gallons

Votes: 19 2.4%
  • 400+ galloons

Votes: 22 2.8%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always been under the impression calcium reactors are "typically" used on larger systems. I could be totally off base here, so I thought I'd ask! I would love to know if you're using a calcium reactor and if so, how large of a system are you running. So it's a two-part question - Do you use one and what size tank do you have?

Let's see what the group has to say!

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Demand also has a lot to do with it. It becomes a lot more economical than to continue to pay for dosing.

jbow50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have one, but i could see the usefulness of one on medium to large tanks because of the minor and trace mineral supplemented by the dead coral skeletons. I have a 125 that i dose elements now and I could see myself needing one for my sps dominant system in 5+ years.

Tyler_Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything under 100 gallons probably does not need a calcium reactor, as most experienced hobbiest either have really big tanks or really tiny, nano tanks. Unless your rock is bathed in sps coral, you do not need a calcium reactor.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large dual chamber mtc calcium reactor on my system. My total system volume is approximately 350 gallons. I used to run one on my old 90, as well. For me it's about stability. Once you have it dialed in, your levels should stay pretty constant.

Nik Mason

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I have a 140 gallon system with a calcium reactor, I have It set at 6.5ph which give's me calcium of 450 all the time in the DT.
Regards,
Nik

Nik Mason

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I have a calcium reactor, I set it at 6.5ph which give's me a very stable calcium level of 450 in the DT.
I have a 140 gallon system
I spend £7 on co2 every 3 months, I keep two bottles of co2 with a third always at the LFS being re filled.
Regards,
Nik.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always been under the impression calcium reactors are "typically" used on larger systems. I could be totally off base here, so I thought I'd ask! I would love to know if you're using a calcium reactor and if so, how large of a system are you running. So it's a two-part question - Do you use one and what size tank do you have?

Usually what happens with larger systems is people realize how expensive two part gets.
Two part is cheaper to setup, but more expensive in the long run. It's exponential with larger systems. CaRx is more expensive to set up, but man... a tank of C02 and bag of media lasts forever.

I understand starting with Kalk, or two-part in the beginning... but IMO, a move to a CaRx makes more financial sense long term, and it's also healthier for the tank since it adds minor trace elements.
I also find the reactor to be easier. Alk and Calc are added in balance. So I only need to check Alk every few days.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else running calcium reactors find their alk stays very high?
Like Randy says above, gotta tweak your settings.
Bring the effluent pH up by decreasing your c02 and/or increasing your effluent flow rate.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the people that use a calcium reactor on a 50-120 gal tanks:

- Is that total system volume or just display volume?
- What calcium reactor do you use?
- What input method do you use, i.e. manifold, standalone AC pump, controllable DC pump, etc?
- How do you control flow thru the reactor?
- Size of CO2 tank and how often do you refill? I know this is based on coral consumption, so please include info on your tank consumption rates.

I'm interested in running a calcium reactor for the stability factor, but want to understand a bit more before I make the plunge.

Also, does anyone running a calcium reactor use an electronic flow control valve on CO2 supply?

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

- Is that total system volume or just display volume? 120g Display
- What calcium reactor do you use? Geo 612
- What input method do you use, i.e. manifold, standalone AC pump, controllable DC pump, etc? Sicce pump for now, eventually a peristaltic pump.
- How do you control flow thru the reactor? Precision Needle Valve
- Size of CO2 tank and how often do you refill? I know this is based on coral consumption, so please include info on your tank consumption rates. 10g tank. Gonna last at least six months based on usage so far. Don't remember how fast my alk drops in 24 hours.... .5 dkh maybe?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run both a calc reactor and Kalk stirrer on my 100 gallon. The Kalk stirrer runs from 3am to 9am with the calc reactor
24/7

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

- Is that total system volume or just display volume? 100 gallons total volume
- What calcium reactor do you use? Genio
- What input method do you use, i.e. manifold, standalone AC pump, controllable DC pump, etc? Own DC pump
- How do you control flow thru the reactor? Tap on outlet.
- Size of CO2 tank and how often do you refill? I know this is based on coral consumption, so please include info on your tank consumption rates. 2kg bottle last about 6 months

I'm interested in running a calcium reactor for the stability factor, but want to understand a bit more before I make the plunge.

Also, does anyone running a calcium reactor use an electronic flow control valve on CO2 supply?
Apart from the solenoid valve on the gauges I only use a needle valve to control the bubble rate. Ido have a PH controller but have ot hooked it up.

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

- Is that total system volume or just display volume?
- What calcium reactor do you use?
- What input method do you use, i.e. manifold, standalone AC pump, controllable DC pump, etc?
- How do you control flow thru the reactor?
- Size of CO2 tank and how often do you refill? I know this is based on coral consumption, so please include info on your tank consumption rates.

- Is that total system volume or just display volume? 80 gallon display with 55 gallon sump
- What calcium reactor do you use? Geo nano
- What input method do you use, i.e. manifold, standalone AC pump, controllable DC pump, etc? Sicce pump
- How do you control flow thru the reactor?pump that came with reactor
- Size of CO2 tank and how often do you refill? 5lb and once a year for refill.
I also use the carbon doser regulator and it's super easy to use. Once I got it set up it's kept my parameters perfect. I use to do 2 part, I just hated having to mix it up all the time.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a calcium reactor. I have a mixed reef that is heavily populated with SPS
Total Volume is 355 gallons. Aquarium is 255 gallon.
Calcium Reactor is GEO 618

I guess you can say they are typically for larger aquariums with bigger bioloads are allot of corals consuming calcium. I started out with smaller aquariums and never needed one. I was content
with putting a half teaspoon of this and half teaspoon of that every week or so to keep the parms in check. When I got to a bigger aquarium and started heavily stocking it with sps, clams, lps, etc.
you quickly realize that its hard to manually keep up with the calcium consumption of the aquarium and its expensive to keep buying stuff. At this point, no matter what size the aquarium....I think
its a good idea to start looking at alternatives.

I chose to go with a calcium reactor. Its a great way to balance calcium and alkalinity. You fill the reactor with dead tumbled. The reactor's ph is dropped to slightly acid to dissolve the old skeletons
back into the water column. So basically you are breaking the skeleton back down to every element it used to form its skeleton. So you get all the calcium, and all the other major and minor trace elements
in your aquarium for your corals to thrive. You have to set your effluent at a rate where your corals are consuming it to reach that balance.

Now don't let anyone fool you here. You will still have to have some trace elements and calcium etc hanging around to adjust your water everynow and then as your aquarium may get more stocked
and use more or less than what you are feeding it.

Its one of the best purchases I made for my aquarium. Keeps everything nice and stable once dialed in. Very few adjustments are needed here and there. Almost set it and forget and the media and CO2
last for a very long time.

I hope this helps. My advice is if you have a Calc Reactor its best to have a controller to control it. One PH probe in the reactor to maintain PH and controller will turn your electronic co2 reactor on off
as needed to keep ph right.

FlyinBryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah are you having problems with Ca dropping on you? Have you tried a dosing pump first? Are you running kalk?
Or like so many of us, you just look for an excuse for a new gadget? I know I do!! GL!

billw

Acroholic in Training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You probably need a "if no, how large" section. One reason for going to a calcium reactor is that mixing up 2 part gets out of control.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back