Poll: Coralline Algae - Do you try to control it?

Do you try to control Coralline Algae?

• No - I just let it grow where it grows

Votes: 128 28.0%
  • Yes - I scrape it from areas I do not want it

Votes: 232 50.8%
  • Yes - I have a Sea Urchin that keeps it in check

Votes: 13 2.8%
  • I've never had an issue with CA

Votes: 33 7.2%
  • I can't seem to grow CA

Votes: 49 10.7%
  • Other - discuss in thread

Votes: 2 0.4%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Member @Why-Me had a good suggestion for a poll. We're curious to see what people's thoughts are on Coralline algae. Do you just let it do its thing or do you try to control it in some manner. There was a poll on Sea Urchins earlier this week and it was discussed there. I for one just let it go because I've always been under the impression Coralline growth is a sign of a healthy tank.

So what's your take on CA?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never been able to grow coraline to save my life. However, after recently switching to two part, my back wall has a couple spots that are getting bigger and bigger. I won't let it grow on the sides or front glass, but the back glass can do whatever it wants :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my front and one side glass clean but otherwise let it grow where it wants. My back glass and the other side were completely covered until I got a longspine urchin. I didn't get the urchin to control the coralline, but the lil guy has chomped on it!

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great answers I asked because I see so many threads with people stating they can't for the life of them get coralline to grow. Also see the opposite where people scrape, treat or get urchins to get rid of it. I've also read that it is a sign of "healthy" water parameters. And also read that LED lighting may have something to do with the lack of growth of coralline algae. Personally I think it looks great in a tank but agree having it all over the front or side glass might be a nuisance.

RUNVS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great answers I asked because I see so many threads with people stating they can't for the life of them get coralline to grow. Also see the opposite where people scrape, treat or get urchins to get rid of it. I've also read that it is a sign of "healthy" water parameters. And also read that LED lighting may have something to do with the lack of growth of coralline algae.
I would disagree that LEDs cause a lack of growth, I run 2 Hydra 52HDS over my 65 and I have coraline that grows so thick and fast its unbelievable I have to pull my power heads ever 4 to 6 weeks and give a vinegar bath and scrubbing to keep them performing so I would say LEDS can definitely grow Coraline!!!

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clear it off of the glass. However, Well he rose decently on the glass,it doesn’t seem to be very keen on growing on the rocks. :(

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it covering all exposed surfaces of rocks, and also all over the back wall. Mix of purple and pink forms. I scrape it off the front and side glass, just like all other algae.

IMG_4936.JPG

And also read that LED lighting may have something to do with the lack of growth of coralline algae.

This appears to be wrong. I've got luxurious growth of coralline in a 1 year old tank under AI Hydra 26HDs, and coralline starting to appear everywhere on dry rocks in a 2 month old tank under Radions. My personal opinion is that coralline algae requires virtually identical conditions as do most sps stony corals - clean water, low nutrients, high alk and calcium, good light intensity and spectrum, and lack of competition from faster growing species. Maybe addition of strontium to the water, although this is anecdotal. I like to have coralline on all rocky surfaces because, once it is well established, it becomes much harder for nuisance algaes to gain a foothold.

If anyone's interested, I have a couple of posts in this thread describing one way to establish coralline fast in a new system.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Control it on just the front and side glass.
Rock looks better purple and red. No issues with coral.
Agreed. I don't mind it on anything other than front or sides. It can grow anywhere else.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t mind it anywhere other than on any glass or the back wall of the tank. I try and keep it clean as it gives more ‘depth’ to my system.

Apart from that it can grow wherever it wants and I seem to remember reading it’s a sign of a healthy tank. Or I might have imagined that part!

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want it to cover the whole tank, except for the front wall, it covered my last one and I'm working on it again. I'm seeing a few spots on the rocks now, I can't wait for it to be back. It looks great to me and makes the reef look much more natural than just white rocks, plus if it grows well it tends to outcompete the scum algae that tends to grow on the rocks

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep it off the glass and back walls, let it cover the overflow and anywhere else it wants to grow. I have Radions and no problem growing coralline.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%

Back