Poll: Distance to Your Favorite LFS?

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by dbl, Nov 3, 2017.

?
  1. 1-10 Miles

211 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. 11-20 Miles

145 vote(s)
    22.0%
  3. 21-30 Miles

76 vote(s)
    11.5%
  4. 31-40 Miles

55 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. 41-50 Miles

31 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. 50+ Miles

119 vote(s)
    18.0%
  7. I pass by one or more LFS to get to my favorite

102 vote(s)
    15.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dbl

dbl It Takes Less Energy to be Nice Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Since we are going in to a weekend and stopping by your favorite LFS to check out what's new is so irresistible, thought it might be fun to see just how far you are willing to travel to get to your favorite LFS. Also curious if you pass by others to get to the store of your choice.

Scott's reef and Zack Klabunde like this.
    Tags:

2. jboone82590

jboone82590 Well-Known Member

I have 3 LFSs close by within 20 or 30 min. I drive over an hour to STL MO to go to the LFSs there.

DSC reef likes this.
  3. DSC reef

DSC reef Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

World wide corals! We leave Brevard county just to go visit Josh and the crew. Always great and friendly service as well.

4. Labridaedicted

Labridaedicted Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I've got 2 faves, one for prices and one for quality. The cheaper one is like 45 or 50 miles. The high quality one is about 10-15 miles. I pass a handful of stores to get to either of these.

5. jbow50

jbow50 Well-Known Member

1 lfs 30 minutes away. Not really worth the trip unless im in that area.

6. b3ja

b3ja Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Have about 6 nearby over here.. the closest took me about 10 minutes driving. Lol

DSC reef likes this.
  7. Krzydmnd

Krzydmnd Well-Known Member Partner Member 2018

I drive an hour and a half to go to my favorite here in PA, passing by one that has gone down hill drastically in the past 10 years.

I don't mind one bit. It's a fun day trip and there is a bottle shop in the same strip so I load up on beer too.

It's always hard not to keep peeking in the box on my way home!

DSC reef likes this.
  8. andrewkw

andrewkw Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

All my favorite Lfs are 400+ miles away. The closest one is about half that distance. Depressing just typing that. I used to live within 20 mins of 6 or so reef shops and within an hour of 12+. Now I only get to go shopping a couple of times a year. If you ever think about moving somewhere that doesn't have any reef shops I'd advise against it!

Bunnee911 and Krzydmnd like this.
  9. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Well-Known Member

Head of the Chesapeake, North East, Maryland
    I have one favorite because they QT everything and treat as needed. They're approximately 16 miles away. I pass 3 others, including one that's directly across the highway from my house.

Bunnee911, Zack Klabunde and DSC reef like this.
  10. jd371

jd371 Well-Known Member

I'm fortunate to have a really good shop just 10 minutes from my work. It's one of three shops I go to on a regular basis, all of them are within 20-30 minutes from my house. There are a few other shops worth going to but are a little bit further away so those I save for weekend trips or if I'm in the area.

11. want2bsleepy

want2bsleepy Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

We have to drive to another state to reach any. Thankfully, the closest one, which happens to be our favorite, is only an hour away. There are about 5 others within another 30 minutes of that.

12. crabs_mcjones

crabs_mcjones I was a drab little crab once. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

My favorite one closes to me is about 68 miles away. I have to go from Fond du Lac, down to Milwaukee

Zack Klabunde likes this.
  13. Kman237

Kman237 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

My favorite store is 52 or so miles away I pass by multiple other fish stores. It's my go-to place for fish If I need something quick I'll stop by the store that's only a few miles away.

14. twistedfinn967

twistedfinn967 Well-Known Member

No poll option for "Don't have one"? Mine went out of business. Any at least decent stores are well over an hour away.

15. Fin

Fin Let the Fin Begin! R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Louisiana Reef Club

Wait, are we counting PetCo? If so, I will have to change my vote. :)

16. HippieSmell

HippieSmell Active Member

I think maybe anything over 30 miles away qualifies as a remote fish store, not local.

17. Labridaedicted

Labridaedicted Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I think it's relative. My commute is over 50 miles each way, so I consider anything under 50 local, haha

Zack Klabunde likes this.
  18. Caseyoidae

Caseyoidae Well-Known Member Catskill Reef Member Build Thread Contributor Hudson Valley Reef Keepers

I don't really have one either, I'd say craigslist and the sales threads on here are my favorite

19. S-t-r-e-t-c-h

S-t-r-e-t-c-h Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

The closest LFS here in town has a decent selection of tanks & dry goods but I don't think I'd ever buy a fish there. It's sad really, the fish look terrible. There's another smaller store a little farther out (maybe 5 miles from here) that I'd buy corals from, for sure. They just moved their location and their fish still looked questionable, but I'll hold final judgement until the store is resettled. I still stop in both regularly though, just to peruse what's new.

For me though, my best LFS options are to stop in the Orlando stores (~2 hours away) on my monthly trips down to Miami for work...

DSC reef likes this.
  20. Beardo

Beardo Well-Known Member

I have a favorite for fish at 49 miles and a favorite for corals at 61 miles. There are closer stores but worth the drive for me. The distance wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for Bay Area traffic.

Draft saved Draft deleted