Poll: Favorite Starfish

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by dbl, Jan 25, 2018.

?
  1. Brittles

116 vote(s)
    24.6%
  2. Serpents

55 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sand Sifters

65 vote(s)
    13.8%
  4. Sea Stars (Fromia) - Red/Orange/Burgandy

80 vote(s)
    17.0%
  5. Linckias

116 vote(s)
    24.6%
  6. Red Knobs

2 vote(s)
    0.4%
  7. Chocolate Chips

13 vote(s)
    2.8%
  8. Other

24 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. dbl

dbl It Takes Less Energy to be Nice Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Continuing our clean up theme this week, let's talk stars. Some we purchase, some come in as hitchhikers, some just seem to appear out of nowhere. But of those you have experience with, what is your favorite.

GoVols, Bouncingsoul39, WWIII and 2 others like this.
    Tags:

2. WWIII

WWIII Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor LMAS Member

I love Fromia starfish, unfortunately they always seem to go downhill and dissenegrate after 6 months to a year for me. 2nd choice would be mini brittle stars, they stay small and hidden mostly but serve a good purpose I feel as part of the cuc!

3. nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel Jack of All Trades, Masters in One R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

I know sand sifting stars have a bit of a rough reputation of eating everything they can and then starving to death, but the one I've had for over 2 years in a 20 gallon aquarium has done great and to me is a valuable member of my cleanup crew :)

I also have a serpent star but all it does is hide under its rock all day so I really never see it.

GoVols, WWIII and Lovemyreef2015 like this.
  4. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Sea stars and linckia because they’re brilliantly colored and reef safe.

I prefer the former mostly due to their level of hardiness.

5. Lovemyreef2015

Lovemyreef2015 I love Acans! R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365

I'm a fan of both serpent and brittle stars. I love how active they are. One that we had would come out to get her food and take it from out hands. Sadly she disappeared during one of our moves a few years ago. So for now I settle for our micro brittles:)

6. ThunderGoose

ThunderGoose Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

I really, really like my serpent star, Sally. Sally will come out and take food from me a couple of times a week. I used to have a couple of brittle stars but they never came out and I think they've been killed by my mantis shrimp. I also have a common starfish who is fun to watch and gives my tank that "classic" beach feel even though she's small and not very colorful.

7. ajm83

ajm83 Active Member UK Reef Club Member

Not sure these count technically as a seastar or not but "feathered sea stars" are beautiful, though from what I gather nigh impossible to feed properly

8. andrewkw

andrewkw Active Member Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Believe it or not my favorite would be asterina. They require no care, are excellent cleanup crew members and reproduce readily. I love them as members of my cleanup crew, unlike snails that need to be replaced every 3 years or so. Linkias are beautiful though.

9. saltyhog

saltyhog Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2018

Definitely has to be my blue linckia. He's been in my tank since 2014 and has survived a lot of ups/downs and one move.

GoVols and Lovemyreef2015 like this.
  10. Kman237

Kman237 Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Serpents for sure. I have two, one with a star in the middle of his body and my all time favorite is my harlequin starfish. The Blue Linkia is my next favorite but I haven't had one live past 6 months. Comparing that to my two current starfish that have been with me for over two years and have moved multiple tanks makes them my favorite. Here are some old pictures of the two.
    C5B0F476-8BBC-4837-9F13-CD6C38A7188B.jpeg
    9B22F4E9-3FC5-48A9-8559-C2156E8DC70B.jpeg

11. Bouncingsoul39

Bouncingsoul39 Well-Known Member

I love micro brittle stars that come as hitchhikers on real ocean live rock. They are great for CuC. For ornamental stars we buy, Serpent Stars are my favorite. They're hardy, and great for eating left over food. Fun to watch them "walk" around with all those legs. There are a couple really beautiful color variants available occasionally. There's a solid bright orange one and a nice solid bright purple one. I've also seen a super rare creamsicle one that was orange and white banded.

GoVols, Rakie and Lovemyreef2015 like this.
  12. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

For me I love the fat smooth skin of the Linckia!

GoVols, sfin52 and Mark Derail like this.
  13. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Super cool serpants! That first one is awesome!

Kman237 and GoVols like this.
  14. cracker

cracker Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Iv'e only had brittle stars from TBS rock. Several got pretty big. They would stand up on the legs like an umbrella when fish tried to steal their dinner.

GoVols likes this.
  15. lacrosseboss18

lacrosseboss18 Active Member

I gotta post on this one because my vote was the odd ball out. I voted chocolate chip for my reef tank because my harlequin love them.

Pelagic One, GoVols and sfin52 like this.
  16. crabs_mcjones

crabs_mcjones Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Do asterina starfish count? they're the only thing I can keep in my tank ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

GoVols, sfin52 and jimo12 like this.
  17. Rakie

Rakie Federal Coral Reserve R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award SCMAS Member Build Thread Contributor

Other: Micro brittle stars

GoVols, crabs_mcjones and zachxlutz like this.
  18. Rakie

Rakie Federal Coral Reserve R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award SCMAS Member Build Thread Contributor

@dbl -- Every time you make one of these threads it's always me that picks "other" lol.

GoVols, sfin52 and crabs_mcjones like this.
  19. Alex Costa

Alex Costa Active Member Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Star nardoa is my favorite....
    Has one for a long time. It ate asterinas, it was reef safe, very colored.
    Definitelly will have another.

sam5.jpg
    sam3.jpg
    sam7.jpg

rck329, GoVols, sfin52 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Jeff Hall

Jeff Hall Active Member

Love Linkias but near impossible to keep. Had a Fromia for a couple months, pretty cool as well.

GoVols and wolfpackdl90 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted