Poll: How close is the nearest Saltwater Fish Store to you?

How close is the nearest Saltwater Fish Store to you?

• 1-5 Miles

Votes: 236 34.9%
  • 6-10 Miles

Votes: 154 22.8%
  • 11-20 Miles

Votes: 125 18.5%
  • 21+ Miles

Votes: 121 17.9%
  • Don't have one close enough

Votes: 32 4.7%
  • I shop online only

Votes: 8 1.2%

• Total voters

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like there is one 4.5 hrs one way from me :( same state
or over in Idaho about 1.5 hrs each way. so each I am kinda screwed online shopping for me . dang shipping coast are more than the corals...

Where do you live?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live 30 minutes north of Manhattan and am blessed with lots of LFS in NY, CT and NJ.

My favorites:

• House of Fins in CT is one of the best I have seen. They have real live rock. tons of coral colonies, fish and anemones. Very knowledgeable and friendly. Pricey though.
  • Manhattan Aquariums on the West Side of Manhattan (same owner as UniqueCorals online) has quite reasonable prices and a great selection.

meldu512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three blocks away!! Lucky for me a dedicated aquarist and successful businessman opened "Into The Blue Aquatics" in Georgetown, KY just north of Lexington Ky.

furyofthegnomes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Buffalo,NY and the closest store to me is A Reef Creation at less than 2.5 miles away. It's a great store with helpful people working there and they have nice livestock there at good prices as well. Needless to say, I'm probably in there entirely too often. Other than them I have two other nice saltwater specialty stores within twenty minutes.

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
21 miles to house of tropical.had one 3 miles away but he burned down.did the reefing community a favor when that happened.

tony'stank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pet Connection is 15 miles away. Fish Doctors, Canton is 20 miles away. Both are very good. Pet Connection is where I got my first tank 35 years ago and also my most recent tank

Jason Schwend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a couple within a 10 minutes from me. Aquariums unlimited, pet paradise and 2 others.

Thekegk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tropicorium(Romulus, MI), I used to be about 3 miles but moved and now I'm about 10. I also like pet connection(Livonia, MI) but that is about 25 miles. if I am feeling a day trip I do Pruess's Pets(lansin, MI) about 1.5 hr 1 way. that place is pretty amazing in general and very knowledgeable.

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Southwest Michigan coast is devoid of LFS.
Here’s the 3 closest:

M V Pets 53 miles east
Bluefish Aquarium 57 miles north
Old Town Aquarium 60 miles due west by boat

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are not to far from me also. Aquarium village- I could never bring myself to buy a fish from them since rocky left. They always have sick and dead fish in the tanks. I do get salt,meds and other little things from them so I do give them a [emoji1531] for that but not animal care[emoji20].
I mostly buy my livestock from Advanced or Pets Warehouse and know what you mean about the livestock at AV. I buy my Instant Ocean from them because ever since Aquatic Pets closed they have been the cheapest. I also buy my Hakari from them at 3 for $10, and it's the only shop that I know of that sells pods.
You should try and get to Advanced I think it's one of the best shops around hear. I'm dropping off a Birds Nest colony this Sunday for store credit.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
221 miles, Alpine Koi in CO is the closest. I am not counting Petco. Takes us 4 plus hours depending on traffic one way. We check out a few other places while there, plants etc.. You never know if they are even going to have what you need.

Haberdasher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"The Aquarium" in Culver City is the closet one at 6 miles but I don't go there because it's a horrible aquarium store. I used to go to Jim's Exotic Fish in El Segundo until he retired and shut down the store. Now, as far as I'm concerned, there aren't any good aquarium stores on the west side of Los Angeles. I drive 20 miles on the 405 freeway to Age of Aquariums in Long Beach to find a good aquarium store.

dough

Reefing since '95
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atlanta Aquarium (Duluth, GA) 13 mile drive, owned by Rit. He's been in the SW hobby for years.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 68 45.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.6%
Back