Poll: How close is the nearest Saltwater Fish Store to you?

How close is the nearest Saltwater Fish Store to you?

• 1-5 Miles

Votes: 236 34.9%
  • 6-10 Miles

Votes: 154 22.8%
  • 11-20 Miles

Votes: 125 18.5%
  • 21+ Miles

Votes: 121 17.9%
  • Don't have one close enough

Votes: 32 4.7%
  • I shop online only

Votes: 8 1.2%

• Total voters

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drive 2.5 hrs to nearest LFS or I buy online. I have actually been thinking about shutting down my 280 gallon. Just don't have the drive anymore to keep up. I have to tear it apart and remove all my monti caps they are over growing the tank and corals. I might have more drive if it was in main living room but no place for it. We are looking to do some traveling up to a month or more at a time.

Jeremy Luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have more drive if it was in main living room but no place for it.

My single largest regret. In my previous home I had a 40 gallon cube in my dining room. A place it was seen and admired constantly. In my new house I put my new "large" tank that I put a lot of money into down in the man cave basement. I just don't spend any time down there and I'm realizing how disappointing this is now.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My single largest regret. In my previous home I had a 40 gallon cube in my dining room. A place it was seen and admired constantly. In my new house I put my new "large" tank that I put a lot of money into down in the man cave basement. I just don't spend any time down there and I'm realizing how disappointing this is now.
I know what you mean, Every tank I had before was always where I could watch it while watching TV it was always where I had to walk by it. I moved and went larger. Maybe I should think about going smaller and moving tank. I also wish I never went over 24" deep.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones near me worth mentioning are:
Aquarium Village - 5 miles ( very good shop that's been around for years )
Pets Warehouse - 10 miles ( they have a few locations, I've been to two of the closest ones, it's like a Petco the only difference is a great salt water section with people who know what they are doing )
Advanced Marine Aquatics - 12 miles ( IMHO the best shop around here and my job is just minutes away so I'm there more often )
Tropical Island Aquariums - 17 miles ( the furthest of the bunch I visit but worth the trip )
Including the ones above there are 8 shops within a 30 min drive of where I live.

These are not to far from me also. Aquarium village- I could never bring myself to buy a fish from them since rocky left. They always have sick and dead fish in the tanks. I do get salt,meds and other little things from them so I do give them a [emoji1531] for that but not animal care[emoji20].

Pets warehouse is ok the one in Carl place I like to go there as they always have the little things in stock like replacement parts and hard to find things. The best part about them is that they don’t know there wrasses to well so you can find a gem for a very good price.
The other one in copiague is good for corals also I should be going there Friday or Saturday to pick up some sticks and salt.

AMA have not been there yet but heard good things about them will have to pass there one of these days.

Tropical is good also don’t know for now have not been there in a while.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocala Reef is (according to Google Maps measure distance tool) a 14.78 mile drive from my house...

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets see.. by my house, there's a Pets Warehouse about 5 miles from me.

from my job.. Another Pet's warehouse 2 blocks away. Aquarium Village about 2 miles, and my favorite: Advanced Marine Aquatics, about 5-6 miles. Sometimes for lunch, I'll take a trip to all stores.

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are not to far from me also. Aquarium village- I could never bring myself to buy a fish from them since rocky left. They always have sick and dead fish in the tanks. I do get salt,meds and other little things from them so I do give them a [emoji1531] for that but not animal care[emoji20].

Pets warehouse is ok the one in Carl place I like to go there as they always have the little things in stock like replacement parts and hard to find things. The best part about them is that they don’t know there wrasses to well so you can find a gem for a very good price.
The other one in copiague is good for corals also I should be going there Friday or Saturday to pick up some sticks and salt.

AMA have not been there yet but heard good things about them will have to pass there one of these days.

Tropical is good also don’t know for now have not been there in a while.

I agree about Aquarium Village. Prices went up and a lot of dead fish. The quality in corals went down too.

Visit AMA! They're closed Mondays. Great people and excellent quality fish. Their SPS collection is awesome too

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lucked out, mine was one light down from my house and recently moved even closer. They are now less than 1 mile from my house and it takes me less than 5 minutes to get there. Corals4cheap is their name.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree about Aquarium Village. Prices went up and a lot of dead fish. The quality in corals went down too.

Visit AMA! They're closed Mondays. Great people and excellent quality fish. Their SPS collection is awesome too

Yea AV prices went up crazy they raised the price of esv by 10 then blame esv.

How are the stick prices at AMA for the good sticks ?
May make a pass on my way to PW.

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea AV prices went up crazy they raised the price of esv by 10 then blame esv.

How are the stick prices at AMA for the good sticks ?
May make a pass on my way to PW.

I think they are very fairly priced. Sometimes they'll post sales on another forum).
They have higher quality fish. I got a pair of frost clowns for $50 (for both) while most places they're $50+ each.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 minutes away and the only store I trust is Unique Aquaria.
Honorable mentions that are an hour-hour& a 1/2 are Tropic Isle, OSA(Ocean State Aquatics), Wet Pets, Blake's Aqua Den, and Love the Reef.
Petco and Petsmart are 3 minutes away.

Mark3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for one that is closer to home....right now I drive 31 miles to Tampa to Marine Warehouse....anybody know of one closer to spring hill....30 miles north of Tampa?
It's about an hour and half to drive to World Wide Corrals over in Orlando.

Mark3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so please shout out some great stores in the Tampa/Orlando area.....great if they happen to be about 30 miles North of Tampa

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bob's tropical Fish & Petco within 10 Miles
Fishy Business, Columbia SC, about 70 Miles
Plan on checking out Aquarium Specialty, NE Columbia, SC next time I'm up that way.

MrJoel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8.5 miles (12-15minutes) to Neptune Aquatics in San Jose CA.

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco is nearest at 40 min away (It's a nice one), Then I have 2 each an hour away in opposite directions (Ace hardware Weston and Just Pets Appleton) There are several in the Milwaukee and Madison area that are 2+ hours away. My new favorite is the Feed Bag in Mequon 2.25hrs away.

Back