Votes: 13 1.8%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fellow member @NowGlazeIT offered a good suggestion for today's poll. We had a poll a while ago that specifically asked if you target feed your corals. This poll broadens that a little to how do you feed your corals. It's multiple choice as many may feed different species in different manners. So if you feed your corals, let's see how you do it. Feel free to discuss what you feed below.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't spot feed often, I generally let them grab whatever's floating around in the water and photosynthesis. However, I will on a very rare occasion give them reef roids. I know I probably should more, but I only ever get it as a free sample when I order corals or chaeto from unique corals. Is this something I should be doing regularly or let it be :)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose Red Sea "Reef Energy" several times a week.

But... When when I had Scoly's... I'd suck the RE in a syringe and stop all the pumps. Then I'd juice up the scoly's with the RE from the syringe.

Too much flow in my reef for scoly's at this time :(

Have not spot fed my BTA's in over 2 years.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some say you need to spot feed goniopora. Well, I'll say I haven't fed my goniopora in almost two years. That goes for the rest of my corals as well.
20171112_125127.jpg

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef chili is mixed in with my diy frozen food cubes and once a week reef chili is fed at night. I have only clowns and a firefish so they also eat the reef chili.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the above actually. Broadcast, Target feed and just trying to keep nutrients where they should be in general. Plus light of course.
I've been trying Reef Roids and BRS Reef Chili with good results, zoas seem to really love Reef Roids. Before that I just used the cloudy part of the water after thawing Rod's Food and stirring it up in a small bowl.
When broadcast feeding (and fish feeding) I put the Apex in a feed mode that turns off the return pump and leaves on two circulation pumps but at slowest speed. Then they switch back to normal speed 5 minutes before the return pump comes back on. For target feeding I turn off all water movement. Skimmer stays off two hours post feed.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost everything in the ocean has a mouth and if it’s large enough to eat what my fish eat I’ll give it a direct blast here n there. Most corals I carry will actually display hunger, With sticky barbs or swelling. If I feed too much the sticky barbs rerelease the food. If I wait a while to direct feed it gets to the point where my acans literally take piscine pepples 1mm right from my finger tips. For those that prefer the more natural approach please keep in mind that in the wild corals grow and position them selves where they are most habitable and a lot comes down to light and flow. So if you noticed your corals barbs our out all the time and he’s not getting food because the flow and coral positioning aren’t optimal then help the little guy out with a direct feed and see how it takes to it!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have directly fed LPS corals in the past but now that my tank is bigger and corals are harder to reach it's all about just being fed with the fish. That's the way it's mostly been anyway throughout my reefing career. HA!

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef roids and chilli broadcast at night once a week. Feed frozen once to tank during day for fish. Figure that is enough.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to the cube of Rotifers or Reef Plankton I'll add to the fish food mixture and broadcast feed a couple of times a week, I'll do a separate feeding of either Reef Frenzy, Coral Snow, or Phyto once a week with the return pump off for a half hour.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back