Poll: How do you feed your corals?

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by dbl, Jan 16, 2018.

?
  1. Spot/target feeding

284 vote(s)
    40.6%
  2. Broadcast feeding

358 vote(s)
    51.1%
  3. I don't - I rely on photosynthesis and what's in the water column

180 vote(s)
    25.7%
  4. Other

13 vote(s)
    1.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dbl

dbl It Takes Less Energy to be Nice Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Fellow member @NowGlazeIT offered a good suggestion for today's poll. We had a poll a while ago that specifically asked if you target feed your corals. This poll broadens that a little to how do you feed your corals. It's multiple choice as many may feed different species in different manners. So if you feed your corals, let's see how you do it. Feel free to discuss what you feed below.

DSC reef, rudyrizzo, jsker and 6 others like this.
    Tags:

2. crabs_mcjones

crabs_mcjones Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I don't spot feed often, I generally let them grab whatever's floating around in the water and photosynthesis. However, I will on a very rare occasion give them reef roids. I know I probably should more, but I only ever get it as a free sample when I order corals or chaeto from unique corals. Is this something I should be doing regularly or let it be :)

3. GoVols

GoVols "VFL" R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award MTRCMember Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I dose Red Sea "Reef Energy" several times a week.

But... When when I had Scoly's... I'd suck the RE in a syringe and stop all the pumps. Then I'd juice up the scoly's with the RE from the syringe.

Too much flow in my reef for scoly's at this time :(

Have not spot fed my BTA's in over 2 years.

DSC reef, jsker and Flippers4pups like this.
  4. Flippers4pups

Flippers4pups Fins up since 1993 R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor

Mine gets what's left after all the fish eat. No spot feeding.

DSC reef, madweazl and GoVols like this.
  5. reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Some say you need to spot feed goniopora. Well, I'll say I haven't fed my goniopora in almost two years. That goes for the rest of my corals as well.
    20171112_125127.jpg

MJC, jsker, NowGlazeIT and 1 other person like this.
  6. Jimmy Lee

Jimmy Lee Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I feed LRS reef frenzy to my fish and my coral catch the rest. 1-2 times a week I spot feed my Scolys and SPS Reef Roids.
    1.jpg

7. dbl

dbl It Takes Less Energy to be Nice Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I'm in the don't directly feed coral camp as well. They eat what the fish eat and what the fish do after eating. :eek:

8. NS Mike D

NS Mike D Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I admit, I spot feed (in addition to broadcast) for my own entertainment. I never get tired of watching corals eat.

drblakjak55, jsker, sfin52 and 2 others like this.
  9. 64Ivy

64Ivy Active Member

Spot feed my ‘lps’, generally broadcast the ‘sps’. Rule of thumb: If I can see it’s mouth, that’s where I’ll put the food.

jsker, sfin52 and NowGlazeIT like this.
  10. Kman237

Kman237 Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Both spot feed and broadcast feed. You want them to grow and color up feed them :)

11. NowGlazeIT

NowGlazeIT Valuable Member R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Boom. this is me too :D

Karl M, jsker and NS Mike D like this.
  12. Gareth elliott

Gareth elliott Well-Known Member NJRC Member

Reef chili is mixed in with my diy frozen food cubes and once a week reef chili is fed at night. I have only clowns and a firefish so they also eat the reef chili.

jsker likes this.
  13. Tanghoarder

Tanghoarder Member

I just turn my mp10s off and let it float throughout the tank

jsker and NowGlazeIT like this.
  14. Mick1of10

Mick1of10 Member R2R Supporter

I also spot feed and broadcast. Corals have never complained - at least not out loud.

Todd Shoemaker, jsker and NowGlazeIT like this.
  15. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

All of the above actually. Broadcast, Target feed and just trying to keep nutrients where they should be in general. Plus light of course.
    I've been trying Reef Roids and BRS Reef Chili with good results, zoas seem to really love Reef Roids. Before that I just used the cloudy part of the water after thawing Rod's Food and stirring it up in a small bowl.
    When broadcast feeding (and fish feeding) I put the Apex in a feed mode that turns off the return pump and leaves on two circulation pumps but at slowest speed. Then they switch back to normal speed 5 minutes before the return pump comes back on. For target feeding I turn off all water movement. Skimmer stays off two hours post feed.

jsker likes this.
  16. NowGlazeIT

NowGlazeIT Valuable Member R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Almost everything in the ocean has a mouth and if it’s large enough to eat what my fish eat I’ll give it a direct blast here n there. Most corals I carry will actually display hunger, With sticky barbs or swelling. If I feed too much the sticky barbs rerelease the food. If I wait a while to direct feed it gets to the point where my acans literally take piscine pepples 1mm right from my finger tips. For those that prefer the more natural approach please keep in mind that in the wild corals grow and position them selves where they are most habitable and a lot comes down to light and flow. So if you noticed your corals barbs our out all the time and he’s not getting food because the flow and coral positioning aren’t optimal then help the little guy out with a direct feed and see how it takes to it!

DSC reef, jsker and cracker like this.
  17. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I have directly fed LPS corals in the past but now that my tank is bigger and corals are harder to reach it's all about just being fed with the fish. That's the way it's mostly been anyway throughout my reefing career. HA!

DSC reef, jsker, sfin52 and 1 other person like this.
  18. madweazl

madweazl Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

This what I do as well; I feed LRS Reef and Herbivore Frenzy twice a day (not together, usually one in the morning and the other in the evening).

jsker and NowGlazeIT like this.
  19. cumbeje

cumbeje Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Reef roids and chilli broadcast at night once a week. Feed frozen once to tank during day for fish. Figure that is enough.

jsker likes this.
  20. jd371

jd371 Valuable Member

In addition to the cube of Rotifers or Reef Plankton I'll add to the fish food mixture and broadcast feed a couple of times a week, I'll do a separate feeding of either Reef Frenzy, Coral Snow, or Phyto once a week with the return pump off for a half hour.

jsker likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted