Timely tank treats: How often do you add food to your aquarium?

How often do you add food to your aquarium?

• More than twice a day

Votes: 122 28.0%
  • Twice a day

Votes: 140 32.2%
  • Once a day

Votes: 146 33.6%
  • Every other day

Votes: 17 3.9%
  • Every 2-6 days

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Less than weekly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

What food that you add to your tank is important and how much food that you add to your tank is also important. However, today let’s talk about how often you add food to your tank. Of course, it will depend on what is in your aquarium and whether you have fish, coral, or both. Fish typically require more regular feedings that coral, but even fish may not need to be fed daily (or do they?). For coral, some reef keepers regularly feed their coral either directly or by broadcast feeding, whereas others don’t actively feed their corals at all and depend on the lighting and what is in the water column to provide the necessary care. Whatever you keep in your aquarium, please tell us how often you add food to your tank? Feel free to share any tips or recommendations on the intervals for your feedings.

Avast_AutoFeeder.jpeg

Photo by @Leishman

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarBanner.png

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the fish twice daily
Frozen krill, Mysis, brine and bloodworms, reef frenzy and PE Mysis. 1 sheet Nori.

For the corals
The above after consumption and processing (poop) and once every two weeks, Red Sea A+B, Live Phytoplankton and Reef Roids.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish get 2 "meals" a day. Flakes and/or pellets in the morning and a healthy chunk of Reef Frenzy in the evening. I also feed a sheet of Nori every day or two. They sometimes get some snacks in between mealtime.

Corals mostly get what they get, but I'll occasionally spot feed.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I flood the tanks with frozen food with a few drops of selcon and vitachem added at least twice a day. I don't rinse any food, everything goes in. Pellets several times a day. My fish are pretty good beggers so they get a lot of snacks through out the day.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We feed once a day. I try to vary feeding times just to keep it more natural. I rotate 8 frozen foods and 3 pellet foods. I think diversity in feeding is important. I occasionally target feed coral, but they get plenty just with tank feeding. I almost bought this food yesterday! I was just unsure how my fish would respond to stick on food.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

What food that you add to your tank is important and how much food that you add to your tank is also important. However, today let’s talk about how often you add food to your tank. Of course, it will depend on what is in your aquarium and whether you have fish, coral, or both. Fish typically require more regular feedings that coral, but even fish may not need to be fed daily (or do they?). For coral, some reef keepers regularly feed their coral either directly or by broadcast feeding, whereas others don’t actively feed their corals at all and depend on the lighting and what is in the water column to provide the necessary care. Whatever you keep in your aquarium, please tell us how often you add food to your tank? Feel free to share any tips or recommendations on the intervals for your feedings.

Avast_AutoFeeder.jpeg

Photo by @Leishman

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarBanner.png

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.
This is a really good question - my answer 1/day. The multiple feedings IMHO are not needed. Most fish we keep eat throughout the day on the rock. In fact - I wonder about those who feed multiple times/day - whether they are making obese fish - however, on the other side of the coin, people (like me) who feed less - are we doing wrong. My guess its a combination - I think feeding more often is more important with young fish - or a young tank. Tanks that are mature - have plenty of food to sustain the fish IMHO

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I give small feedings every 30 minutes during a 4-hour window. 30 seconds from my Plank, programmed using my Apex. For the actual mix, it's a combination of a variety of freeze-dried foods from BRS - mysis, copepod powder, rotifer powder, golden pearls, and Benereef. I also sometimes add TDO Chromaboost to the mixture.

Fish are very healthy, but I probably do need to dial it back a little... hair algae is also very healthy!

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
150 gallon tank heavy fish load 6 cubes Mysis, Brine, Home made in the am TDO pellets in the evening and Avast Reef Jerky every 1.5 hrs with Avast feeder during lights on. Sheet of Nori every other day Corals get the fish poop.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
What is you’re DIY mix ?
shrimp, squid, clams, oyster, shrimp, nori, red algae, selcon, vita chem, vita-x(reef moonshiners), hikari sinking algae wafers(just whatever i had left since the bag was almost done), tdo chroma boost pellets (but i added them after everything was blended), benepets/reef roids/brs reef chili mixed into the blended mix all scooped into silicone ice tray mix and left in the freezer. 1 cube a day

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back