Timely tank treats: How often do you add food to your aquarium?

How often do you add food to your aquarium?

• More than twice a day

Votes: 122 28.0%
  • Twice a day

Votes: 140 32.2%
  • Once a day

Votes: 146 33.6%
  • Every other day

Votes: 17 3.9%
  • Every 2-6 days

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Less than weekly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a larger feeding plan than probably necessary, but my LPS and SPS seem to love it.
1. I feed for 5 minutes twice a day from the Vast Plank feeder - I feed a combo of Reef Jerky, flake, and Freeze dried mysis, I also add Benepets coral food to the plank feeder, trying that out to see how it works for dispensing that.
2. I feed 6 cubes of frozen food every other day - 2 mysis, 2 brine, and 2 krill
3. I feed a whole sheet of Nori 3 times a week

I have 15 fish, several of them very large. They hang around the pipe of the plank feeder almost all day, waiting for stuff to come out. I think 1-2 fish get 80% of what comes out, which is why I feed more cubes to supplement the other fish.

My corals love the food rich environments as well, I do not target feed anything. I also broadcast feed trace elements - Red Sea A, B, C, D once a week, trickle drip Kalkwasser with a doser, and dose alk and calcium as well.

The biggest issue with feeding so much is phosphates. They build up over time, which requires phosphate-e dosing a couple times a week to keep them managed.

shanzfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pinch of pellets each evening for my reef and freshwater tanks and dose with reef frenzy twice a week. A dose of amino acids in the morning (but I don’t count that as food). My other tank gets 4 rinsed cubes of mysis a day for the seahorse and eels. So far algae has stayed under control.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
varies from 0-4 times a day sometimes I skip a day sometimes I feed the up to four times a day. Depends on my schedule but they get a mix of pellets flake diy seafood mix and nori.

Shibaken3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a really good question - my answer 1/day. The multiple feedings IMHO are not needed. Most fish we keep eat throughout the day on the rock. In fact - I wonder about those who feed multiple times/day - whether they are making obese fish - however, on the other side of the coin, people (like me) who feed less - are we doing wrong. My guess its a combination - I think feeding more often is more important with young fish - or a young tank. Tanks that are mature - have plenty of food to sustain the fish IMHO
My fox face starts to much on my zoa if i dont feed mutiple time a day. :downcast-face-with-sweat:

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4x per day minimum. I often add fresh hatched baby brine shrimp 1-2x/day during the work week or shoot in some Reef Nutrition Mysis Feast or PacPods inbetween feeds. I feed using a rigged up liquid food dosing system and Eheim pellet autofeeder (saving for an Avast Plank!).

Minifoot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diy frozen once a day

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen in the evening alternating mysis and LRS Fish Frenzy soaked in Selcon, Vitachem and garlic xtreme. Alternate in the morning, brine shrimp, flake, reef jerky and TDO ChromaBoost.

rknapp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3x / day via auto feeder, 1 more manual on evenings when I am home (a little more than 60% of the time). Doing this to keep my pair of anthias happy, as well as the rest of the fish crew.

TinnysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a school of Anthias :star-struck: and they are getting 3x per pellets and then whenever they beg for more mysis or more pellets. They're in quarantine now. Once the lids arrive for my new tank it'll be time for them to go in. Can't wait to add fish!!

Soon ....

Wait Goodbye GIF by Silicon Valley

shrimplover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have fish/shrimp only (and macro algae in display). I feed frozen foods like artemia and bloodworms mornings and night and just a few AF pellets or Ocean reef flakes for them to pick on mid day.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh. This is the question that i get the most raised eyebrows from when i answer....

So... I feed 20+ times daily.

---With my refrigerated auto feeder, i feed Reef Nutrition foods 12 x a day:
-3 x Mysis Feast
-3x R.O.E.
-3x Beta Brine
-3 x Arctipods
---The plank also Feeds 1 x per hour the lights are on (9x)
---I manually feed Selcon soaked mysis and either Rods Food or my homemade seafood blend once a day ( sometimes 2x if I'm around all day)
---1 sheet of nori daily.
(sometimes i throw in some pellets if i just wanna watch them eat)

ADDITIONALLY, I add live phyto, live baby brine, and live rotifers in the morning before lights on as well.

Ok, I think that's all...?

makin gainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my 200 gallon display twice a day with reef frenzy. All my fish are thicker than they should be but it keeps everyone happy! Wife said the Naso looked a little too skinny so I took care of that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back