Poll: How long do you wait to permanently place corals?

How long do you wait to permanently place new corals?

• 1 week

Votes: 84 13.8%
  • 2 weeks

Votes: 66 10.9%
  • 3 weeks

Votes: 47 7.7%
  • 4+ weeks

Votes: 105 17.3%
  • I don't wait - they are glued where I want them right away

Votes: 229 37.7%
  • I QT my corals so it depends on the QT process

Votes: 54 8.9%
  • Other - please explain in thread

Votes: 22 3.6%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious how long folks wait to permanently place their new coral purchases on their rock work. Do you give them a change to acclimate to your system by placing them on a frag rack or at the bottom of the display before gluing them to the rock work? Or do you just dip and glue hoping they will be okay where you place them?

I personally dip them and place them on a frag rack positioned towards the bottom of the display. I then gradually move the rack up over a few weeks to see how everything does. Once acclimated, I glue them where I think they'll do best.

So what's your process for new corals?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So coral qt isnt running yet, but future plan is qt under the same light as my dt. Move the frag rack as needed in qt then when qt is over permanently place in dt in a location of matcing par.

Theory no practice of this yet [emoji23]

Current corals were permanently placed after several weeks of acclimating in the dt.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT them and dip while in Qt. Bring them in my DT and they sit on a rack till I figure out where are they going.
Mine sit on a frag rack for awhile. But I have noticed that I am having better luck when placing SPS in the rock work.

Adele

I don't sing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After dipping I put them on my frag rack and let them chill. I like to see some growth there first, then I will try and prop them in a hole in the live rock where I want them, then if they do well in that spot I will get the glue/epoxy.

recess62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always dip. I tried the frag rack but the corals always seemed to languish. NOw they get glued hopefully to their permanent place. I have had to move a few who were unhappy but all in all this has been successful for me

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually the lfs will let me take a par reading then I try to match that in my tank until I slowly move them up or down even where I want them . For instance, I have a shelf rock in a lot of light. The zoas here are used to this light. I will slowly move up another color zoa till it's used to the bright & then attach

Mavric

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put all my frags on the bottom and inch them closer to home over the span of a few weeks. Most of the time it's because I'm never 100% sure on where I want them.

Speaking of which, is there anything better out there for frag placement on rock other than Seachem Reef Glue? I can't seem to never make a massive mess with that stuff and it drives me crazy getting it off my fingers.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It varies really ..... depending upon the source of the frag. Generally a new frag goes into a lower light area of my frag tank, gradually moved to higher light as it recovers from shipping, acclimates, gets color back, etc. I'd say nominally it's 4 weeks plus before it gets moved to the display. If I trade for something that was display-established, then it usually goes straight into the display.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on both the source of the coral and type. Corals that are typically placed on the sand (plate corals, etc) go straight to their permanent location after moving to the DT. Acros start in a frag rack on the back wall which is not as brightly lit as the rock work. Slow acclimation to my lights over 3-4 weeks for them.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my corals are on portable mounts. BIGUNNAT.jpg

Found something similar. https://fragtasticreef.com/frag-donut-with-frag-plug/
Frag_Donut_with_Frag_Plug__62248.1455321326.1280.1280.jpg

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an example of a piece that I got recently from LFS. It's very pale, probably partially bleached, and putting it straight under my main lights would almost certainly spell its doom. I think it's an aussie strawberry shortcake, but time will tell.

IMG_1296.jpg

Mavric

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an example of a piece that I got recently from LFS. It's very pale, probably partially bleached, and putting it straight under my main lights would almost certainly spell its doom. I think it's an aussie strawberry shortcake, but time will tell.

IMG_1296.jpg
That frag tank looks like one of the local LFS I go to here. All of the corals are bleached, closed up, or straight up dead. The ones that still have color come at a WAY huge premium. Kills me. Hope it lives to see better days!

BluTang85

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I always float the bag to reach temp and then dip and drip acclimate, then add the corals at the very bottom of the aquarium, after a few days to a week I will begin moving them up with frag racks or by rock work every few days to make sure there still happy until I find the spot I want them. I’ve has great success with this and I don’t do it any other way.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope it lives to see better days!

I got it from probably the best LFS near me - was 'right off the boat' so some stress is inevitable. Have bought a handful from them that way and all have made it.

Mavric

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it from probably the best LFS near me - was 'right off the boat' so some stress is inevitable. Have bought a handful from them that way and all have made it.
That's awesome! I don't have much experience bringing stressed out corals back to life so I try to stay away from buying frags like that.

TangingOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lazy reefer here. They get placed whenever I'm motivated enough to do so. Usually when I've collected too much and tank starts to look cluttered, but then again I've also glued down frags right away as well.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 117 58.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 61 30.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 73 36.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.0%
Back