Poll: How many reefers have successfully kept a butterfly?

How many of you have successfully kept a butterfly fish?

• YES SUCCESS!

Votes: 151 46.0%
  • Sadly no....

Votes: 90 27.4%
  • Plan on trying soon!

Votes: 87 26.5%

• Total voters

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys do you think it’s possible that a lot of butterflies that have been considered NOT reef safe for so long perhaps could be safely kept with corals now due to better filtration and increased feeding?

I have been in the hobby nearly 15 years and the same butterflies have been considered impossible to keep with corals but back then it was a struggle to keep excess nutrients down whereas now people can feed much more and modern filtration methods keep the water quality from degrading.

Perhaps we are avoiding certain species unnecessarily.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To early to say sucuessfully, but i have had my CBB for 2.5 months. He was shipped with Ick and was very skinny. He has gotten much thicker, eats all kinds of food including Nori. He is by far my favorite fish, the personality on him is incredible. I can put my face on the glass and he will swim right up to me, no fear. His feed response is so cool to watch, they can do this head twitch, first time you see it you may think the fish has flukes. The tank is in sight of the refrigerator, so when its about feeding time and he sees me go to the freezer out of the corner of my eye i'll see him start to twitch, once he sees the feeding cup he turns into a spaz haha love that fish.

Attach97541_20181204_133822.jpg

Attach98631_20181215_165725.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your question about keeping butterflyfish in general or keeping them in a reef tank? If the latter, there are a few that are generally safe and mostly easy to moderate. Pyramid, zoster and copperband can be kept. Copperband is a timid fish and won’t do well with too many aggressive tankmates like tangs. Then there are others that are somewhat more cautionary with corals. Yellow semi, for example, can be done, as can some others. Many are obligate coralivores, so clearly those won’t work. If you are talking about a FOWLR, then your options obviously expand. Still the obligate coralivores won’t work. There was an article in Coral magazine where the author sparkled food into a coral skeleton as potential food substitute.

OP
OP
DraggingTail

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your question about keeping butterflyfish in general or keeping them in a reef tank? If the latter, there are a few that are generally safe and mostly easy to moderate. Pyramid, zoster and copperband can be kept. Copperband is a timid fish and won’t do well with too many aggressive tankmates like tangs. Then there are others that are somewhat more cautionary with corals. Yellow semi, for example, can be done, as can some others. Many are obligate coralivores, so clearly those won’t work. If you are talking about a FOWLR, then your options obviously expand. Still the obligate coralivores won’t work. There was an article in Coral magazine where the author sparkled food into a coral skeleton as potential food substitute.
My question is on the Vagabond Butterfly. He is in there. I will give it a try. See if he kills my SPS or LPS.

He was nipping at them but mostly the gravel and rocks.
IMG_20190120_201958.jpeg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vagabond is ok. It’s not an obligate coralivores, though will eat corals if available. Curious how it does for you. Nice fish.

Lb71

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CBB over 2 years now. Local fish shop. Was difficult to get to feed until I used a feeding station set up for the fish’s style of eating of poking their snout into holes and crevices. Had in quarantine 6 weeks Prazipro was only treatment used. Now eats like a pig, loves to eat out of my hand when feeding frozen. Never was able to get the fish to eat anything but all types of frozen. Especially LRS products.

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have :
Pakistan (Chaetodon collare),9 months
Pair of Indian Vegabond (Chaetodon decussatus)8 months,
Mitratus (Chaetodon mitratus) 18 months, although it is 12 years old.

Before this I had a Tinkeri, blue strippe butterfly(Chaetodon fremblii), Had these for 3 years until I lost everything in a tank crash.

I feed a variety of frozen, pellets, algae sheets, clam on the half shell, live black worms.

OP
OP
DraggingTail

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have :

Before this I had a Tinkeri, blue strippe butterfly(Chaetodon fremblii), Had these for 3 years until I lost everything in a tank crash.

I feed a variety of frozen, pellets, algae sheets, clam on the half shell, live black worms.
Is this a reef tank? Can you elaborate on the type of coral you keep?

Thanks!

OP
OP
DraggingTail

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have :

We like pics too!

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ DraggingTail They are in a FOWLR. This time of day it is impossible to get decent pictures as the tank is across from a sliding glass door and it is nothing but glare on the tank. I will take some pics later.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I added a poll!

I have kept an Aussie Copperband Butterfly since July and shes a fatty!

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CBB are pretty easy if you get then eating finely chopped mussel meat from your grocery store. Frozen, canned, fresh, it doesn't matter. Mussels are #1 imo even over clam meat. Haven't seen many fish turn down mussel meat.

Keep water quality decent....no problems

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read an article recently that showed what were believed to be coral obligate feeding butterflies in the Mediterranean from the Red Sea so they must be able to adapt. At least over time.. unfortunately I’m not sure where this article was from but perhaps Reefbuilders.

OP
OP
DraggingTail

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the Vagabond was going to town on my SPS today. All my polyps were in. So I moved him to a LPS tank. My polyps are back out and happy now.

ReefTeacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read an article recently that showed what were believed to be coral obligate feeding butterflies in the Mediterranean from the Red Sea so they must be able to adapt. At least over time.. unfortunately I’m not sure where this article was from but perhaps Reefbuilders.

I read this article too. A description of from the University of Tel Aviv where Chaetodon larvatus is found now in the Mediterranean, where there are no hard corals. This species was a Red Sea endemic, and thought to be an obligate corallivore, but that cannot be in the Mediterranean. I wrote the author in Tel Aviv, asking if there was a gut content analysis but never heard back. This is a Holy Grail Fish for me!

hawkeye1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my CBB for probably 1 1/2-2 years and he eats out of my hand. I bought him to eat the aptisia and he is now one of my favorite fish. He eats frozen food and black worms. For anyone that has a problem with a finicky eating fish try black worms they work!!

hawkeye1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my CBB for 1 1/2-2 years and he eats out of my hand. I bought him to eat aptisia and now he is one of my favorite fish. He eats frozen food and black worms. For anyone that has a finicky eating fish try black worms they work!!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back