Votes: 263 54.8%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This poll is directed to the users of T-5's. Curious how often you change your bulbs. Do you have a set schedule and simply change them, or do you watch the light levels and only change them when you notice deterioration in light?

Please describe your methods/reasoning below.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted 11 to 12. Iv'e had this T5 fixture for a year now . Just ordered my 1st round of replacement bulbs. I will do a par test before & compare to the test I ran when They were brand new. Curious to see if there is a difference.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had mine long enough to even change them once ;Hilarious
However, I have seneye, and at a year I plan on testing my lights and changing them at that point based off of the results :)

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Hybrid fixture you can see it in my build thread. I change my bulbs every 9-11 months. I like to switch them a little before a year as they do tend to lose some par as the age. That's just my personal preference. I ALWAYS replace the bulbs slowly so that I don't shock my corals with the new bulbs. One bulb every two days.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to T5 and have a ways to go....So when should I start looking at the bulbs

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every 8-10 months. Even though they last longer they do change and par is reduced. Even if the change is minimal I try to keep everything as stable as possible, including lighting.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're changing out your T5s at less than 14 or 15 months, this video may save you some money...
The results of that one test are certainly not conclusive, for several reasons. That is just one scenario and only uses certain bulbs, photoperiods, and conditions. There are many variables that impact bulb life and I've seen significant changes in spectrum and par in 12 months. Just something to think about.

Whether or not it will impact the tank is another story, but the longer you go the slower I'd replace them to prevent shock. Just my two cents

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The results of that one test are certainly not conclusive, for several reasons. That is just one scenario and only uses certain bulbs, photoperiods, and conditions. There are many variables that impact bulb life and I've seen significant changes in spectrum and par in 12 months. Just something to think about.

Whether or not it will impact the tank is another story, but the longer you go the slower I'd replace them to prevent shock. Just my two cents

Agreed, you should only replace one T5 at a time...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back