Poll: So is 60 too old to get back in the hobby?

So how many old timers are still in the hobby?

• 50 - 60 years old

Votes: 204 24.4%
  • 61 - 70 years old

Votes: 86 10.3%
  • 71 years old plus

Votes: 20 2.4%
  • I am under 50 years old

Votes: 527 63.0%

• Total voters

Gordonjones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deciding to downsize 15 months ago (6000 sq ft to 2400) gave up 6 tanks (210, 180, 3-55's and a 45 (all salt water)). A year without saltwater was not fun. I am now in the process of setting up a RedSea 650 peninsula. Hopefully be wet in 60 days (plumbing, electrical etc. to do it right) trying to convince gf that we will be needing a second tank in the hall (kitchen area). She thinks I'm nuts (oh well). By the way, did I mention that I'll be 73 in February ?

Piranhapat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been in saltwater for 21 years. And 40 years in freshwater. So I'm an old timer because am 55. Yes, 3/4 my life is almost over. But this hobby makes me feel like I'm 18.

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started back in salt at 59 and still there at 62. Have had tanks for a lot of my life. I will say it’s a bit overwhelming sometimes to try figuring out the technical stuff and electronics but I am waiting on a 180 custom tank and have a 120 about to become a reef display. It has its ups and downs but I love the ups. Enjoy the ride!

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The oldtimer poll should be how long you have been reefing- not how old you are, because seriously- who cares?
My first saltwater tank was over 50 years ago, and I still suck at it... haha

Kevin Freemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 74 and have had tanks on and off since I was 11. I had salt back in the 70 and 80’s. So your not to old but things have changed so IMHO it is like starting all over with lots to
So at 60 years young I decided to get back into the hobby after being out for 28 years.
I did think maybe I was too old but 60 is the new 40, right????????
I purchased a used 60 gallon cube and stand off craigslist. I made a mounting board to hold all my electrical on the back. Because of the door on the stand I made a sliding platform to pull my 20 gallon sump out so I can service it.
My wife is thrilled (if you believe me I have some swamp land to sell) at all the boxes I've received of aquarium products. In fact the UPS and Fed Ex drivers and I are on a first name basis now!
I just hope she never sells it for what I told her I have in it because she is going to lose a ton!
Anyway, I would like to hear how many of you guys are in your 60's or 70's and are still enjoying the hobby.

IMG_0455.JPG

IMG_0456.JPG

IMG_0460.JPG

IMG_0461.JPG
So at 60 years young I decided to get back into the hobby after being out for 28 years.
I purchased a used 60 gallon cube and stand off craigslist. I made a mounting board to hold all my electrical on the back. Because of the door on the stand I made a sliding platform to pull my 20 gallon sump out so I can service it.
My wife is thrilled (if you believe me I have some swamp land to sell) at all the boxes I've received of aquarium products. In fact the UPS and Fed Ex drivers and I are on a first name basis now!
I just hope she never sells it for what I told her I have in it because she is going to lose a ton!
Anyway, I would like to hear how many of you guys are in your 60's or 70's and are still enjoying the hobby.

IMG_0455.JPG

IMG_0456.JPG

IMG_0460.JPG

IMG_0461.JPG
I’m 56 and planning on getting back into the hobby after 20 years. My it has changed some.

Reef Homer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_0455.JPG

IMG_0456.JPG

IMG_0460.JPG

IMG_0461.JPG

I myself are only 53, but one of my customers is 82 and he has a beautiful reef tank. So compared to him you're almost a spring chicken. :)

KWSanders

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was in the hobby back in the day of undergravel filters and t-12 fluorescents while in high school. Tried again in my 30’s but just had no time or space . Now planning to retire at 59 1/2 and am building a house around my aquarium. Yes in the wall 1000 gallon with work room behind for sumps , pumps etc , extra footings etc to support the weight. I would think more people would get back in it once retired and kids grown up

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, as I have read all the posts to this thread, what I see is retirees and soon to be retirees have something that folks in their prime do not have...more free time! A valuable commodity when keeping aquaria. Maybe after 60 is the best time for enjoying a tank!

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Aquarium hobby definitely becomes much more fun if you can give it time.:) Today's world people run around and get involved with way to many things and don't concentrate on just a few things in life. Everyone wants to do it all. Well you will never be good at anything if you try to do everything.:) I see a lot of burn out in the hobby by people going all in and buying every piece of equipment that they can buy. The problem is that time is what you really need a Time is not in a box on a shelf that you can buy.:)

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 55 and just about wheelchair bound and I only got back into the hobby after a 10+year break and I'm enjoying the hobby more this time around. There is far more interaction with other hobbyists from around the world than there was the first time around.
I'll wish you good luck with your newfound love of the hobby and hope you get loads of enjoyment out of it.

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
56 here and had a 40 gallon softie tank 20 years ago. Had a bb gun incident with one of my sons and raised cichlids for a while after that. pretty boring after saltwater. But I'm back in now with my first big tank. (actually 1 big and 2 small tanks lol)

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

oceanrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8E1F85F1-BD52-4D72-A7F4-CE68FC27C4EF.jpeg
Just joined up.

Was a dedicated hobbyist since I was 10 yrs old. Even for marine biology degree. Lol
But gave up hobby 21 yrs ago to raise my kids. Now they are grown so I am back to my hobby. 56 yr old now.

It keeps us focused Lol. Great set up.
Here is mine

bluewill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with keeping saltwater aquariums in the mid to late 80's when I moved to south Florida in my 20's. I had been following articles being written in FAMA magazine by George Smit . I think these articles started everything we now do . I was Full in ! We were making all the filtration equipment "Trickle Filters" ect. at our homes. .I Started building protein skimmers in the early 90's.The only technical information available was trickling in from Europe . I had a couple of phone ( yes Telephone ) conversations with Albert Theil , after he published "Advanced Reef Keeping " and I was in even deeper. Quit my job, to try and make a living from selling invertebrates, and equipment. I had 8 tanks running in my 2 bedroom apt, 3 or 4 5 ft tall protein skimmers, and a 100 gallon plastic tub on my kitchen floor filled with Mangrove mud , and mangrove trees , PVC plumbing running everywhere from room to room. 1995 had a big fire ( overflow box leaking down wall into electrical outlet ) lost everything . The obsession had to end at that time , got married had kids , and lots of distractions.
This past December at a garage sale and saw a 30 gal tank for 5 bucks , and it starts again. Im 57 , and full in again . Amazing to me is that not much has changed, the technical debates I'm reading here on R2R now, are continuations of the same from the late 80's , pre internet( except no led's lol) . Loving it ,and hoping I'm still going into my 80's Borsalino's post above hits the nail on the head for us "old timers" still reefing or recently gotten back into. "more time , more money, more patience, more expierence.....................

luca1998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 70 and have had reef tanks since 1986. My current tank is a 120-gallon mixed reef. If you're relatively healthy, have the time and in a position to afford some of the ridiculously high prices we pay for equipment and animals, then I say go for it you won't regret it.

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is it with age? What is the definition of old? I am 64 and got back into reefing at 63.

I have more time now, a lot more money and I need something to help with the PTSD besides drugs, booze and girls.

Old is when you are dead and buried.

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started reefing at 60 when I retired. Africans for forty years. 90g mixed reef now 3 yrs old. Learned a lot $$$ about what won’t grow and what will. Keep it simple. Ten times flow. I have same DC return pump. Love it. Good light. I started with dead rock. Light, porous, no bad hitchhikers. R2R great site

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started reefing at 60 when I retired. Africans for forty years. 90g mixed reef now 3 yrs old. Learned a lot $$$ about what won’t grow and what will. Keep it simple. Ten times flow. I have same DC return pump. Love it. Good light. I started with dead rock. Light, porous, no bad hitchhikers. R2R great site

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back