Poll: So is 60 too old to get back in the hobby?

So how many old timers are still in the hobby?

• 50 - 60 years old

Votes: 204 24.4%
  • 61 - 70 years old

Votes: 86 10.3%
  • 71 years old plus

Votes: 20 2.4%
  • I am under 50 years old

Votes: 527 63.0%

• Total voters

BAMABUFF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So at 60 years young I decided to get back into the hobby after being out for 28 years.
I did think maybe I was too old but 60 is the new 40, right????????
I purchased a used 60 gallon cube and stand off craigslist. I made a mounting board to hold all my electrical on the back. Because of the door on the stand I made a sliding platform to pull my 20 gallon sump out so I can service it.
My wife is thrilled (if you believe me I have some swamp land to sell) at all the boxes I've received of aquarium products. In fact the UPS and Fed Ex drivers and I are on a first name basis now!
I just hope she never sells it for what I told her I have in it because she is going to lose a ton!
Anyway, I would like to hear how many of you guys are in your 60's or 70's and are still enjoying the hobby.

IMG_0455.JPG

IMG_0456.JPG

IMG_0460.JPG

IMG_0461.JPG

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I'm not old yet, i'm about 6 months away from being half of 60, but you know what they say "you're as young as you feel"
There was actually a poll a while back asking reefers at what age do you think you'll stop reefing, and the general consensus was until they're physically unable to. #WelcometoR2R
tenor (3).gif

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted 50-60, but I am just shy at 48. I just returned to reefing after many years of freshwater only. I talked long with my wife and spent a long time planning and we have just set up a fairly simple and manageable 45 gallon reef. My feeling was, I was getting older and if I wanted to have a another reef tank in my life, now was the best time. I can say I could not be happier.

I think if one is healthy enough to carry a 5 gallon bucket of water around, they should be fine. Since you mentioned your wife, I will say I have given mine a plan should anything happen to me in the future (as in what LFS would be best to take it down).

EDIT: And welcome to R2R!

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's an excellent hobby for ANY age provided you're willing to read, read and read some more! Also, do yourself a favor and work on getting a system build to bring water to/from the tank rather and your arms and legs, so sayith the man going on 40.

locktite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 70 years old and got back into the hobby a little over 2 years ago after having been out for over 10 years. I previously ran 2 reef tanks from about 1990 until the early 2000s. Even though I no longer had tanks I still had interest and periodically kept up what was happening in the hobby. In 2016 I decided on buying a AIO tank after a lot of decision and indecision. I settled on a RSM E-170 and felt at this point in my life I wanted to keep things as simple as I could. I have found this go around to be much more rewarding than my previous experience with maintaining reef tanks and am glad that I decided to give it another go.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! I voted the 50 - 60 range as well. The poll is a great reminder of how old I'm getting to be as if my wife's daily reminders wasn't enough.....thanks!!! Haha. :confused:

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept fish since 1982. Freshwater until 2006 when my 55 gallon lost the front seal and dumped everything in the floor.
Started salt with a Nanocube in 2007.
3 weeks into a new 75 gallon tank.

I think my 30 gallon cube would look nice with a nem and some clowns.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come on in the water feels great ! Old Timer ;) I can get away with that cause I'm close to 58 !
In all seriousness, why not Man? You deserve it! I for one would be interested in how you did things back then compared to what I was doing. A lot has changed in 30 years !

Ksmmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had fresh water fish tanks as a kid and then again in my 20's. Last year I had heart surgery and while recuperating I walked on the beach one morning and o whim was setting up a 30 gallon biocube in the afternoon. After reading tons on this site and watching many videos on youtube, I now have 3 tanks. The biocube with 4 fish and easy to grow corals, a 120 gallon reef tank with harder to grow corals and 5 fish for now. I plan to add up to 5 more fish in the future. I also have a small QT tank. I did this starting at age 59 and now 60. I make my own water, do all my own water changes (weekly), constantly look for coral to buy (even made a trip to World Wide Corals which is a 3 hour drive for me each way) and love the hobby. It's been a bumpy ride at times
but it's given me a ton of happiness and far less time to get into trouble elsewhere. :)
Mike

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
We don't grow old being fools.....all the better LOL. This is not an aged factored but rather an addiction.
Knowledge is power in this industry and age affords more time to spend on Success !!

Back