Poll: Sump Preference - DIY or Prebuilt?

Sump preference - DIY or Prebuilt?

• DIY

Votes: 239 43.3%
  • Prebuilt/Manufactured

Votes: 300 54.3%
  • Other (explain in thread)

Votes: 13 2.4%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We see a lot of threads/questions regarding sumps. Questions like what is the best sump for this tank or how do I build one for my needs? I'm curious how the members feel about sumps and whether they built their own to get a specific design, shape or size for their particular needs. Or did you find a prebuilt model that worked for you?

So, what does your sump look like. Feel free to share pictures of your setup. I'll start by saying I originally did a DIY sump out of an old 55g tank. Although it worked perfectly well, it was a pain to use. I ended up picking up a prebuilt sump and changing it out.

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have almost always used cheaper aquariums as a sump. I've used a couple of 55's and a 29 that I have modified for the task. I usually make baffles out of the cheap glass you can get cut at the hardware store, I double up the panes with some silicon between them for strength and it has pretty much always worked. I would probably prefer a nice acrylic sump but I can't justify the cost for better aesthetics.

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build your own, or have a tank maker build it for you is my preference. Two reasons,
1 - the customizability I can build exactly what I want and how I want it.
2 - I'm not acrylic worker so glass works well, plus with a glass sump if I decide after putting it to work that it's not working, cutting silicone and moving a glass baffle or installing a different baffle and other alterations like that are very simple.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv'e used all kinds of containers for sumps plastic tubs ,tank's.I built 2 plywood sumps that worked great. I could make them to fit in the stand perfectly . I built an acrylic sump that turned out Ok for a 1st try. The corners kept leaking so I had to us some silicone. My last was made using a 75 gl tank with acrylic baffles. the one thing is You can reconfigure baffles down the road . I would use a pro built sump ,they are nice. But costs too much !
Ps Would be nice to win one here ! :D

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to to use HDPE tanks for sumps as they come in a variety of sizes. I built wood frames and stands for mine as they can bow without support when they are near full capacity. I use a 265 gallon HDPE tank and a 120 gallon HDPE tank for my sump system. I don't have any baffles in the sump tanks at this time but they could be installed if I ever needed them. I like to maximize water volume which is why I went with these tanks. I also felt the cost saving of going DIY over pre-built was the way to go with such large sumps. I also needed to accommodate my DIY skimmer which was was built based on the dimensions of the sump tank.

20180418_200539.jpg

20180418_200600.jpg

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to keep my sump walls clean, not display clean but close. I've used acrylic in the past because they were common but I went a different route for the 150g build and chose a glass tank. I wanted it to look professional and didnt trust myself to do the job well so I contacted Glasscages and they responded with a very fair quote to add the baffles I wanted. In the end, it's less than half the price of an acrylic sump and wont get all scratched up when I clean the walls every few weeks. I wanted the sump as shallow as possible to make it easier to work on under the stand; the 50g long was a perfect fit for what I wanted.

37091278274_e69bb92e25_b.jpg

Things have changed a bit since this original plan (e.g. I went with an external pump and different skimmer) but the sump plan is largely the same.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went custom as well (should be an option to vote for that, although I guess other covers it), custom acrylic that is. Prebuild/manufactured sumps available just wouldn't fit the space I had available and I didn't really feel like a DIY project. So many options color wise and I was able to get a sump, skimmer, fuge, ATO and reactors all colormatched.

Forgot we demand pictures here, ignore the algae in the fuge, dosed peroxide and it killed off all my cheato but not the GHA;Shifty

20180426_211605.jpg

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried the whole DIY, but I'm horrible at it. My first sump after giving up on my DIY sump was an Aqueon Proflex 2. But I needed a little more room. So the sump I use now is the Trigger Systems Crystal 30 sump. Works perfectly :)
0etd0UAl.jpg

twudXKbl.jpg

UFjP3R2l.jpg

D3nGiMzl.jpg

HwgrPryl.jpg

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diy, cost is primary reasoning here. Very little can fail here as opposed to skimping on other equipment.

A 24” sump prebuilt is at least $200.
I spent $40 on dosing and sock holders and acrylic for baffles. Tank was free, anyone who has been in the aquarium hobby at least a decade always has a few lying around.

Money saved here goes to getting better equpiment that can fail like pumps.
0ffc7e4bac10ce7f2bf278fb9e2b3edb.jpg

Tphill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until recently all my sumps were diy. I switched one of my tanks over from Zeovit to Triton a few months ago, and decided for time and simplicity I'd do a prebuilt. Got Trigger's Triton 44. This sump looks very nice, is very well built, but there are a couple of issues, in my opinion. Skimmer section is just a bit small and the holders for the dosing tubes hold the end of the tubes in the water when the return pump is turned off. Both of these issues cost me a bit more money. The skimmer I had wouldn't fit, so had to buy a new skimmer, and I had to buy a different dosing tube holder. If this sump had been a little more adjustable, this extra cost could have been avoided. The extra cost came up to about what I paid for the sump. For these reasons, I will not buy premade and my next sump will likely be custom, either by me or someone else.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I didn't share a picture in the OP, here is what I ended up with after dumping the 55g DIY sump. I didn't make the this sump but I did make the ATO reservoir you can see on the left side.

20170521_185743_zpskuqvs7xo.jpg

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a 75 with baffles in it as much as I would love a dream box or Geo, it's hard to swallow that money spent on a sump. I originally wanted to use my 100 gallon stock tank, but didn't build my stand tall enough.

Prey

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I didn't share a picture in the OP, here is what I ended up with after dumping the 55g DIY sump. I didn't make the this sump but I did make the ATO reservoir you can see on the left side.

20170521_185743_zpskuqvs7xo.jpg
I see you use the Smart ATO, do you ever run into issues with the inside magnet piece rusting? I have twice on mine now and found that taking a little aquarium safe silicone and putting it around the seam where it rusts out helps prevent that pretty well. Luckily CoralVue is aware of the problem and will replace it free of charge no matter how old the unit is ;)

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...Luckily CoralVue is aware of the problem and will replace it free of charge no matter how old the unit is ;)

Now you tell me this...lol. Several months ago I noticed the magnet was coming apart. Mine was about 4 years old so I just assumed it had lived its useful life. I didn't want to risk it so I replaced it with a Tunze 3155. I do have another Smart ATO on my smaller system that is now running at my daughters house. If that one goes bad, now I know I can get it replaced. :D

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back