Poll: Sump Preference - DIY or Prebuilt?

Sump preference - DIY or Prebuilt?

• DIY

Votes: 239 43.3%
  • Prebuilt/Manufactured

Votes: 300 54.3%
  • Other (explain in thread)

Votes: 13 2.4%

• Total voters

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY all the time, every time. There are good ways to waste money in this hobby, and bad ways. Buying a commercial sump is most solidly in the latter for me. Make your own - better and cheaper. Last commercial sump I bought was 1988 (a Dupla trickle filter/sump for a FW tank).

Dan Snyder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love to see all the ideas! My fav are the 100g tubs creative and simply just work [emoji1360]! I went crazy custom for my dream tank $, I have limited space in my Red Sea XXL 750 so needed the compartments to work perfectly for me! Here’s a pic!
b8aca90f1fae0b4f155c059fd38cc19f.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love to see all the ideas! My fav are the 100g tubs creative and simply just work [emoji1360]! I went crazy custom for my dream tank $, I have limited space in my Red Sea XXL 750 so needed the compartments to work perfectly for me! Here’s a pic!
b8aca90f1fae0b4f155c059fd38cc19f.jpg
I like!!

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I didn't share a picture in the OP, here is what I ended up with after dumping the 55g DIY sump. I didn't make the this sump but I did make the ATO reservoir you can see on the left side.

20170521_185743_zpskuqvs7xo.jpg
I like the AutoAquas also and have one for about 3.5 years.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely Do It Yourself. Whether you build on your own or simply buy a used DIY from someone else. While some of the pre-fab sumps are gorgeous works of art, it doesn't change the fact that it's primary function is for water flow and equipment to be kept out of sight. Hence some folks spend ridiculous amounts of money for something that is designed to be hidden. DIY is functional and dirt cheap. I have my DIY that I bought used from my LFS. You can see it at about the 4:45 mark:

Lukas75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At work so no pics. But I definitely make mine out of glass tanks and hardware store glass. I’m not concerned about aesthetics with my sump and I can make it fit my equipment not vice versa.

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should probably post a picture since I answered without explanation. I prefer a setup like this, which leaves a nice section on the left which always has a constant water level. I use that section for a frag tank under my display, and for the skimmer in my stand alone frag tank.

The section that the drain fills is used for calcium reactor feed pump, chiller circulation pump when I used one, and carbon reactor pump, etc. and used to be the chaeto chamber for the display.

I keep the skimmer in the return chamber for the display since I run an ATO so the level is always constant.

EEA601E6-F047-4035-AC32-DE02CC18D193.jpeg

DougBouma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two large tubs 100 gallon each. The look has changed over time but not the set up. Making a manifold this week to replace many dumps. Check out video here.

By the way the larger the uniseal the harder it is to get the tube in them. It sucked and we used plenty of lube.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Custom for me to get the maximum volume in the space available. This one is by Trigger.

New

Now
]
How does the playmate cooler come in to play?:D

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will bot denied "Custom Acrylic" looks great when you first receive it and setup in your cabinet.
The only possible pros, that is lighter than a glass sump, and able to sustain an accidental impact. However, eventually this beautiful custom expensive acrylic sump will get nasty, dirty and will accumulate multiple scratches from cleaning the sump. Finally, what is the point to have an expensive custom sump hidden in a cabinet because your the only one that see it. When family, and friends come over to visit you, there only interest is your fish an corals. Not the setup hidden in your cabinet below. You tried to explain the expensive sump below and they say "oh" , Sorry but it's true.
I have owned several acrylic sump in the pass years, and the most paid for was $250 for 36 x 16 x16 built by Advance Acrylics that was many years ago. Now present time these custom acrylic sump are price from $500 - $1000 because the color acrylic and probe holders..lol
Through the coarse of the years I've went DIY, just recently I built a DIY sump and DIY breeder tank. If I went custom acrylic I would have spent over $1200 and I spend only $200 for both tank and sump.
Just a comparison, a 40g custom acrylic sump price over $500
I spend $40 for the 40g breeder glass tank, and $60 for acrylic baffles from Melvreef. So this sump total cost $100
Bottom line acrylic vs glass will do the same job. DIY works for me!
2b3d6cbf0efd08f9b0ff576d687e78f9.jpg

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok DIY ppl...I HATE my new R300 sump. It is too small for my tank so I have to run a very low water volume so it wont overflow when the power is off. I want to make one, as I want a special section to keep chocolate chip starfish in for my harlequin shrimp. I have been looking into HDPE tubs but I am reading it is really hard to bond HDPE for making baffles? Anyone done this and if so how? Should I look at other options? I found a 90 gal HDPE tub but I am afraid to jump into this!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back