• Below 75

• Over 82

Results are only viewable after voting.

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
79.5-80.4. I live in Phoenix so it is tougher to keep the 79 I really want, but the summers out here last from mid may to mid October. Putting together a l80 g tank so dont want to buy chiller

l.fortune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Average 78 to 80.

Screenshot_20170831-060754.png

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
low: 77.0
avg: 77.34
high: 77.7

Temp swing within .7 of a degree with the combination of two heaters and a fan blowing over the sump when needed.

temp.jpeg

Duraticate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had temperature issues over the 3 years always on the high side. I did keep mine at 82 for over a year to combat parasites. Not sure if that worked but never jad any ick issues and still dont. At one point my heater got stuck on and the tank raised to 87 maybe even as high as 90. Sure a few things died mkstly coral to the high heat. Always wondered why my turbo snails during tjat time died. So far the last 8-10months i went as low as 78 but turned it back up to 80 to try and get some faster growth. Not sure if it works but with what coral i have they seem to like the higher temp. I am just a noob so sharing for the colective knowledge. Dont give up!

Litewave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a common question, but I would like to get a poll of member's average tank temperature. I realize it can swing based on time of day/year, light schedule, etc, but just looking for an overall average.
My chiller turns on at 81 and shuts off at 78

Allenj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a common question, but I would like to get a poll of member's average tank temperature. I realize it can swing based on time of day/year, light schedule, etc, but just looking for an overall average.
77 - 78 closer to 78

luisgo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those living in countries with hot whether all year long we tend to run our aquariums at higher temperatures. I have mine at 79-81. Some run their reefs at 82 and even 84! Lower temperatures will require larger chillers and power bills!!

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the winter the tank stays at 78. In the summer my fan turns on at 81.5 and off at 81. The house stays at 72. All the pumps in the sump make a lot of heat.

Mr. Bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Head of the Chesapeake, North East, Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does an elevated temperature promote faster coral growth in a typical (tropical) reef tank?
I've always kept mine around 75, but wonder if maybe I should bump it up a couple notches?

I'm not willing to perform that experiment on my own personal reef... just saying. ;)

It's a known fact that tropical reef temps are higher than where we keep our tanks, usually in the upper 80s and even into the lower 90s in some regions. Our biggest hurdle here is dissolved oxygen; the higher the temp, the lower the O2 level, and our little glass boxes lack the millions of acres of surface area for unlimited gas exchange. Much above 80 and your pets can suffer regardless of flow or surface agitation.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
78.3 - 78.4 all year round. 220 gal, no chiller.

BlickMech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
77 is what I set my chiller at but a tank will hover at 78 to 79 because it takes up to 2 degrees to trigger the chiller to turn on. Also, do your homework stocking same reef type corals some will be living at deeper depths some closer to the surface so a degree or 3 might be whats up there. Tune your temp to be consistent with your corals rather than your fish because fish can swim all over a reef. Also, some reefs are in trouble with bleaching and large die-offs in some tropical waters. Simple do a little research and find out what reef was experiencing good growth at what year and try to get some scientific data on temps during good and healthy reef areas or years.Bet they differ at die off spots compared to healthy spawning areas or years. Shouldn't be hard to find out if you ask the right people plus they get paid to tell you these things it's their job remember. So a researcher on reef health would more than be happy to get a few or a crowd of people interested in their work.
I heard one guy say don't go above 77 F. in his video and I concur. Raising temps raises metabolisms. Conclusion tank parameters will swing more due to a higher temperature because corals and fish will be at higher metabolisms. Stress comes to mind too. I've noticed just above acceptable ranges will stress coral. A good plant, yes plant work in a reef tank trimmed to a good size will benefit your parameters on a big scale.
So researchers get paid to gather good info and I'll bet if a bunch of us start asking them to update or go back to earlier research they can give us accurate reef health.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 149 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back