Poll: What Do You Feed the Fish?

What Do You Feed Your Fish - Multiple Answers Allowed

• Flakes

Votes: 258 35.2%
  • Pellets

Votes: 476 65.0%
  • Packaged Frozen Foods

Votes: 617 84.3%
  • Homemade Recipe (Feel Free to Share in Thread)

Votes: 66 9.0%
  • Live Worms

Votes: 33 4.5%
  • All of the Above

Votes: 27 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 52 7.1%
  • I Don't Have Fish!

Votes: 4 0.5%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A member recently contacted me asking for a poll on what type of fish food most people use. So here it is. Feel free to discuss particulars below, especially if you have a homemade formula that has proven to work for you. The poll is multiple choice as most of us usually feed several different types of food.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. Those of you who are making your own food, I'd live to hear what you are grabbing from your local market.

Once my new tank is setup, I'll be switching over to live black worms and a home made frozen. Live black worms to entice picky fish in QT/Hospital tank to eat and for supplementary tank feeding. Then home made fix for general feeding.

As of now, I just feed a pre-packaged frozen mix to my Goby and Shrimp pair.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was only feeding frizen to fish in QT... then tried pellets to get them used to that for when i went away for the weekends. Now, they want nothing to do with the frozen and only go crazy over the pellets!

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use LRS reef frenzy for frozen, IMO best food on the market and Larry is always a pleasure to deal with and PE calanus. Refrigerated we use reef nutrition oyster feast and live phyto feast, Dr. G's reef cavier. Pellets we use PE mysis and ocean nutrition formula one. Reef roids for powdered food. Live brine that I gut load with phyto and reef roids gets fed multiple times a week too.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main stay is homemade and I supplement it with little mysis, Oyster Feast, vitamin C mostly. The system does really well and for about $40 I have had food for two years. I seal the food with a sealer and keep it in a deep freezer. Make sure to read the package if using frozen to see if phosphate are used in the processing and scallops are the one to mostly watch. It is always best to use fresh but frozen can also be used if slacked correctly. One can pretty much go to the local Grocery and pick up the product that are needed. One can also order product in small amount if need for the grocery.

Equipment needed: I prefer a grinder, one can use a grinder attachment for the mixer I like mine chunkier. A food processor second works too, but be careful not to puree the food. Pulse the food when use the food processor.
Reef food recipe.png

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two feedings a day, a cube of BS in the morning and in the evening live Black worms followed by a mixture of LRS and a cube of Mysis.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two feedings a day, a cube of BS in the morning and in the evening live Black worms followed by a mixture of LRS and a cube of Mysis.
Do you do anything special to keep the black worms alive or just refrigerate?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting....hmmm...

Flake, frozen, pellets, algae.

Flake for when they give me those fishy dog eyes and I don't have time to thaw frozen.
Frozen for when I know they need a good meal. Which is almost twice a day.
Pellets when I think they deserve a little extra treat.
Algae when my tangs are do tricks to pick food out of the water column. :)

TvanB1

Mostly Fish; Few breeding projects underway
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed five times a day. The apex autofeeder feeds a mixture of PE Mysis Pellet and Calan-eeze in small quantities three times a day and I feed frozen (LRS Fish, Reef, Fertility Frenzy, Nutramar Ova, Masstick, and Clams) twice a day.

Oh, and I feed nori for my foxface, goby, and wrasses.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was using Larry's for a long while, but I eventually grew to dislike all the smaller particles in it. I am now still using it more sparingly and mostly feeding PE Mysis well rinsed and chunks of shrimp to my puffer.

swensos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed LRS fish frenzy at least once a day. I haven't had a fish that hasn't started eating it almost instantly. I also have an auto-feeder with Sustainable Aquatics Dry Hatchery Diet tiny pellets. And I feed dry Nori for my Kole Tang every other day.

karo25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding once a day starting with 1/8 tsp seaweed extreme pellets mixed with spectrum pellets soaked in selcon, then mixture of mysis and reef frenzy. Also target feed my Mandarin Nutramar Ova and Nori sheets for the foxface, tang and blenny.

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my fish once day pellets, Frozen food, and live brine shrimp(Live shrimp arent fed every day). I raise the brine shrimp myself it helps out with those picky fish cough cough... my pipe fish love it. The tangs get a sheet of nori early in the morning.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed 2x's day and rotate between various frozen including nutra mar ova and oyster eggs. I've just started some live brine shrimp. I also use various coral foods and mix them: coral frenzy, reef roids and reef chili. Sometimes I just use one or a mixture. Started a phyto plankton batch and starting copepods next. Looking to find some live black worms. Selcon and garlic when needed. Will soak dried mysis in selcon. Looking into doing my own food down the road.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I to am interested in special requirements to keep black worms alive. And where can one buy local? I would love to try them out.

Corey

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back