Poll: What Do You Feed the Fish?

What Do You Feed Your Fish - Multiple Answers Allowed

• Flakes

Votes: 258 35.2%
  • Pellets

Votes: 476 65.0%
  • Packaged Frozen Foods

Votes: 617 84.3%
  • Homemade Recipe (Feel Free to Share in Thread)

Votes: 66 9.0%
  • Live Worms

Votes: 33 4.5%
  • All of the Above

Votes: 27 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 52 7.1%
  • I Don't Have Fish!

Votes: 4 0.5%

• Total voters

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed five times a day. The apex autofeeder feeds a mixture of PE Mysis Pellet and Calan-eeze in small quantities three times a day and I feed frozen (LRS Fish, Reef, Fertility Frenzy, Nutramar Ova, Masstick, and Clams) twice a day.

Oh, and I feed nori for my foxface, goby, and wrasses.
What size Pe mysis pellets do you use? You like these better than the apex pellets?

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main stay is homemade and I supplement it with little mysis, Oyster Feast, vitamin C mostly. The system does really well and for about $40 I have had food for two years. I seal the food with a sealer and keep it in a deep freezer. Make sure to read the package if using frozen to see if phosphate are used in the processing and scallops are the one to mostly watch. It is always best to use fresh but frozen can also be used if slacked correctly. One can pretty much go to the local Grocery and pick up the product that are needed. One can also order product in small amount if need for the grocery.

Equipment needed: I prefer a grinder, one can use a grinder attachment for the mixer I like mine chunkier. A food processor second works too, but be careful not to puree the food. Pulse the food when use the food processor.
Reef food recipe.png

I've "slacked" food for my entire adult life, but never knew that there was a term for it. Thanks for teaching me something I never knew I wanted to know.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use "whole " oyster,clam & glass minnows (same as silversides). frozen then" finely" chopped . I add ocean plankton & Rod's fish only blend. I add fresh fish roe , liver ,shrimp head etc when I have it. I need to add nori but really don't have any fish that I can't satisfy with a veggie clip. Then a squirt of vita chem. How much gets absorbed I'm not too confident. I went to my local pharmacy for vitamin C just today but it had a bunch of other stuff in it so. I'll try a health food store next for a more pure form of Vit C. Anyway I make up enough for 4 or 5 days. I don't have very many fish at the moment so it's a little amount. I feed just a "little" bit 3 or 4 times a day.
Every body seems fat & happy ! Oh Ya I also add a few drops of Sriracha for taste. :rolleyes:

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With pellets later in the day as a second meal for my more active wrasses and the like, I feed my personal mix of blended clams, squid, and bay scallops in the morning. Boy do the fish love that stuff!

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my homemade food recipe:
Supply-LRS reef frenzy
-LRS Fish frenzy
-LRS Herbivore Frenzy
-Frozen squid (market)
-Frozen Scallops (market)
-Frozen white fish (market)
-PE Mysis
-PE Calanus
-A little bit of garlic and selcon

Step 1 After thawing cut the squid, scallop, and white fish into small and large chunks for the smallest fish and my triggers.

Step 2 After thawing mix mysis, LRS and calanus with the cut squid, scallop, and white fish. Put in a little bit of garlic and selcon

Step 3 Put the mixture into a shallow plastic tray. And freeze until semisolid.

Step 4 When semisolid with a knife cut indents into the food. I have mine at 1.5 by 1.5 inches. Then re freeze.

Step 5 When fully frozen take the food out of the plastic tray and with the indents you made snap the frozen food into small cubes. Store the cubes and feed 1 a day!

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you do anything special to keep the black worms alive or just refrigerate?

I to am interested in special requirements to keep black worms alive. And where can one buy local? I would love to try them out.

Corey
I use a worm keeper that I bought from https://www.aquaticfoods.com/BlackwormAccessoriesM.html. I keep a jug of fresh RODI water in the fridge and before feeding the fish I'll rinse the worms, take what I need and the rest go back in the fridge. Usually one rinse is all that is needed, but if the keeper is packed with worms the water will foul faster so two rinses are needed, once in the morning and again before feeding. The worms stay alive for months if they are rinsed daily. I'm fortunate to be able to get the worms from my lfs, but in the past I ordered through the above link.

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love that blog recipe to make five pounds of food. Must have one big tank.
Omega One flakes. Mysis/Spirilina flakes and pellets and Dried plankton in feeder twice a day
Frozen mysis, and ground up shrimp and clam twice a week

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back