Poll: What is your preferred drain method?

What is your preferred drain method?

• Durso, Stockman

• Herbie

• Bean Animal

• Hand On (External)

• PVC Pipe Only (no overflow box)

• Other

• Hofer Gurgle Buster

Results are only viewable after voting.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure this this is just a herbie

I don't believe so. My understanding is that a Herbie is a valved siphon with an emergency overflow pipe. The 1500 Glass-Holes is a small baffled overflow with two 1 1/2 drains....no valve, no emergency overflow. no siphon. The elbows have a "breather" tube just outside the bulkhead.

Overflow3554.jpg

GHbackoftank2.jpg

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe so. My understanding is that a Herbie is a valved siphon with an emergency overflow pipe. The 1500 Glass-Holes is a small baffled overflow with two 1 1/2 drains....no valve, no emergency overflow. The elbows have a "breather" tube just outside the bulkhead.

Overflow3554.jpg

GHbackoftank2.jpg
Sorry, I meant durso. Double durso to be exact. Go with what I mean, not what I say ;)

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't consider them the same. However, if you stretch the Durso concept that the baffles within the Glass-Holes overflow takes the place of the first elbow of the Durso.....and with the breather hole/tube....they are close cousins. :D

And the best reason that they aren't the same is that it doesn't require that enormous saw-tooth cover to hide behind! Glass-Holes overflow are tiny compared to a hidden durso.

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't consider them the same. However, if you stretch the Durso concept that the baffles within the Glass-Holes overflow takes the place of the first elbow of the Durso.....and with the breather hole/tube....they are close cousins. :D

And the best reason that they aren't the same is that it doesn't require that enormous saw-tooth cover to hide behind! Glass-Holes overflow are tiny compared to a hidden durso.
I would consider the drain to be the same, but the overflow is definitely different and far superior, JMO.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious which drain method our members are using. Let us know by voting in the poll.
Would it be possible to define the hobby
Terms for the various type's of drains overflows or siphons, there are a few that may not be participating due to being unfamiliar with with the old school terms, myself included.

Tim Olson

Love to Learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run a slightly modified Durso, since my tank's overflow box was very limited in size. It's worked fine so far, although, I would prefer a Bean Animal ... maybe in my next tank.

IMG_20170920_111512 - 600 wide.jpg

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new build will be with a beananimal plumbed through a Modular Marine ghost overflow. For years, I ran a u-tube overflow box with a Stockman standpipe in the external box, I never had any issues and it was nice and quiet.
I just ordered one of these on ebay i ordered the 1800gph model. CAME WITH DIAMOND DRILL BIT. Now to get enough funds for the tank lol. I too use a hangon overflow i cant recall name but rated at 900 gph.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a few pix of mine still have to get tank to put it on.
a6fcdef1411c2b2e557335c24eac96b1.jpg
65371c71b775a676a593686ec7fc6281.jpg
I just got the 1200 gph model from Modular Marine. Seriously impressed with the build quality, it's a sharp looking overflow bow that's for sure. Can't speak of it's performance quality yet. I'm drilling my tank and installing it tonight!

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilled back with herbie overflow is my favorite. Somehow I can’t get bean animal to work.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 163 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back