Poll: What is your preferred drain method?

What is your preferred drain method?

• Durso, Stockman

• Herbie

• Bean Animal

• Hand On (External)

• PVC Pipe Only (no overflow box)

• Other

• Hofer Gurgle Buster

Results are only viewable after voting.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious which drain method our members are using. Let us know by voting in the poll.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had nothing but external overflow U-tube drains on my tanks since the mid-1990's. Once they are installed and defects are eliminated in testing (had a cracked U-tube once), they are bullet proof.

BTW, mine came with a maggie muffler add-on in the rear compartment. Better without it.....totally unnecessary. :)

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to vote for a internal overflow but.........
why can't they just call it what it is.......

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked other because I have a 1500 gph Glass-Holes overflow. Not sure if it's my "preferred" overflow, but it's the only one I really know. The only thing I didn't want when I built this tank 10 years ago were those behemoth (typically) corner overflows that take up way too much room.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Internal overflows makes the perfect Bio-media Chamber-no pump or additional nutrients required , If size is a problem well ?????????

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new build will be with a beananimal plumbed through a Modular Marine ghost overflow. For years, I ran a u-tube overflow box with a Stockman standpipe in the external box, I never had any issues and it was nice and quiet.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Currently Bean Animal but I am not opposed to other methods!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha ha, the drain method I am using is not my preferred method. I have an old HOB overflow that has a max capacity of 400 gph with only a single standpipe. Since my old 9.5 Magdrive return pump could not be throttled back without damaging the pump, and even with 10 feet of head pressure the drain was running under a syphon. In our livingroom that was not acceptable so I made a diy hoffergurgle buster. That worked pretty well but I added a reverse durso in the drain compartment to quiet the system even more. I am happy with it but its always a concern when there are no emergency drains. I have had this set up since 2004 and have never had a clog or a flood.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually ordered my tank from DSA (no longer in business) because their standard overflow for this model has 3 drain holes and 2 return holes, making plumbing a Bean Animal easy. If your set up allows I like the added safety/redundancy over a Herbie but both are dead silent and easy to adjust properly. That said, in 5 years my emergency line has never come in to play....fingers crossed.

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I picked Durso, because that is what I currently have to run (I have an installed center overflow, and it is all that fits) but if I was building a system from the ground up, I would run a Bean Animal.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should have added Glass-holes overflow to the poll

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually ordered my tank from DSA (no longer in business) because their standard overflow for this model has 3 drain holes and 2 return holes, making plumbing a Bean Animal easy. If your set up allows I like the added safety/redundancy over a Herbie but both are dead silent and easy to adjust properly. That said, in 5 years my emergency line has never come in to play....fingers crossed.

I went with DSA for the exact same reason. Likewise, my emergency drain has not been employed in nearly 5 years *knocks on wood*.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can use it, a bean animal is hands down the most trouble free and safest system. Not everyone can run 3 overflow drains, though, and for small systems, it's really overkill.

I have a Marineland 120 that was a 'reef ready' corner flow. I tried the Herbie, but it never really stayed adjusted and required constant tinkering. I plugged the bottom holes, cut out the overflow and put in a coast to coast with 3 holes for a bean. The bean is far better, IME.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the synergy overflows on both my tanks. I like them !

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the story I heard about the origin of the Bean Animal name true? The originator (William Burnett) was wearing a t-shirt that said Be An Animal and someone misread it and called him Bean Animal.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the story I heard about the origin of the Bean Animal name true? The originator (William Burnett) was wearing a t-shirt that said Be An Animal and someone misread it and called him Bean Animal.
http://www.beananimal.com/

I should ask - do you mean overflow or overflow plumbing system? They are technically distinct.

Last edited:

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked other because I have a 1500 gph Glass-Holes overflow. Not sure if it's my "preferred" overflow, but it's the only one I really know. The only thing I didn't want when I built this tank 10 years ago were those behemoth (typically) corner overflows that take up way too much room.
Pretty sure this this is just a herbie

Back