Polyfill makes skimmer hyperactive

N2950H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having floating debris issues in my water column so I put some polyfill into each of my filter socks. I'm not sure if it will do any good, but I guess worst case it keeps me from having to clean the socks as often.

My question is why did this have such a dramatic effect on my skimmer? Within a few minutes my skimmer cup was overflowing like crazy no matter how much I tried to adjust it. It took several hours to calm down to the point where I could walk away from it. The polyfill didn't make the water level rise very much at all, so I'm just wondering what the connection is there?

GThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you rinse before use? And was it aquarium poly or pillow stuffing. Some of the pillow stuffing has additives that could be a problem

OP
OP
N2950H

N2950H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you rinse before use? And was it aquarium poly or pillow stuffing. Some of the pillow stuffing has additives that could be a problem

You know, I did not rinse it though looking back I'm kicking myself for not doing that. It's a large package of stuffing I found at a craft store but I did make sure the packaging said 100% polyester fill and there were no additives listed.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure certain products have different manufacturing process so there could be some residue or additives. I use the Loop and Thread brand from Michael's craft store for years with no issues. I use it on multiple tanks and none of my skimmers act up when I swap it out. No rinsing needed for the brand I use.

OP
OP
N2950H

N2950H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Michael's is where I got this stuff as well, but I forget what brand. I plan to change out the polyfill today so I'll rinse it this time and see if that makes a difference.

Back