OP
OP
Christa50

Christa50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change my poly filter, inTank dual density, when water starts backing up in them... which is usually every 2-3 days. It has a lot to due with how much and what you are feeding.
Thank you. That's what I find as wel.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That was what I was thinking. There were comments about micron zises. As far as I am aware there is only one zise polyfilter. Not even close to microns

I believe the micron size is the filter pads he was using before the polyfilters.

Also the comments was to other in this thread not necessarily you.
Your do look like yours are picking up detritus for sure.
In my opinion they should not be exhausted din a few days.

The manufacturer has some good info here:

Also colors mean:

ColorPollutants Being Removed
BlueCopper
RedIron
GreenFree Copper ions
BrownNormal organic load
BlackHeavy organic load

Poly-Filter turns color when removing medications. Aqua to Dark Blue: Copper or Copper Salts. Orange: Iron. Bright Red: Aluminum. Bright Yellow: Ammonia, Amines or Solvents. Dyes: Color of the solution when added i.e. Methylene Blue: Pale Blue. Malachite Green: Light Green. Tannins/Humic acid: Dark Brown. Organic Wastes: Light Tan progressing to Dark Brown.

I agree with Ca1ore.
I have one in my systems at all times as a preventive measure and a way to tell what my be going on.
Easier to use than carbon and less messy.
They saved me once from a pumps the whole block was rusting. They alerted me to the rust when they turned golden brown.

OP
OP
Christa50

Christa50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the micron size is the filter pads he was using before the polyfilters.

Also the comments was to other in this thread not necessarily you.
Your do look like yours are picking up detritus for sure.
In my opinion they should not be exhausted din a few days.

The manufacturer has some good info here:

Also colors mean:

ColorPollutants Being Removed
BlueCopper
RedIron
GreenFree Copper ions
BrownNormal organic load
BlackHeavy organic load

Poly-Filter turns color when removing medications. Aqua to Dark Blue: Copper or Copper Salts. Orange: Iron. Bright Red: Aluminum. Bright Yellow: Ammonia, Amines or Solvents. Dyes: Color of the solution when added i.e. Methylene Blue: Pale Blue. Malachite Green: Light Green. Tannins/Humic acid: Dark Brown. Organic Wastes: Light Tan progressing to Dark Brown.

I agree with Ca1ore.
I have one in my systems at all times as a preventive measure and a way to tell what my be going on.
Easier to use than carbon and less messy.
They saved me once from a pumps the whole block was rusting. They alerted me to the rust when they turned golden brown.
Thanks for the manufacturers link. Useful Information. Here in the Netherlands polyfilter isn't well known. I use some in my fresh water tank also and it does a great job there too
It turns a dark orange brown because of the tannins and acids in fresh water. As mentioned maybe it would be better if I placed the polyfilter in a hob filter. I've also heard that you can just hang a piece on a high flow area. Not necessarily in a filter

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhhh those types. I don’t use those at all.
I was going along the lines of small tanks don’t really need a skimmer because you can manage nutrients with water changes, the goal of my poly filter (polyester filter pads) are to remove solids before they turn into nutrients. Filter pads only take out solids before they’re converted to nitrates.
I’ve never used anything that “manages” a certain compound because I’ve never needed to.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back