Polyfilter released a bunch of fine particles into tank!

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just cleaned out my canister and washed up my poly filter because it was dirty. Plopped it back in the tank, turned on my canister and then it released a bunch of fine particles into the tank! Of course, all the fish started to run around crazy thinking it was for food so I turned off the light to send everyone to sleep mode to prevent them for eating. Should my skimmer and canister take care of these poly fiber particles? Should I siphon this stuff when it falls on the ground?!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just cleaned out my canister and washed up my poly filter because it was dirty. Plopped it back in the tank, turned on my canister and then it released a bunch of fine particles into the tank! Of course, all the fish started to run around crazy thinking it was for food so I turned off the light to send everyone to sleep mode to prevent them for eating. Should my skimmer and canister take care of these poly fiber particles? Should I siphon this stuff when it falls on the ground?!

If it's fibers from the pad and it's that bad, maybe it's time to replace the pad. If you have a fish net, try catching some. The fish will most likely not eat them.

OP
OP
MetaKnight101

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's fibers from the pad and it's that bad, maybe it's time to replace the pad. If you have a fish net, try catching some. The fish will most likely not eat them.
The filter is only a couple weeks old, I thought they lasted much longer.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it wasn't just micro bubbles blowing everywhere? I have found it's best to just replace poly filters instead of cleaning them. There are less expensive options than buying the ones made for your filter, when I used a canister I just bought large rolls of pond filter material from Amazon and used my original filter as a template to cut my own

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry too much about them eating it. Once they sample and see it isn't food, they will most likely spit it out.

OP
OP
MetaKnight101

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it wasn't just micro bubbles blowing everywhere? I have found it's best to just replace poly filters instead of cleaning them. There are less expensive options than buying the ones made for your filter, when I used a canister I just bought large rolls of pond filter material from Amazon and used my original filter as a template to cut my own
99.9% sure it wasn't micro bubbles

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Poly-Bio filter pads in my JBJ 28g and NEVER rinsed them as they are a one time usage type pad. When they got brown, (organics absorbed), I tossed it and put a new one.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
This is what I bought, then I could change it every time instead of rinsing https://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Flo-Aquarium-Filter-Media-Thick/dp/B01EYGAFVY

You bought this and rinsed it ? If so, that is not poly filter . That is just filter floss. You should def toss it . I replace my filter floss twice weekly.

Poly filter is this here. This can be re used but I wouldn’t myself . One time use and toss . It removes toxins in the water column

D09D0F2A-1257-4023-A1F8-D9CEE5608606.png

image.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Lots of pores and what you see is suspended matter . Do not rinse poly filter. It changes color to indicate useful life and not meant to be reused. It will look dirty as it removes compounds but not clog.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You bought this and rinsed it ? If so, that is not poly filter . That is just filter floss. You should def toss it . I replace my filter floss twice weekly.

Poly filter is this here. This can be re used but I wouldn’t myself . One time use and toss . It removes toxins in the water column

D09D0F2A-1257-4023-A1F8-D9CEE5608606.png

image.jpg
I didn't mean I rinsed the dirty filter, I do change it twice a week and just throw it away. I do, however, rinse the new material before I put it in

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Should last a month or longer

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back