Polypropylene Plastic Reef Safe?

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy brute trash cans that are food grade..always use for food grade then it is safe.thry have them @ LOWE'S or Home depot

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure polypropylene is what our RO tubing is made out of. So yes, it would be reef safe.

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure polypropylene is what our RO tubing is made out of. So yes, it would be reef safe.
Should only use food grade storage. r/o tubing has cold water running through it. Its not sitting with warm salt water. When storing salt water your heating the water which the heat can leach chemicals out through the plastic, not to mention the chemistry of salt..I wouldn't use it for my tank unless it says food safe

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should only use food grade storage. r/o tubing has cold water running through it. Its not sitting with warm salt water. When storing salt water your heating the water which the heat can leach chemicals out through the plastic, not to mention the chemistry of salt..I wouldn't use it for my tank unless it says food safe
Hmm. Can you site your source? I know I didn’t but just a quick google search says that polypropylene is food safe.

I never heated my stored saltwater, but even if I did, we’re only talking about heating it 10-20 degrees from what is coming out of the RO. I wouldn’t suspect that a small increase in temperature would cause any difference. Lastly, there shouldn’t be any chemical interaction with the saltwater either.

Here’s an excerpt from this website, https://www.custom-pak.com/what-plastics-are-approved-for-food-contact-applications/

Polypropylene (PP)​

Polypropylene is a widely used plastic. You likely have polypropylene plastic in your fridge and cupboards right now: it’s regularly used in reusable food storage containers. It’s also the resin used to make yogurt containers and other single-serving tubs.

PP plastics are approved for food contact. They are inert materials and do not present a health hazard to the consumers. The FDA began to approve recycled polypropylene as food-safe in 2013.

Polypropylene’s high melting point makes it suitable for microwaveable food containers. It’s nonvolatile and doesn’t react to liquids, acids, or bases, so it’s perfect to store a wide variety of foods.

OP
OP
ItalCanadaReefer

ItalCanadaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Can you site your source? I know I didn’t but just a quick google search says that polypropylene is food safe.

I never heated my stored saltwater, but even if I did, we’re only talking about heating it 10-20 degrees from what is coming out of the RO. I wouldn’t suspect that a small increase in temperature would cause any difference. Lastly, there shouldn’t be any chemical interaction with the saltwater either.

Here’s an excerpt from this website, https://www.custom-pak.com/what-plastics-are-approved-for-food-contact-applications/

Polypropylene (PP)​

Polypropylene is a widely used plastic. You likely have polypropylene plastic in your fridge and cupboards right now: it’s regularly used in reusable food storage containers. It’s also the resin used to make yogurt containers and other single-serving tubs.

PP plastics are approved for food contact. They are inert materials and do not present a health hazard to the consumers. The FDA began to approve recycled polypropylene as food-safe in 2013.

Polypropylene’s high melting point makes it suitable for microwaveable food containers. It’s nonvolatile and doesn’t react to liquids, acids, or bases, so it’s perfect to store a wide variety of foods.
Thanks a lot!! Much appreciated

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back