Pom pom crab eating bristle worm

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some pom pom crabs recently and just a while ago I found one eating a bristle worm. I had no idea that they do.
I googled and it seems to be a common thing. The worms are in trouble now.
IMG_20230414_023909.jpg

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious OP, not to derail, but what size is your tank and how often do you see your little guy? I've been dying to add some to my rock-heavy 65 gal but I'm concerned I'll spend a bunch on several of them but never see them again, lol

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious OP, not to derail, but what size is your tank and how often do you see your little guy? I've been dying to add some to my rock-heavy 65 gal but I'm concerned I'll spend a bunch on several of them but never see them again, lol
It's about 100L or 29gallon-ish. They try pretty hard not to be seen by me. My tank is small and bare bottom so I can find one or two if I searched really hard for a while. I often find them hiding in the holes of the rocks (often just bits of their legs). They don't normally come out in the open like in the picture posted.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if people think that a pom pom would be safe with a Christmas Tree Worm rock @ISpeakForTheSeas after seeing this. I have had a pom pom in my tank for over a year and have been trying to get a bysma worm (Christmas tree) rock.
I'm actually curious about this now myself - I can't find much info on how pom poms interact with feather dusters of any variety. The only interaction I can actually find is mildly negative:

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my goodness...
Today I found my peppermint shrimp chewing on a pompom crab leg so I was like 'No you didn't!!' but later realize it wasn't the peppermint but one of the bigger pompom was actually eating another pompom!! They weren't mating. The smaller one was being eaten and the peppermint just happen to score a leg that's been dropped. Sorry for doubting you peppermint.
It's not like my tank is crowded and there are plenty of places to hide so I don't really understand.
Now I don't know if the pompom was actively hunted or it was dying/dead and just being cleaned up but it was quite a shock for me to see (the money going down the drain just like that).
It was hard to take pictures so the image/video quality is terrible. This is the best I could manage.
Anyways, the peppermint didn't harm anything ever but still, I think I'll let it go cuz it's just bigger than everyone else.
IMG_20230417_175841.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back