Pond and Waterfall Foam... Which Specific Resin to Coat It With?

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

Going to do my first attempt at a Foam Rock Wall on my new setup.

Question is: which specific epoxy/resin has proven to work with this stuff best for the long run?

It's going to be for a fairly big tank (62"L x 25"H) so I would need a proven resin to coat it with that's not only sold in tiny packages.

I've seen tutorials which say to just use a 2 part epoxy or resin but don;t mention specific ones. Which one works the best and lasts the longest?

Thanks!

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used west system 105 with 205 hardner. It takes a long time for coraline to grab it though. Just an fyi.

I did this about 1 year ago, replacing another. It covers my overflow
20170909_195358.jpg

OP
OP
Charles4400

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Aquascape! No way I could tell the arch and overflow column were foam by the pic. Looks incredible!

Thanks for the tip on the epoxy I will get some of that.

You mentioned you replaced another with this one, why did you end up replacing the first foam wall, was it deteriorating?

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I never coated the first with epoxy. And I wanted to change stuff. Mostly add the big arch.
The 1st lasted several years and was not coated. It was also regular great stuff insulation foam. I personally no longer worry about deterioration after my experience.

Do not underestimate how buoyant the foam is. Mine is anchored with several lbs rock and has nylon thumb screws at the top to hold it.

The arch and overflow cover are 3 parts. The overflow cover the arch and the arch base. The arch is a piece of 1 inch pvc heated and bent. The ends fit into couplings that are embedded in the foam on the wall and base. I used a small amount of 2 part putty (jb waterweld) to really hold it and cover any gaps between the 2 pieces.
Hope this helps

20151105_175356_zpsilx4xw09.jpg.html

20151108_215545_zpspk6uszpj.jpg.html

Salahunreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice. Just thinking to do mine as well to cover the overflow. Thought though to use pixel glass and do the foam over the pixel glass then put the pixel glass to cover my overflow. Just in case for further and wanted to remove it, would be easier if want to redesign.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 30.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back