Pond/Water Feature Advice Needed

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I get some advice from some pond experts?

We'd like to build a very small pond/water feature. Like a 10' diameter circle in which rocks will be piled high on one side and water will flow down the rocks into a small 1' deep "pond."

So, I have a guy who will build it. He told me to price out A) pump B) liner C) filter D) rocks E) plumbing parts.

My question is what do you recommend for a filter? The guy at the water pond store suggested some kind of pressurized filter that includes an inline UV sterilizer, which is not what I had in mind. You can't even take apart the filter to clean it. (for about $500).

What's a simple filter solution? Do I really need a UV unit?

Thanks

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Could I get some advice from some pond experts?

We'd like to build a very small pond/water feature. Like a 10' diameter circle in which rocks will be piled high on one side and water will flow down the rocks into a small 1' deep "pond."

So, I have a guy who will build it. He told me to price out A) pump B) liner C) filter D) rocks E) plumbing parts.

My question is what do you recommend for a filter? The guy at the water pond store suggested some kind of pressurized filter that includes an inline UV sterilizer, which is not what I had in mind. You can't even take apart the filter to clean it. (for about $500).

What's a simple filter solution? Do I really need a UV unit?

Thanks

In addition to the benefits to fish health, the UV is often used for water clarity to avoid green water. Daphnia can be an effective natural solution to green water.

There are many ways to set up a pond filter and this is the approach that I have used and recommended for an initial, low cost solution.

A simple set up could include a Danner magnetic pond pump (or comparable) with a sponge pre-filter and hosing from your local home store to connect to the actual filter. For an above water filter any fish-safe container (this could be as basic as a 5 gallon bucket or something highly decorative) could be used. The container can have a raised egg crate bottom that is supported 2-3” off the bottom of the container with multiple pieces of PVC (I ziptie each piece of PVC to the egg crate). Then mostly fill the container with porous material like lava rock and cover with blue filter bad cut to size (lava rock and filter material both can also be found at a local home store). You can connect the return to a spray bar at the top of the filter or use a fountain kit, however I don’t usually recommend fountains because of extra water loss. You can use a bulkhead fitting (and spout if appropriate) that would be on the side of the container between the bottom of the container and suspended egg crate bottom for an outflow return into the pond. Depending on the container and what you have on hand, this solution should cost approximately $100. Whatever way you go, good luck and please share pictures!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is my old pond and sounds close to what you are talking about:

upload_2019-5-17_11-38-37.png

You can see our small water fall.
I used no filter and went natural. The only filter I had was in the waterfall weir. In the weir I could put a mechanical media or a media for bacteria to grow on. I would sometimes put barley in it..

I had 8 fish in there around 6+ inches and lots of minnows. I had so may minnows at one point I had to add a air pump and stone because they spawned so many babies at once.

No matter what the bottom needs to be cleaned out anyway and filters just get to clogged to fast. I am planning a new pond and I am debating adding a filter again myself.
I just did not need one, plants removed so much. Those Irises on the right were growing bare root and ended up with so many I split them and removing tons.

I used no UV because the plants shaded the water enough and removed enough nutrients. My maintenance was pulling water lettuce out and scooping leaves out.

Every spring I add bacteria. In the winter I had a floating heater that kept a small hole in the ice.

Seriously my biggest issue was raccoons. They kept destroying the pond by nocking my plants in all the time. They never caught a fish but always jumping on my plants and digging them up.

I have a friend who builds and maintains ponds. He also restore old lakes and keeps them up and running.

Last edited:

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a tip for a liner.

Go to a roofing supply house (not a hardware store!) and get EPDM roofing.

I have used it in my 1000gallon pond for years and used it in a 330 before that.

It is way stronger than pond liner and less than half the cost.

gmneil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check out the aquascape pond people and their videos on youtube they have a line of stuff and do it yourself kits they deal with ponds specifically and seem to make great ponds I have used some of their products with great results

OP
OP
Seawitch

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my old pond and sounds close to what you are talking about:

upload_2019-5-17_11-38-37.png

You can see our small water fall.
I used no filter and went natural. The only filter I had was in the waterfall weir. In the weir I could put a mechanical media or a media for bacteria to grow on. I would sometimes put barley in it..

I had 8 fish in there around 6+ inches and lots of minnows. I had so may minnows at one point I had to add a air pump and stone because they spawned so many babies at once.

No matter what the bottom needs to be cleaned out anyway and filters just get to clogged to fast. I am planning a new pond and I am debating adding a filter again myself.
I just did not need one. Plant removed so much. Those Irises on the right were growing bare root and ended up with so many I split them and removing tons.

I used no UV because the plants shaded the water enough and removed enough nutrients. My maintenance was pulling water lettuce out and scooping leaves out.

Every spring I add bacteria. In the winter I had a floating heater that kept a small hole in the ice.

Seriously my biggest issue was raccoons. They kept destroying the pond by nocking my plants in all the time. Never caught a fish but always jumping on my plants and digging them up.

I have a friend who builds and maintains ponds. He also restore old lakes and keeps them up and running.
Yes that’s very similar to what I have in mind.

OP
OP
Seawitch

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a tip for a liner.

Go to a roofing supply house (not a hardware store!) and get EPDM roofing.

I have used it in my 1000gallon pond for years and used it in a 330 before that.

It is way stronger than pond liner and less than half the cost.

You, my friend, just saved me $300. Guy at water store quoted me $450 for just the liner. I just found a 45ml EPDM liner for $100 online from a place I've bought aquatic stuff from before!

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You, my friend, just saved me $300. Guy at water store quoted me $450 for just the liner. I just found a 45ml EPDM liner for $100 online from a place I've bought aquatic stuff from before!

My consultation fee happens to be $250 so you still saved $50!!!

;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subscribing because I’m building my first
Pond and looking to learn.

I bought this. Mechanical filter, UV, fountain, auxiliary pump for water feature and led light in one unit. Hopefully it will do the trick or at least get me by for the first year or so while I learn what I’m doing.

Aquagarden Pennington, Inpond 5 in 1, Pond Pump, Filter, Uv Clarifier, LED Light & Fountain, All in One Solution for A Clear & Beautiful Pond, Suitable for Pondsup to 600 Gallon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CPX5JSM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_XxX3Cb04H7E3Y

OP
OP
Seawitch

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you weren't in Canada I would send you some horsetail rush and pickerell rush as well. prolific growers. The pickerell has beautiful blooms and filters the water very well.
So I can grow upright plants in the water without any substrate?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Recently I had a major wake up call in my own tank. Somehow my tank had a small ick break out affecting two fish. Now I haven’t added new fish except a goby almost 9
Months ago the rest have been in for 18 months no issues. I run two uv steralizers and there is some info about these that I don’t even know.

First off most of the pond and or ones we use in our tank are uvc style they simple clarify and they will kill some bacteria and some viruses and parasites free swimming in the water. Now with that said, uvc will keep your water clear but may take it 24 hours. A uv level 2 maybe four hours and a uv 1 maybe 2 hours. The uv one also kills all bacteria, and all viruses and parasites in the water.

The time in the steralizer is huge and best run separately and right before it goes into the return lines. My best advice would be get a good level one or 2 use a dc pump to control the flow exactly and also add the ozone device. Mine that I just ordered was about 800.

But it goes to show uvc will slow down bacteria and viruses and parasites. But it’s not a catch all 100% same as the other two. However they definitely will kill more bugs etc and if you have fish will benefit them

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back