Pool saltwater system

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience with these vs chlorine. Thoughts? Which did you like better?

weamdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to have a saltwater pool stocked full of goodies, but actual saltwater pools are only about 1.018ish salinity (or at least that's what hot tubs are). I just converted my hot tub last week running dead sea salts (used about 6-7lbs of salt). It does make your skin softer, I suffer from really dry skin. Have only gotten in twice, definitely have to shower off afterwards. Was lucky to find a chlorinator for cheap on ebay, whole change over costed about $80 so I'm happy. The tub had been sitting for a couple year not getting used, now it has gotten a second chance. Was even thinking about converting it into a reef at one point.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a salt water pool for years, fantastic. Great for your skin and hair, especially if you let the dog In the pool. Also much easier to maintain a stable chemistry in the pool.

Basically worth every dollar to convert.

one piece of advice: When you covert someone may say 'You need X bags of salt for your pool'. Buy them but don't add them all at once. Add half then 1 at a time until you hit the desired number. Had a friend whose pool guy did that and they had to drain 16" of water to get the salinity back down.

OP
OP
Reef-junky

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ll give the salt system a go and see what happens. It’s the deck extension that will be the most time consuming and expensive.

stonecoldant316

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience with these vs chlorine. Thoughts? Which did you like better?

Saltwater Pool systems are chlorinated. They use a chlorine generator (through electrolysis) to produce Chlorine. The advantage that they have is that its continuous and small amounts. Maintenance is drastically reduced. PH needs to be kept in line (usually w/Muriatic Acid) but yeah sanitizer levels are constant.

I've had a saltwater pool and currently have a saltwater hot tub.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt is the way to go. Super easy to maintain. The initial expense of the chlorine generator turns some people off but it’s totally worth it. Easy to convert too if you can do some basic wiring and pvc work. Most pool shops charge an obscene amount. A quality diy job shouldn’t run much more than a grand, give or take depending on your pool size.

OP
OP
Reef-junky

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you have to add salt or is it more of a once a year deal?

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We’ve had a salt pool for 4 years and love it. The most expensive item is the salt cell but they last years with minimal maintenance. We rarely add salt, just fresh water to account for evaporation.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only need to add salt if you lose water, mainly from draining it out. I do maybe 2-3 bags a year.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only need to add salt it when you lose water due to splash out or when you change the water out.
This is totally untrue. The salt cell breaks the salt down to generate chlorine. It is consumed in normal operation. I have to add about a bag a month. In the winter the salt cell doesn’t work (below 50) so I use chlorine tabs in the baskets.

When people hear saltwater pool they think ocean or aquarium, but the salt level is much much lower. Closer to saline than ocean water, so much easier on your skin. I use about the same amount of salt for my 18,000 gallon pool that I use for my 150 gallon fish tank

Last edited:

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only need to add salt if you lose water, mainly from draining it out. I do maybe 2-3 bags a year.
Then your salt cell chlorine generator isn’t working. Salt (Nacl) is broken down to form chlorine (cl). If your salt cell is working properly, salt is consumed. I need about a bag of salt per month to maintain proper chlorine levels.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of depends on the usage of the pool. I would add a bag about every month.
Me too. More if being used heavily. I don’t see how all of these people are saying they never add salt unless their chlorine generator isn’t working since salt is broken down to chlorine and chlorine evaporates...

stonecoldant316

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is totally untrue. The salt cell breaks the salt down to generate chlorine. It is consumed in normal operation. I have to add about a bag a month. In the winter the salt cell doesn’t work (below 50) so I use chlorine tabs in the baskets.

When people hear saltwater pool they think ocean or aquarium, but the salt level is much much lower. Closer to saline than ocean water, so much easier on your skin. I use about the same amount of salt for my 18,000 gallon pool that I use for my 150 gallon fish tank

Chlorine is consumed for sure, however in order to maintain proper pH you need to replace it with HCl.
Me too. More if being used heavily. I don’t see how all of these people are saying they never add salt unless their chlorine generator isn’t working since salt is broken down to chlorine and chlorine evaporates...

Chlorine is definitely consumed, I replace the Cl by means of adding HCl. Read this wiki for a better understanding.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chlorine is consumed for sure, however in order to maintain proper pH you need to replace it with HCl.

Chlorine is definitely consumed, I replace the Cl by means of adding HCl. Read this wiki for a better understanding.
I understand how it works. You add salt, salt is broken down into other elements, one of them being chlorine. While you can do things to minimize chlorine evaporation, it evpaporates and must be replaced. Yes, salt is reformed in the process, but at a lesser rate than you added.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never have anything but a saltwater pool. My expenses for consumables to maintain a 27k gallon inground pool only run around $200/yr. This is for salt, stabilizer and about a gallon of muriatic acid per month.

Maintenance takes me maybe 15 minutes per week, just to test levels and empty filter baskets.

For the best and least expensive pool maintenance method using off the shelf products, check out www.troublefreepool.com. This is the method I use. It applies to both salt and conventional pools.

IMG_20200525_123330514_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back