Poor Man's Nutrients Control - Donovan's Nitrate Destroyer

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do I was getting my interest peaked on this and the least we can do is keep the thread going. There was a few things I see to this type of build. He stated to only have about a 10% tank turnover per day. At first I didnt see how that would help but after some thought if you get 0 nitrates out of the effluent thats basically a 10% water change every day which is golden (minus the replacement of trace elements but we can add them ourselves). So I am sure results will vary tank to tank but he was on to something with t his thread.

Khaotic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a pretty effective way of removing excess nutrients, it is the primary method i have been utilizing since i set up my tank. For a good while it was the only method on my 300+ gallon system. I will be sticking around to answer any questions people might have.

Gino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As many had said. This tread need to be keep alive in honor of our friend, who has a vision and idea. And he share with all of us.
I got my Donovan Reactor ready under my Tank waiting for the right time to use it. So far I haven't needed, but I know it works and it's going to be wet soon. In any help I can offer, feel free to ask.

x2uranium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rip dude.
Inspired me to make this a few months ago. Works like a charm I couldn't find the ceramic discs so I just filled entire two chambers with matrix

IMG_0769.JPG

Heavysledz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past few days I read thru this entire thread and can't believe it is true that we have lost such a great member of the reefing community. In his honor we owe it to him to keep sharing his passion and willingness to share his wealth of knowledge with others. Hopefully, experienced reefers such as Donovan will continue to keep this thread alive and provide instruction to those searching for wisdom.....

May he rest in peace!

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will be putting my monster one together to handle 800 gallon system. thinking 4 inch pipe at about 3 feet.. i can daisy chain two or three of these.. i have a large sump so room is no issue...
do we have a list of the best media to use.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@caseyreef. the product you listed from amazon...

what is this product actually made of.. ? is it similar to marine pure bio? I would like to avoid any further issues with possible aluminium leaching.. thanks

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Donovon liked the large ceramic rings didn’t matter what manufacturer except had to be porous.
Anything that’s porous and won’t clog easy after all the slime builds up will work.

x2uranium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my flowing a decent amount of flow through the matrix media. I can't get nitrates to register at all and I feed a TON. Phosphate on the other hand is a different animal.

gregkn73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone here see a reduction in phosphate also? Or only nitrates
I have seen a reduction at cleaning glass frequency, but not at po4 measurable values, when for any reason the bacteria population in Don's reactor is increasing. When it is stabilized, I start cleaning glass again more often! I tried adding nano3 into diy nopox solution I dosed in the reactor, but haven't measured any change at po4 levels. So I'm now considering to alter number of nopox dosing frequency, to manipulate bacteria population at my desire, but I hesitate to do it because I don't know how my reef will react at fluctuating no3 levels.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back