Poor man nutrients control - Donovan's Nitrate Destroyer

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (DIY)' started by Donovan Joannes, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Khaotic

Khaotic Member

Interesting thought. being as it is constantly going in it shouldnt cause an issue. I keep a mixed reef just fine. If i think about it ill get out the ph probe sometime and test it.

Joseph Wright likes this.

2. gregkn73

gregkn73 Active Member

Without having the ability to measure very small changes of pH , I am pretty sure no, in a matter of affecting the health of corals and fishes in DT.

3. Ponraj A

Ponraj A Active Member

not
    experienced like that so far, but high dosing of vinegar may affect, if so you can change to sugar and Vodka, i feel

4. Ponraj A

Ponraj A Active Member

Also no for me, I am using ROWA for phosphate. I have tried once by removing Rowa, withonly nitrate reactor, but my phosphate start to climb 0.18 from o.o4 in two weeks time. I am also dosing 5ml of MB7 to the reactor once a week along with VSV dosing. I hope after some time it may start consuming phosphate once nitrates are finished

5. chicago

chicago Well-Known Member

so.. it seems that this reactor is really more geared to reducing nitrates.. not really something to reduce phosphate. For years my reef tank with all the rock had no issues with nitrate .. it was always an issue of removing phosphate. I was hoping to hear that this reduces phosphate also in the process of removing the nitrate. . perhaps my memory is off.. but wasnt there discussions and threads on some bacteria that use the phosphate or nitrate as a food source to reduce the phosphate.. ok that sounded off but i do remember something like that... ? or just wishful thinking.... ? Oh well. Sounds like a great nitrate reducer..

6. crs751

crs751 Well-Known Member

I’m getting a strong sulfur smell from my reactor. What are your thoughts on a cause. I reduced the vodka feed to 5ml/day and reduced flow. Any help would be appreciated.

7. Khaotic

Khaotic Member

Increase flow if you are getting a smell.

Ponraj A likes this.
  8. crs751

crs751 Well-Known Member

Ok I’ll do that. I had a “hazmat” spill when I took off the cap on the first chamber so that could have contributed to it.

9. Khaotic

Khaotic Member

Its possible, i believe the reason behind the smell is that there is a lack of oxygen in the water, which is good for the nitrate removal but a lack of ocygen for too long makes that smell so you are aiming for the sweet spot.

Edit i searched, its likely making hydrogen sulfide and thats what you smell

10. crs751

crs751 Well-Known Member

So do I still increase flow and reduce the vodka feed rate?

11. Khaotic

Khaotic Member

Thats how i would go about it. My reactor has been doing great without vodka for awhile so im not sure.

12. ryewalk84

ryewalk84 Member

Increase flow but let output line drain into a bucket until there is no more sulfur. Keep the sulfur water out of the tank to be on he safe side.

13. CNDReef

CNDReef Formally Toomanyfish R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

Nitrates reduction will also consume phosphate at a set ratio( forget what it is ) but just feeding the tank will add more phosphate than the process from the reactor can manage. Ultimately you’ll need to run some kind of phosphate binding media until one day your tank self manages itself

Ponraj A likes this.
  14. Ponraj A

Ponraj A Active Member

you have to increase the flow, but i think you can have the vodka dose as it's if your nitrate is not reduced. If it's reduced you can lower the dosage.

15. Khaotic

Khaotic Member

The only issue with continuing the same vodka dose is if your flow increase causes all the vodka not to be consumed before it exits the reactor and goes back into your tank. Could cause a cyano outbreak.

16. Ponraj A

Ponraj A Active Member

m
    May be but I have not faced such issue so far. I thought that increasing the flow and reducing vodka will increase the nitrates. Correct me if I am wrong please;););););)

17. ramona

ramona Active Member

I think Donovan was running an algae scrubber similar to PaulB as phosphate removal. Please, someone correct me if i am wrong.

18. Khaotic

Khaotic Member

It depends on the tank and setup, for me my reactor works just fine with no vodka, less than 1ppm when i last tested after stopping vodka

Ponraj A likes this.
  19. Greenstreet.1

Greenstreet.1 Valuable Member

Wasn’t the vodka basically used to seed the reactor and once seeded and producing low no3 from the reactor you should slow down or stop dosing unless your no3 starts to rise ? Or do I need to reread this thread ?

20. Khaotic

Khaotic Member

No you use the vodka to feed the bacteria, typically you will continue the carbon dosing to keep your nitrates down. Reactor and system depending you may have enough bacteria without carbon dosing to keep your nitrates down, which in my case, i have plenty. I have a 300 gallon system with 280+lbs of live rock 480+lbs of sand and 45 inches of reactor though so iv probably got more biological filtration than the average tank.

Greenstreet.1 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted