Poor Man's Nutrients Control - Donovan's Nitrate Destroyer

Khaotic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the process of building this. I sounds like it works great. I was wondering does the water depleted of O2 effect your pH when it mixes with your sump water?
Interesting thought. being as it is constantly going in it shouldnt cause an issue. I keep a mixed reef just fine. If i think about it ill get out the ph probe sometime and test it.

gregkn73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the process of building this. I sounds like it works great. I was wondering does the water depleted of O2 effect your pH when it mixes with your sump water?
Without having the ability to measure very small changes of pH , I am pretty sure no, in a matter of affecting the health of corals and fishes in DT.

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not
experienced like that so far, but high dosing of vinegar may affect, if so you can change to sugar and Vodka, i feel

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen a reduction at cleaning glass frequency, but not at po4 measurable values, when for any reason the bacteria population in Don's reactor is increasing. When it is stabilized, I start cleaning glass again more often! I tried adding nano3 into diy nopox solution I dosed in the reactor, but haven't measured any change at po4 levels. So I'm now considering to alter number of nopox dosing frequency, to manipulate bacteria population at my desire, but I hesitate to do it because I don't know how my reef will react at fluctuating no3 levels.

Also no for me, I am using ROWA for phosphate. I have tried once by removing Rowa, withonly nitrate reactor, but my phosphate start to climb 0.18 from o.o4 in two weeks time. I am also dosing 5ml of MB7 to the reactor once a week along with VSV dosing. I hope after some time it may start consuming phosphate once nitrates are finished

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so.. it seems that this reactor is really more geared to reducing nitrates.. not really something to reduce phosphate. For years my reef tank with all the rock had no issues with nitrate .. it was always an issue of removing phosphate. I was hoping to hear that this reduces phosphate also in the process of removing the nitrate. . perhaps my memory is off.. but wasnt there discussions and threads on some bacteria that use the phosphate or nitrate as a food source to reduce the phosphate.. ok that sounded off but i do remember something like that... ? or just wishful thinking.... ? Oh well. Sounds like a great nitrate reducer..

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting a strong sulfur smell from my reactor. What are your thoughts on a cause. I reduced the vodka feed to 5ml/day and reduced flow. Any help would be appreciated.

Khaotic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting a strong sulfur smell from my reactor. What are your thoughts on a cause. I reduced the vodka feed to 5ml/day and reduced flow. Any help would be appreciated.
Increase flow if you are getting a smell.

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’ll do that. I had a “hazmat” spill when I took off the cap on the first chamber so that could have contributed to it.

Khaotic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’ll do that. I had a “hazmat” spill when I took off the cap on the first chamber so that could have contributed to it.
Its possible, i believe the reason behind the smell is that there is a lack of oxygen in the water, which is good for the nitrate removal but a lack of ocygen for too long makes that smell so you are aiming for the sweet spot.

Edit i searched, its likely making hydrogen sulfide and thats what you smell

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do I still increase flow and reduce the vodka feed rate?

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates reduction will also consume phosphate at a set ratio( forget what it is ) but just feeding the tank will add more phosphate than the process from the reactor can manage. Ultimately you’ll need to run some kind of phosphate binding media until one day your tank self manages itself

Khaotic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue with continuing the same vodka dose is if your flow increase causes all the vodka not to be consumed before it exits the reactor and goes back into your tank. Could cause a cyano outbreak.

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
m
The only issue with continuing the same vodka dose is if your flow increase causes all the vodka not to be consumed before it exits the reactor and goes back into your tank. Could cause a cyano outbreak.
May be but I have not faced such issue so far. I thought that increasing the flow and reducing vodka will increase the nitrates. Correct me if I am wrong please;););););)

ramona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates reduction will also consume phosphate at a set ratio( forget what it is ) but just feeding the tank will add more phosphate than the process from the reactor can manage. Ultimately you’ll need to run some kind of phosphate binding media until one day your tank self manages itself
I think Donovan was running an algae scrubber similar to PaulB as phosphate removal. Please, someone correct me if i am wrong.

Khaotic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
m

May be but I have not faced such issue so far. I thought that increasing the flow and reducing vodka will increase the nitrates. Correct me if I am wrong please;););););)
It depends on the tank and setup, for me my reactor works just fine with no vodka, less than 1ppm when i last tested after stopping vodka

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn’t the vodka basically used to seed the reactor and once seeded and producing low no3 from the reactor you should slow down or stop dosing unless your no3 starts to rise ? Or do I need to reread this thread ?

Khaotic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn’t the vodka basically used to seed the reactor and once seeded and producing low no3 from the reactor you should slow down or stop dosing unless your no3 starts to rise ? Or do I need to reread this thread ?
No you use the vodka to feed the bacteria, typically you will continue the carbon dosing to keep your nitrates down. Reactor and system depending you may have enough bacteria without carbon dosing to keep your nitrates down, which in my case, i have plenty. I have a 300 gallon system with 280+lbs of live rock 480+lbs of sand and 45 inches of reactor though so iv probably got more biological filtration than the average tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back