Poor Man's Nutrients Control - Donovan's Nitrate Destroyer

Homer Allman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 400 gallons of water volume. I'm going to build a 5 foot twin tower that is slightly modified in construction. I'll post pictures as I build. It's around 90 bucks worth of lowes material to build this 4" PVC version. Not pictured is the twin tower 4"pipe. thanks for sharing this idea.
IMG_1492.JPG

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 400 gallons of water volume. I'm going to build a 5 foot twin tower that is slightly modified in construction. I'll post pictures as I build. It's around 90 bucks worth of lowes material to build this 4" PVC version. Not pictured is the twin tower 4"pipe. thanks for sharing this idea.
IMG_1492.JPG

Wow. That will hold the record of being the tallest nitrate destroyer inthe world!. What is your current nitrate test result, if you don't mind sharing?.

Homer Allman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. That will hold the record of being the tallest nitrate destroyer inthe world!. What is your current nitrate test result, if you don't mind sharing?.
At least 50 on the salifert. I'm shopping for media currently. It may take me a few weeks to get it going, but I like the idea. I do water change after water change and I can't budge those nitrate numbers. I test my water going in and it's zero nitrate. When I say water change. I'm talking 50's to 125 gallon. My SPS live and I am not over run with algae. but I know I can get it better. I have a bunch more pictures for later. thank you for giving me this idea.

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem @Homer Allman. I am more than happy to share it with reefers around the world. At 5' tall your media must contain huge bio ball (1.5"?) all along the length for proper flow. Your initial reactor flow is 1GPH to 2GPH for seeding, and that is quite a flow for a baby destroyer. Can't wait to see it in action and how it performs!.

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow!. That looks like a "Sauron Tower" :D.

I think you should opt for 1.5" biosphere media and large ceramic rings all the way. The reaction chamber is quite long (maybe too long for a pumice stones and coral rubble usage ;Nailbiting).

Homer Allman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow!. That looks like a "Sauron Tower" :D.

I think you should opt for 1.5" biosphere media and large ceramic rings all the way. The reaction chamber is quite long (maybe too long for a pumice stones and coral rubble usage ;Nailbiting).
If I am understanding what this thing does. The boisphere balls and large rings are going to be the housing units of bacteria that will slowly eat away the nitrates once the bacteria is established. You run the water through slowly so it gives the bacteria time to eat the nitrate. So something this big just needs balls and rings with the proper 5-10% per day flow rate. The other medias are unnecessary? What type of bacteria should I stock in the reactor once I begin operations and how much vodka a day should I start with? thank you for your time.

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am understanding what this thing does. The boisphere balls and large rings are going to be the housing units of bacteria that will slowly eat away the nitrates once the bacteria is established. You run the water through slowly so it gives the bacteria time to eat the nitrate. So something this big just needs balls and rings with the proper 5-10% per day flow rate. The other medias are unnecessary? What type of bacteria should I stock in the reactor once I begin operations and how much vodka a day should I start with? thank you for your time.

You are correct. The media is a house full of bacteria, the tower is the housing estate. You need to seed the chambers with bacteria in a bottle (MB7, MB8, prodibio bio digest or whatever product you can buy locally) for 5 days (30ml each), start carbon dosing on 2nd day, every day. For your case, maybe 10ml organic carbon is good starting dosage. Test every other day whether there is a nitrate reduction on the effluent output. Bacteria slime/snot/strings on the outlet hose is a good indicator of bacteria colonization has taken place.

The problem with pumice stones and coral rubble are clogging issue. If tightly arranged and too thick, it will be covered with thick bacteria and restrict the flow. Pay extra attention when filling the chambers with media, make sure there are always a void and holes for water to flow thru. For your tower, you can use pumice stones and coral rubbles, but use small media bags to house them and carefully arrange with a few ceramic rings by the side for proper flow.

Homer Allman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again thank you. Do you see a problem with me purchasing the MarinePure Ceramic Biomedia 2" Cubes - The 1 Cubic Foot deal is way better than the spheres. This should give the voids that you a mentioning.

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again thank you. Do you see a problem with me purchasing the MarinePure Ceramic Biomedia 2" Cubes - The 1 Cubic Foot deal is way better than the spheres. This should give the voids that you a mentioning.

I never use cubes, but at 2" you might wasting a lot of space.

Homer Allman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never use cubes, but at 2" you might wasting a lot of space.
I could break them up a bit. I think I will try them. They are the same material just shaped different. Plus it's going to provide a ton of housing and allow flow. The water will be in those chambers for quite a while at only 20-40 gallons a day. The means 50- 100 minutes for that bacteria the chomp away. It will be interesting. I will keep you posted once active.

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could break them up a bit. I think I will try them. They are the same material just shaped different. Plus it's going to provide a ton of housing and allow flow. The water will be in those chambers for quite a while at only 20-40 gallons a day. The means 50- 100 minutes for that bacteria the chomp away. It will be interesting. I will keep you posted once active.

Keep your nose fully open for rotten egg smell. More flow if you smells one :D

Gino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely this project and the ones all ready on their way, will give us a great perspectives on were to adjust and use in order to get the best out of this reactor. Homer Allman, I will love to hear your thoughts and findings along the way. Those are impressive towers!!! For shure they will help you with your fighting. Good luck!!!

Homer Allman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ordered my supplies to start this thing up. They should be here late next week. This is what I went with to start. 24 pounds of large Bio rings, 1 cubic foot of Marine pure 2 inch blocks and 12 standard vials of the Prodibio Bio Digest. I will drive it all with a Jebao 845 GPH pump hooked to a manifold with the proper 5-10% flow rate.

How much of the Prodibo should I add to the reactor on start up and how do you add it. Just dump it in and recirculate or let the flow go on start up? thanks for all the help dudes! I have approximately 400 gallons of water volume plus the 5 this will add. haha Nitrates check 50 on the salifert test. My goal is nitrates around 10-15. I do water changes all the time and it makes little to no difference. I have 250 lbs of live rock and a 2 inch black sand bed. I am not over run with algae. The rocks are algae free. We'll see what this beast does soon. ;-)

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Homer. One vial Prodibio per day should be enough. Dump in and let is circulate with lowest flow for 10minutes, then increase to initial flow to give the bacteria a chance selecting their home. Can't wait to hear Homer's results.

Gino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way that I been thinking about how to seed the reactor is to full fill them with tank water. And stop the circulation in the reactor
Then seed in the bacteria and let it sit for at least half to an hour and then start the circulation the slowest as possible for at least another hour or two. Just in my perspective to let the bacteria to settle down in their new home. And then dial the circulation to a 5 to 10% flow rate and from there start making the adjustment needed along the way.
By the way that's the way I will do it. Probably Donovan can correct me.

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will do. In fact someone was seeding the media in a bucket with tank water and a bottle of MB7. It doesn't really matter how you do it, we just want it to be seeded.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back