Poor Man's Nutrients Control - Donovan's Nitrate Destroyer

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too believe on the same. Due to space constraints I have kept the reactor in my sump near my chiller coil. Does the coolness in there will affect the bacteria population ? if so so you have any suggestions on that ?

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too believe on the same. Due to space constraints I have kept the reactor in my sump near my chiller coil. Does the coolness in there will affect the bacteria population ? if so so you have any suggestions on that ?

It might be a bit slower at lower temperature. I kept my tank at 27.5 C. As you know bacteria metabolisms is higher at warmer temperature, it should be the opposite at lower temperature.

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen your thread and its marvelous, dreaming to be like that one day !!!!

There is no reason why you can't. Take your time, get that nutrients under control, maintain a good water parameters and it will take off when it's ready.

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature in dispaly is showing 26.6 to 26.8 C and I have set the thermostat to the temperature of 24.9 C and will run the chiller on 1C variation. So the temperature in the sump will be between 24.9 C to 25.9 C. what do you think on this ?

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature in dispaly is showing 26.6 to 26.8 C and I have set the thermostat to the temperature of 24.9 C and will run the chiller on 1C variation. So the temperature in the sump will be between 24.9 C to 25.9 C. what do you think on this ?

Double check your exact water temperature with a glass thermometer. You need to know your actual water temperature as your chiller/digital tank thermometer doesn't tally. As for denitrator, it should be good.

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will do it and what temperature do you suggest to have in the sump, shall i increase it to 25.5 C to 26.5 C ?

Leave it as it is. Even though coral will grow a bit faster at higher temperature, I don't think it will affect the denitrator that much. I prefer my current temperature as most of my SPS was collected at tidal line area where the temperature is higher. It all depends on where most of your coral comes from and if you choose to run a bit higher, do it slowly by adjusting your chiller setting. 1/2 degree increment every two days until the desired level is reached.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done

Some for the book

Hydrogen sulfide production is connected with zero concentrations of NO3. A concentration around 1 – 2 ppm will block the production of Hydrogen sulfide in the chamber. That’s one of the reason why not let the NO3 go to zero

Using siporax in anaerobic environment tend to release silica to the water column. I know this of my own experiences. My tank runs at silicia levels close to 1100 ppm after 1 year with only 3 water changes (300 litres and 80 litres change three times). However – I have not seen any problems with this and my sponges and shrimps love it. I have Siporax at the bottom of my reversed flow DSB.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Lasse for the valuable input. Yes, when the water no longer contains nitrogen, bacteria will start consuming sulfate if I am not mistaken. Not aware of silica/silicate leaching as those ceramic bio rings are heat treated and become inert.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - you not mistaken - its however a little bit unclear if it is the same strain that changes its electron acceptor (as it is between oxygen and nitrate) or if it is another strain (or species) that use sulfate. My old knowledge says the first but younger people says the second :). but - keep at least 2 ppm nitrate in the water and you will not have hyrdogen sulphide production and not any phosphorus release from anaerobic sediments or sand.

Both me and a public Aquarium here in Gothenburg has notice elevated levels of silicia according to use of Siporax in an anaerobic Environment. It took a while before it hit the 1000 ppm level but now its stable around that level.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. Yes, i don't know either. My design was an accident, too much reading I guest. Porous media, low flow, oxygen depletion, absent of light, bacteria introduction and carbon source when combined should do the trick. I was surprised it work on my first try.

Matthias7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0040.JPG

Here is my version of your awesome idea. I had some extra marinepure cubes laying in my sump. Do you think I will have an issue using some of that in the reactor?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back