Poorly Naso, Powder Brown & Hippo Tang Diagnosis

nelliereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my 3 tangs health has rapidly deteriorated over the last week. I'm wondering if people here can help diagnose them and offer some advice on recovery. It looks like ich to me but I'm no expert. It started a few weeks after adding the Hippo.

Sorry for the potato quality, it's the best I could do. The photos actually make it look a lot worse than it looks in person, it has made me realise they're in a much worse state than I realised.
20230617_083422.jpg
20230617_083412.jpg
20230617_083411.jpg
20230617_083408.jpg
20230617_083400.jpg
20230617_083348.jpg
20230617_083343.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pictures aren't super clear (it would be better if the lights were whiter). Are the fish still eating and not breathing fast? If so, I would rule out velvet and consider that this is marine ich. Some of the spots are a little dark for ich, so there could be flukes, or it could just be the blue lights.

At this point, your options are pretty limited. I see a moderately high number of spots on the fish, that means that a technique know as "in place ich management" isn't likely going to work. You'll need to pull all of the fish and house them in a suitable treatment tank and medicate them with copper and then praziquantel (in case there are flukes).

That process is outlined here:

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I see dots over the eyes and on the powder blue tang and appears to be ich. You will need to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

OP
OP
N

nelliereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pictures aren't super clear (it would be better if the lights were whiter). Are the fish still eating and not breathing fast? If so, I would rule out velvet and consider that this is marine ich. Some of the spots are a little dark for ich, so there could be flukes, or it could just be the blue lights.

At this point, your options are pretty limited. I see a moderately high number of spots on the fish, that means that a technique know as "in place ich management" isn't likely going to work. You'll need to pull all of the fish and house them in a suitable treatment tank and medicate them with copper and then praziquantel (in case there are flukes).

That process is outlined here:

Jay
I changed to white lights and it looks so much worse again. Poor Tangs! They are eating plenty and breathing normally. I noticed today the hippo tang rubbing against a rock.

Thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated.
20230617_152936.jpg
20230617_152923.jpg

OP
OP
N

nelliereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see dots over the eyes and on the powder blue tang and appears to be ich. You will need to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
I have a 15 gallon quarantine tank. I have 3 medium-small tangs, 3 small clownfish, 1 medium wrasse, 1 small goby. Would you advise me getting more tanks, or will they be okay in the 15 gal for quarantine?

Appreciate the advice, thank you. I have test kits & copper arriving on monday.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those fish in a 15 gallon tank are going to be incredibly cramped and stressed. Stress is the last thing you want while the fish are sick. 75 gallons minimum, but even a cheap 40 gallon from petco or something off facebook would be better than the 15.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah go grab a 40Breeder at Petco they are on sale right now for $59.

OP
OP
N

nelliereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those fish in a 15 gallon tank are going to be incredibly cramped and stressed. Stress is the last thing you want while the fish are sick. 75 gallons minimum, but even a cheap 40 gallon from petco or something off facebook would be better than the 15.

Yeah go grab a 40Breeder at Petco they are on sale right now for $59.

Thanks for the comments, I have 2 300 liter tubs that I used for when I moved my tank (540liter main tank). I will repurpose those for quarintine.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comments, I have 2 300 liter tubs that I used for when I moved my tank (540liter main tank). I will repurpose those for quarintine.
Yeah tubs will work just won't be easy to see them from clear side view. In tubs you can only see top down. Good luck. It's not hard if you follow Jay and Vetguy's advice. They are two of the best.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a 15 gallon quarantine tank. I have 3 medium-small tangs, 3 small clownfish, 1 medium wrasse, 1 small goby. Would you advise me getting more tanks, or will they be okay in the 15 gal for quarantine?

Appreciate the advice, thank you. I have test kits & copper arriving on monday.
At least a 40breeder tank will suffice. If another tank, at least a 29 gallons and 15 for smaller ones like the clowns. Tub will work also.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 79.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.1%
Back