Pop eye donino damel

Rosyposey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh man so bummed every Thanksgiving something happens to my fish! So this damsel has always been a tough little critter but I noticed he was swimming at the top of the Tank which he never does and everyone else is doing well! He original came as a pair and they are always together so when I noticed this I panicked! And when I got closer he was almost asking for help really really looking at me and responding to my finger on the tank again something he never does...and upon closer inspection I saw his other eye was bulging...he's still eating and interested in food but is there anything I can do for him to help him out?? I feel like he knows if he goes down into the tank he'll either get hurt or the others will pick on him (I have an angel that won't mind her business) I can't pull him...but other than time and keeping the tank in good shape...is there anything I can do????

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ugh man so bummed every Thanksgiving something happens to my fish! So this damsel has always been a tough little critter but I noticed he was swimming at the top of the Tank which he never does and everyone else is doing well! He original came as a pair and they are always together so when I noticed this I panicked! And when I got closer he was almost asking for help really really looking at me and responding to my finger on the tank again something he never does...and upon closer inspection I saw his other eye was bulging...he's still eating and interested in food but is there anything I can do for him to help him out?? I feel like he knows if he goes down into the tank he'll either get hurt or the others will pick on him (I have an angel that won't mind her business) I can't pull him...but other than time and keeping the tank in good shape...is there anything I can do????
There are vac a few causes for popeye including gas embolism, injury to eye and others but really need to see pics under white light intensity to verify likely cause

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Without moving him to another tank, there is nothing you can do really.

If you can post a video, we can give you some idea as to how serious the issue is, some of thee eye problem heal themselves.

Jay

OP
OP
R

Rosyposey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are vac a few causes for popeye including gas embolism, injury to eye and others but really need to see pics under white light intensity to verify likely cause

Attachments

• 20231125_112134.jpg
    20231125_112134.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 31

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like eye injury but other concern is its scales beaten up and rough likely from aggression from another tank mate. Fish will likely need treatment in a separate and isolated tank and treated with maracyn 2 otherwise seachem kanaplex

OP
OP
R

Rosyposey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like eye injury but other concern is its scales beaten up and rough likely from aggression from another tank mate. Fish will likely need treatment in a separate and isolated tank and treated with maracyn 2 otherwise seachem kanaplex
It's the angel she is always chasing the others...I'm gonna have to take her back...

OP
OP
R

Rosyposey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On our way to get the kanaplex tank splitter acrylic is the best I can do for now...if I have a carbon mesh in my filtration should I remove it or leave it since it'll help remove the kanaplex??

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1, the damsel looks pretty beaten up. Funny - they are usually one of the toughest fish in a tank, I wonder if there is some underlying health issue?

Jay

OP
OP
R

Rosyposey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1, the damsel looks pretty beaten up. Funny - they are usually one of the toughest fish in a tank, I wonder if there is some underlying health issue?

Jay
I know right, I was told that they're the meanest toughest fastest fish in the tank and to be careful introducing other tank mates...could be. I did take them from a not so great pet shop where the "aquatics person get fired every other month"

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back