Pop eye?

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my clown developed pop eye overnight. I've never delt with pop eye before and not sure what caused it to come on. Is there anything I should do? The fish seems fine otherwise. Thanks in advance.
IMG_20200420_122259_01.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could mix kanaplex and focus and feed it to your fish (try not to get it in the corals as while metroplex and focus have been used in reef tanks with no problems, it isn't marketed as safe for reefs, so feed it in the corner or something)

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually when it is one eye it's from an injury of some sort. You can add plain USP epsom salts to the display tank to help relieve the swelling. 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of tank water. Can re dose once after a day or two. If the epsom salts don't help, the best antibiotic for eye infections is erythromycin. But it must be dosed in a QT as it is very hard on the bio filter of a tank.

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vlamingi tang had that happen to him, I didn't treat with any chemicals and it went away on it's own in about a month. Keep the fishy fed and healthy as you can. Good luck with him

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Popeye loves spinach!
If you are determined to medicate at least try to diagnose the cause before selecting the treatment. Wrong medications can cause death of the fish.

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish seems fine as far as I can tell, I don't want to add anything unless it's needed. As of right now it's just one eye and all other fish seen ok. Not sure what caused it to come on but until this morning she has been the same

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually when it is one eye it's from an injury of some sort. You can add plain USP epsom salts to the display tank to help relieve the swelling. 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of tank water. Can re dose once after a day or two. If the epsom salts don't help, the best antibiotic for eye infections is erythromycin. But it must be dosed in a QT as it is very hard on the bio filter of a tank.
WHats the biggest tank youd consider dosing in this way? I have a 235g system with a foxface with cloudy eyes, and I'm looking at dosing 733grams of epsom salt.

Thanks!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly wouldn't do something with your tank if you feel uncomfortable. Caution is always wise. That being said, several members have dosed your size tank and some much larger with success.
An alternative would be to spot feed your fish with food + vitamins (I prefer Beta Glucan. More info on BG below) to boost the fish's immune system.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back