Popbloom RS90 wifi upgrade

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a recap, I received the new WiFi modules today (there was 4 in total and I also received one a few months back for my 5th light)
All installed and working as they should.
I can’t honestly unfortunately put faith in these lights that the wifi modules will last that long and cause of the downtime I did end up purchasing new lights locally. The reef tank would have been down without lights for over 2 weeks which would cause issue with all my corals for sure.
Dont get me wrong, I really like the lights, but not having any local suppliers in North America makes for longer shipping obviously as they come straight from China. And also having 5 out of 5 wifi modules fail, it likely means a production issues (I’m sure PopBloom will hopefully fix this flaw)

The only issue that might have caused this that I can think of (if it’s possible) is that we had a power outage one day. Never checked or played with the app afterwards as no need to, then one day when I did try to check the light functions, they didn’t work. Who knows.
(I also did put these wifi chips under a microscope to see if there was any visible breaks in the circuit board and didn’t visually find anything)

PopBloom owned up to the faults in the end. Wished I didn’t need to spend the extra on new lights (radions) but I will still keep one of these lights on the frag system and eventually find a use for the other 4!!

Thanks again Oliver for expediting and sending out the new wifi modules
IMG_1857.jpeg

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, coal need lighting.
as I said, "Honestly speaking , I do not know where is the bug points. But I know the importance of the lighting for coral , want to solve your lighting fast and trust you to help find out the reason latter."
1, I try the fast shipping, as you see, it is only 8 days.
2, you only need on /off the power by hands during the 8 days.

I feel very sorry that I tried so much to fast , but " I did end up purchasing new lights locally. " ...:loudly-crying-face:

Would please may help us find out the real problem now ?

Technically speak, each light is individuals it is IMPOSSIBLE that all 5 lights broken as same time without external special cases.

So I asked "are all 5 wifi module lost control suddenly or one by one ?"
you said “Step by step”.
today, I see there is a "we had a power outage one day."

would please I am little confused about the information, May I ask you help answer some quesion which much help me understand the status of the lights when problem.

1,“Never checked or played with the app afterwards as no need to” , Do you mean the light run schedule but can not connet to your phone.

2, after I agree to send the new bords to you. when power on, the light is
A, on always
B. off always
C, run schedule but can not connet to your phone.

3, Would please decribe how you reset the light to enter the "connect mode", I mean "flash"
may it possible you help take a short video so how you enter the re-connect with the new boards.

I know it is not good feeling to answer this and that. What you have done will much h0elp make this forum more genuine and more trusting of each other.

Thank you very very very much!

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a recap, I received the new WiFi modules today (there was 4 in total and I also received one a few months back for my 5th light)
All installed and working as they should.
I can’t honestly unfortunately put faith in these lights that the wifi modules will last that long and cause of the downtime I did end up purchasing new lights locally. The reef tank would have been down without lights for over 2 weeks which would cause issue with all my corals for sure.
Dont get me wrong, I really like the lights, but not having any local suppliers in North America makes for longer shipping obviously as they come straight from China. And also having 5 out of 5 wifi modules fail, it likely means a production issues (I’m sure PopBloom will hopefully fix this flaw)

The only issue that might have caused this that I can think of (if it’s possible) is that we had a power outage one day. Never checked or played with the app afterwards as no need to, then one day when I did try to check the light functions, they didn’t work. Who knows.
(I also did put these wifi chips under a microscope to see if there was any visible breaks in the circuit board and didn’t visually find anything)

PopBloom owned up to the faults in the end. Wished I didn’t need to spend the extra on new lights (radions) but I will still keep one of these lights on the frag system and eventually find a use for the other 4!!

Thanks again Oliver for expediting and sending out the new wifi modules

Yes, coal need lighting.
as I said, "Honestly speaking , I do not know where is the bug points. But I know the importance of the lighting for coral , want to solve your lighting fast and trust you to help find out the reason latter."
1, I try the fast shipping, as you see, it is only 8 days.
2, you only need on /off the power by hands during the 8 days.

I feel very sorry that I tried so much to fast , but " I did end up purchasing new lights locally. " ...:loudly-crying-face:

Would please may help us find out the real problem now ?

Technically speak, each light is individuals it is IMPOSSIBLE that all 5 lights broken as same time without external special cases.

So I asked "are all 5 wifi module lost control suddenly or one by one ?"
you said “Step by step”.
today, I see there is a "we had a power outage one day."

would please I am little confused about the information, May I ask you help answer some quesion which much help me understand the status of the lights when problem.

1,“Never checked or played with the app afterwards as no need to” , Do you mean the light run schedule but can not connet to your phone.

2, after I agree to send the new bords to you. when power on, the light is
A, on always
B. off always
C, run schedule but can not connet to your phone.

3, Would please decribe how you reset the light to enter the "connect mode", I mean "flash"
may it possible you help take a short video so how you enter the re-connect with the new boards.

I know it is not good feeling to answer this and that. What you have done will much h0elp make this forum more genuine and more trusting of each other.

Thank you very very very much!
No what I am saying is the new boards came and I replaced them and all the lights work good now.

I always mentioned that I appreciated you trying to ship fast which you did. But crossing an ocean is crossing an ocean and wouldn’t be something that’s possible to be shipped within a day Oliver. You did it right pal.

Anyways, you and Demi are a good company to deal with. It would be awesome if it could have been shipped sooner , but again, not your fault.

The “Original” chips were definitely faulty, I tried about a million times to pair them to app.
The “NEW” chips worked perfectly on the first try.

Thank you

Djmac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Oliver@DSunY ,

My replacement wifi board is still faulty. I’ve messaged the Popbloom store (where I purchased the wifi board from) on AliExpress and I haven’t had a reply.

The light runs at 100% power when turned on, and won’t enter pairing mode or join wifi.

Can you help out?

Cheers
Dave

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now aliexpress are in holiday , Please tomorrow, they will reply your message.

would you please what is your order information ?

Djmac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update for anyone else following the thread. I have two RS90 that I've upgraded to the wifi model. One light has been fine (my right hand one) but my left one has had two faulty boards.

I've swapped the first light back to the old style manual controller. I'll probably do this on the other light as well just so they are the same, at least until I can get the left side light fixed.

I'm lucky I have the option of going back to the manual controller.

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very thank you for you information. you are information help me starting to take this thing seriously.

I checked all warried information.
1, there are 11 cases for wifi reset (include you and Mechano)
2, others 5 cases is new light. 4 cases are old
3, 2 case is solved by reinstall the Tuya app. 3 cases is solved during describe the problem.
4, 4 case has to send a new board

that is why Demo always asked reintall the app or retry after a day. They learn from the cases.

At that time, we have no useful information about this problem, because sale team just want to help customers solve them problem. They thought it was also "uncorrect operation way" AT THAT TIME. Aslo, the faut rate is far less then 0.1%.

Now, I get the same information from you and Mechano cases.
1, there was a power went out before problem
2, all 2 cases replace one boards before, then problem again with same light/lights.

I am lucky that you familiar with electronic and wifi issue. thank you for your test 3.3V. now I can sure the wifi module is working..

what is your advice?

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update for anyone else following the thread. I have two RS90 that I've upgraded to the wifi model. One light has been fine (my right hand one) but my left one has had two faulty boards.

I've swapped the first light back to the old style manual controller. I'll probably do this on the other light as well just so they are the same, at least until I can get the left side light fixed.

I'm lucky I have the option of going back to the manual controller.
It’s a good thing you still had the manual controller on hand, especially if u are reliant on only these lights over your reef tank!

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very thank you for you information. you are information help me starting to take this thing seriously.

I checked all warried information.
1, there are 11 cases for wifi reset (include you and Mechano)
2, others 5 cases is new light. 4 cases are old
3, 2 case is solved by reinstall the Tuya app. 3 cases is solved during describe the problem.
4, 4 case has to send a new board

that is why Demo always asked reintall the app or retry after a day. They learn from the cases.

At that time, we have no useful information about this problem, because sale team just want to help customers solve them problem. They thought it was also "uncorrect operation way" AT THAT TIME. Aslo, the faut rate is far less then 0.1%.

Now, I get the same information from you and Mechano cases.
1, there was a power went out before problem
2, all 2 cases replace one boards before, then problem again with same light/lights.

I am lucky that you familiar with electronic and wifi issue. thank you for your test 3.3V. now I can sure the wifi module is working..

what is your advice?
Spoke to Demi and when u guys get me the postage I am gonna send all OLD ORIGINAL wifi chips back to you so you guys can do the testing and R&D.

I have one of these lights with the new wifi chip on my frag tank that’s working as it should be.

The other 4 were tested after I replaced those chips and they all worked as they should but haven’t tried since. Not sure on longevity though as they aren’t installed to my big system anymore so I can’t comment.

I think it would be a good idea to supply the manual controller with the wifi units as a back up just in case with your units maybe.

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for your gentle support and kindly help very much.

Sending the old back will much help us and Tuya do more analaysize.
At first, I think the power-cut broken the module, but it is not.
Djmac helps test his old wifi module yesterday . the power of 3.3V is correct and the module is working.
It is much easy to let our R&D do more analysize。

Please I am very sorry for the WiFi module trouble for you. how about no-time limitation warrianty for your wifi. I really do not think it will break again, but if so, connect us for new replacement, forever .

Also, we will launch RL50 (60W, armkit , wifi) before April, it is amazing looks nice. I am very happy to invitate you for the Beta test. (free product , only shipping cost) to thank you for your kindly help to me.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need my hands.
thank you again.

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear all.
seems there is a bug : after power outage, sometimes wifi module can not enter the reset mode.
I will update the result information after we analize the sending-back module.

I am very sorry for this.

would please if you find out that your module can not enter the reset mode.
1, please try it after some hours (maybe it is busy in global server)
2, reset your wifi router first and ensure your phone connect to the wifi router.
3, after 3 times, waiting 2-3 minutes.
4, if not enter the reset mode. take a short video to show problem and contact us.

we will ship you a new replacement FREE by the FAST way no matter warranty time.

During the shipping, you can power on and power off the light by hands.

From our records, the faut rate is far less then 0.1%.

I am very sorry for this again.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.3%
Back