Popbloom RS90 wifi upgrade

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, 4 (a bit bigger) x 2, 2 lights, mixed reef..... Mixed channel settings, 45-80-75-50....

It is ok, but, 3 units will be much better solution, for spread and cover....

Callum121

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry, The test is finished,

You may ask for a discount and tell them you will help them make a test the translation about the user manual for your local language or help give a review . :)

The link for your reference.
Can't seem to find the bit for just the wifi module as I'm looking to upgrade my trio set also on the controller it says sync with phone time but it doesn't seem to do anything

Djmac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having problems again with my RS90 upgraded to Wifi. My left side light (same one I was having issues with before) is now staying 100% brightness and not connecting to wifi on teh replacement board that Oliver has provided. I swapped the old intermittently faulty wifi board back in, and it intermittently works so I dont think its the light unit itself.

2 faulty boards out of 3 total isn't great.

@Oliver@DSunY are you able to replace this faulty board?​

Its interesting that my right side light has been rock solid, always works. The left hand one has had problems with two boards so far.

I'll also reiterate what I mentioned before, having teh ligths come on at 100% brightness when the board fails is not great. Wont take long to bleach out the corals, seems like a big oversight in the design.

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% when lost WiFi is designed by following concept.
1, if no lighting, there will big damage with the coral.
2, if 100%, the user can shut the light by hands or timers until get the replacement.

Yes, 2 boards no connecting with same light in really unnormal.
I remember
1, left light run some months, then there is no connection to your wifi router.
2, you said swapping the two lights, the left is no signal when do the self-testing.
3, So replace the wifi boards. after some months, the left is no signal again.
am I right.

Would please help test the wifi next the wifi router. I mean shut down the light, and put it within 10 meters of the router. then do the singal self-testing .

may it possible you help swap the wifi boards, then test the singal within 10 m fo the router.

Djmac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not a wifi signal issue. The faulty board (2nd one) will not enter pairing mode at all (after 3x power off and power on cycle). It’s completely unresponsive.

To answer your suggestion though the wifi access point is within 10 meters,

I’ve tried extensively to get it to re-enter pairing mode.

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having problems again with my RS90 upgraded to Wifi. My left side light (same one I was having issues with before) is now staying 100% brightness and not connecting to wifi on teh replacement board that Oliver has provided. I swapped the old intermittently faulty wifi board back in, and it intermittently works so I dont think its the light unit itself.

2 faulty boards out of 3 total isn't great.

@Oliver@DSunY are you able to replace this faulty board?​

Its interesting that my right side light has been rock solid, always works. The left hand one has had problems with two boards so far.

I'll also reiterate what I mentioned before, having teh ligths come on at 100% brightness when the board fails is not great. Wont take long to bleach out the corals, seems like a big oversight in the design.
I have recently seen 5 out of 5 wifi chips fail on my RL90s.
1 failed a few months back replaced the chip and works fine. But now the other ones (4 in total) won’t even connect to wifi anymore. I did check these beside a modem with a strong signal and another modem at work.
I feel like I’m getting the run-around from the support department at PopBloom.

So 5 out of 5 wifi chips/boards that have failed on lights that are under 10 month upon purchase but only in use about 8 months. :( Still waiting to “hear back from engineers” but I am not holding my breathe…..

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently seen 5 out of 5 wifi chips fail on my RL90s.
1 failed a few months back replaced the chip and works fine. But now the other ones (4 in total) won’t even connect to wifi anymore. I did check these beside a modem with a strong signal and another modem at work.
I feel like I’m getting the run-around from the support department at PopBloom.

So 5 out of 5 wifi chips/boards that have failed on lights that are under 10 month upon purchase but only in use about 8 months. :( Still waiting to “hear back from engineers” but I am not holding my breathe…..
I am Oliver. Will help you solve it as soon as possible.

would please which platfrom or agent you conect, I do not think it is good to "run-around", no matter what reason. I will report to company about this case.

Now focus on Wifi boards problem. From your description. I seen there is a replacement before and work fine.
AS you see the light a separate (independent ), technically speak. it is unormal that 5 separate individuals are bad at the same time,twice. And it is really hard for me make conclusion only from the txt descripion . So I really need more information to help me analize (find out) the reason.

Would please may it possible you send me some pictures or video show the status (or problem) about the 5 light.
My mail [email protected]

Would please if it is diffcult for you to take pictures or video show the problem, forget it , it is ok. I will help you arrange a return and full refind. All is up to you.

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am Oliver. Will help you solve it as soon as possible.

would please which platfrom or agent you conect, I do not think it is good to "run-around", no matter what reason. I will report to company about this case.

Now focus on Wifi boards problem. From your description. I seen there is a replacement before and work fine.
AS you see the light a separate (independent ), technically speak. it is unormal that 5 separate individuals are bad at the same time,twice. And it is really hard for me make conclusion only from the txt descripion . So I really need more information to help me analize (find out) the reason.

Would please may it possible you send me some pictures or video show the status (or problem) about the 5 light.
My mail [email protected]

Would please if it is diffcult for you to take pictures or video show the problem, forget it , it is ok. I will help you arrange a return and full refind. All is up to you.

Hey Oliver. Thanks for the reply.
Presently I am dealing with Demi via Amazon and WhatsApp. I have sent him/her multiple videos, pictures, and processes that I have tried.
I even tried using a different wifi source so it’s not a wifi problem at all 100%.

I thought the same thing that it’s odd that 4 wifi boards would fail in similar time spans as well but who knows…maybe it was just a batch manufactured batch?

I have 5 RL90 units I purchased this year in March, 2023. I’m in Canada as well (if that matters)

Thanks for your time and I can still reach out to you if it will help to WhatsApp or email if you prefer. Just wanna get this fixed as the lights otherwise are great

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Oliver. Thanks for the reply.
Presently I am dealing with Demi via Amazon and WhatsApp. I have sent him/her multiple videos, pictures, and processes that I have tried.
I even tried using a different wifi source so it’s not a wifi problem at all 100%.

I thought the same thing that it’s odd that 4 wifi boards would fail in similar time spans as well but who knows…maybe it was just a batch manufactured batch?

I have 5 RL90 units I purchased this year in March, 2023. I’m in Canada as well (if that matters)

Thanks for your time and I can still reach out to you if it will help to WhatsApp or email if you prefer. Just wanna get this fixed as the lights otherwise are great

I will contact Amazon team today and will give you reply in 24 hours.

I am sorry for this trouble to you and very thank for your gentle patient and help.

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sounds good. If u need any info via email or WhatsApp , please let me know.
(Eg. Receipt, etc etc)

OP
OP
alain Bouchard

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Im in canada as well, for what its worth, been running with 4 wifi board for about a year I guess, and have had no issue with those at all. Had em connected to wifi without issue and are still running great.. not sure if there are different version of the boards, as mine are clearly from the first commercialized version.

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Eg. Receipt, etc etc)
Hello Mechano:

Yes, Demi received your pictures and video, but this has never happened to us before, So
1, he send all to R&D department .
2, engineer has seen that the light is flash and waiting to connect to WiFi router, so he make conclusion
A: Tuya system is bussy in canada now and hope try after 24 hours
B: Mobile phone does not compatible with Tuya app, the user name and passwords do no send to light
C: app down , has to be reinstall.
3, Demi think you have try to many times, so ask you for to help re-install app.
4, Demi is waiting R&D for more guide. Engineer waiting Demi for double comfirm is there really problems.

now, there is the run-around, I am sorry for this .

Would please help double comfirm the following.

The wifi module run it internal saved parameter when it lost wifi connect to router after finish setting. But can be controlled by mobile phone . so

1, are all 5 wifi module lost control suddenly or one by one ?
2 have you change the WiFi router setting before 5 wifi module down?
3 , have you change the phone before 5 wifi module down ?

Let us try one last time. step by step.
1, check the wifi router, ensure the router support 2.4G (not 5G only). module use the 2.4G channel.
2, re-install the app.
3, open the bluetooth.
4, power on the lights , they are flashing and waiting connection automatically
5, double ensure the passwords and username.

very thank you for this try and your kindness support .
let us know the result.

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Eg. Receipt, etc etc)
OK, I will let you know if I need pictures or video by email.

Demi told me you are familiar with light setting . so I do not think it is necessary to check how you run the app and power on the light. -)

waiting for the result of the try.

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Mechano:

Yes, Demi received your pictures and video, but this has never happened to us before, So
1, he send all to R&D department .
2, engineer has seen that the light is flash and waiting to connect to WiFi router, so he make conclusion
A: Tuya system is bussy in canada now and hope try after 24 hours
B: Mobile phone does not compatible with Tuya app, the user name and passwords do no send to light
C: app down , has to be reinstall.
3, Demi think you have try to many times, so ask you for to help re-install app.
4, Demi is waiting R&D for more guide. Engineer waiting Demi for double comfirm is there really problems.

now, there is the run-around, I am sorry for this .

Would please help double comfirm the following.

The wifi module run it internal saved parameter when it lost wifi connect to router after finish setting. But can be controlled by mobile phone . so

1, are all 5 wifi module lost control suddenly or one by one ?
2 have you change the WiFi router setting before 5 wifi module down?
3 , have you change the phone before 5 wifi module down ?

Let us try one last time. step by step.
1, check the wifi router, ensure the router support 2.4G (not 5G only). module use the 2.4G channel.
2, re-install the app.
3, open the bluetooth.
4, power on the lights , they are flashing and waiting connection automatically
5, double ensure the passwords and username.

very thank you for this try and your kindness support .
let us know the result.
1) 4 out of 5 will not connect. Only one does and it works fine. (I had one several weeks back that failed and u guys sent a new wifi chip and it works fine)
2) no changes to wifi router
3)newer iPhone. But still had my old one and actually tried it with my old one. (Still doesn’t work)

“Step by step”
1)confirmed 2.4
2) have reinstalled the smart life app, no difference (also tried the Tuva app—still no)
3)confirmed when prompted and Bluetooth is on always and permission thru app allowed
4)perform reset, app acknowledges the light is there but always fails to connect on 4 out of 5 lights
5)username and passwords 110% correct

**please advise what else we can try Oliver if there is anything else to try.
**additional note is I also tried the above steps with a different modem at my work place and no change—-still doesn’t work. Frustrating….

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, you have done enough and very well.

we will send you 4 pcs new wifi module in 48 hours. Demi will help the shipping issue.

Honestly speaking , I do not know where is the bug points. But I know the importance of the lighting for coral , want to solve your lighting fast and trust you to help find out the reason latter.

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Once they arrive and I install them , I’ll report back to share the results Oliver.
Thanks

Djmac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still out of luck with my failed RS90 (upgraded to wifi RL90). The failed board does nothing (light comes on at full power, wont enter "pairing" mode either). I was on the verge of replacing these with a different brand (noopsyche or AI) but finding it hard to justify having spent $500+ on these lights to just throw them away.

@Oliver@DSunY have you got any options for getting this fixed?

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a recap, I received the new WiFi modules today (there was 4 in total and I also received one a few months back for my 5th light)
All installed and working as they should.
I can’t honestly unfortunately put faith in these lights that the wifi modules will last that long and cause of the downtime I did end up purchasing new lights locally. The reef tank would have been down without lights for over 2 weeks which would cause issue with all my corals for sure.
Dont get me wrong, I really like the lights, but not having any local suppliers in North America makes for longer shipping obviously as they come straight from China. And also having 5 out of 5 wifi modules fail, it likely means a production issues (I’m sure PopBloom will hopefully fix this flaw)

The only issue that might have caused this that I can think of (if it’s possible) is that we had a power outage one day. Never checked or played with the app afterwards as no need to, then one day when I did try to check the light functions, they didn’t work. Who knows.
(I also did put these wifi chips under a microscope to see if there was any visible breaks in the circuit board and didn’t visually find anything)

PopBloom owned up to the faults in the end. Wished I didn’t need to spend the extra on new lights (radions) but I will still keep one of these lights on the frag system and eventually find a use for the other 4!!

Thanks again Oliver for expediting and sending out the new wifi modules

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back