popeye catalufa soldierfish...anyone have one of these...

reef_freak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about adding one if these beautiful creatures to my 180 but have read mixed reviews in them being out and about. I know they are mostly nocturnal but I have also read where some folks say they do stay out front and center a good percentage of the time. So thought I would see if anyone has ever had one and if so what their experience is or was. I don't mind the nocturnal part but would be nice to see a fish like that on more than just an occasion :)

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question, also been interested in this as they have been catching my attention on LADD and my LFS has one. My only concern is that they are larger and might eat my smaller wrasses, although this guy doesn't look like he'd be super fast, haha.

StReNuOuS BiOmArKeR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are beautiful fish awkward body shape and HUGE eyes! the ones i have cared for can be picky eaters at first meaning only taking live foods.....ghost shrimp. but some would soon eat krill or small silversides. they were susceptible to pop eye and or air bubbles within the actual eyeball itself and was not easy to treat for.
my only concern is if you will be adding this to a reef? they will eat anything and everything that wiggles or moves as long as it will fit in their mouth. i have had some only be in caves and some always be front and center but always in fish only systems.
hope this might be helpful.

OP
OP
R

reef_freak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very helpful. This will be going in my 180 FOWSCTTFWNE (fish only with the corals that the fish will not eat ;) ). Got only some mushrooms and a couple of leathers right now.
So no small fish or critters. So far just a majestic angel. I will also be adding a harlequin tusk, magnificent fox face and a couple of other fish that I am not sure of yet.

The eating thing worries me though as with the fish I plan to get the soldier fish may miss out if he is not quick enough.....even if I start with live foods. Although DD says they are eating PE at the moment..... Hmmm, need to think on this.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back