Popeye in angel

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked this guy up today. Came in to the store fine on Wednesday but developed Popeye sometime Thursday night. Looks to be just injury related so I'm assuming no treatment is needed but wanted second opinions.

Guy is still in the bag for acclimation so easiest way to get pictures. Will be in a qt so quick treatment will be an option if needed. For now it's only on 1 eye and isn't cloudy.
20210122_155623.jpg
20210122_155641.jpg
20210122_155659.jpg
20210122_155606.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi ,let call the Dr. @Jay Hemdal ,best wishes ,leave out of tank at this point wait for experts,i see both eyes? torn tail?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that does appear to be injury-induced exophthalmia. I've had issues getting that to resolve in some cases. I had even built a pressure chamber that would reduce with bubbles, but when I bleed off the pressure, the bubbles would return. I've tried aspirating the bubbles with a fine syringe, but they almost always return (probably due to the extra trauma from handling the fish). Sometimes though, this issues resolves on its own. If it affects both eyes, or you start to see cloudiness, you could try dosing the treatment tank with erythromycin.

Here is a link to an article I wrote some years ago:

Jay

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that does appear to be injury-induced exophthalmia. I've had issues getting that to resolve in some cases. I had even built a pressure chamber that would reduce with bubbles, but when I bleed off the pressure, the bubbles would return. I've tried aspirating the bubbles with a fine syringe, but they almost always return (probably due to the extra trauma from handling the fish). Sometimes though, this issues resolves on its own. If it affects both eyes, or you start to see cloudiness, you could try dosing the treatment tank with erythromycin.

Here is a link to an article I wrote some years ago:

Jay
Thanks for the link. I'm really hoping with good water and some lrs and selcon it will clear up on its own. Currently in a qt with a baby blue jaw trigger and 2 springer damsels to hopefully teach him to eat.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eye might be slightly better this morning. I'll be able able get a better look when lights come on.

Definitely still only in 1 eye and not cloudy. Looka to be moving the eye around normally and the swelling appears to be mostly other tipoff the eye now.

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems better today. He is venturing out finally, everytime I sneak into the doorway of the room he is out swimming the entire qt. Also developing some of the typical cautiously curious angel behavior. If I stand in front of the tank he'll slowly come out to check me out before darting behind decor. I catch him picking qt some lrs too.

As for the eyes I'm optimistic. The 1 eye still looks normal so no bacterial or fungal infections that spread. The tiny air bubbles in the infected eye have all gone away and the swelling seems to be localized to the upper part of the eye now and not around the entire pupil anymore. Still large but hopefully it gets smaller every day. If it doesn't ever go back to normal at least he appears healthy and ill give Popeye a good life in my DT lol.
20210124_194308.jpg
20210124_194441.jpg

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's been a few days. The eye is definitely better but still has Popeye. Still clear and only the 1 eye.

Good news is the fish seems healthy, keeps coming out more, swimming around and picking at things, eating.

I'm debating if I should start any treatment. The lfs FW dipped to check for flukes and didn't find any. It also hasn't spread to the other fish. I plan on dosing prazipro but held off so far, wanted to get everyone eating good first. Am thinking maybe using melafix as a first line since it's mild and shouldn't supress appetite.
20210128_084903.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back