Popeye not going away

XYLAART

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Pyjama Cardinal has popeye and has been in a quarantine tank for just about 2 months. I dosed Maracyn II for 3 weeks with required water changes and then did a full water change and switched to Erythromycin for 2 weeks. I did also add a bit of Epson salt 2x during the end of my Maracyn II treatment. Then I took a break for about 10 days. Although she looks better than when I initially started treatment we are at a standstill and it is not going down. I put her back in the display last night to see how she would do and the eye looks more swolen than yesterday in the quarantine tank. Her bahavior seems to be ok and she has been eating fine. Any advice is appreciated

PXL_20230924_161706531.jpg PXL_20230924_161740497.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My Pyjama Cardinal has popeye and has been in a quarantine tank for just about 2 months. I dosed Maracyn II for 3 weeks with required water changes and then did a full water change and switched to Erythromycin for 2 weeks. I did also add a bit of Epson salt 2x during the end of my Maracyn II treatment. Then I took a break for about 10 days. Although she looks better than when I initially started treatment we are at a standstill and it is not going down. I put her back in the display last night to see how she would do and the eye looks more swolen than yesterday in the quarantine tank. Her bahavior seems to be ok and she has been eating fine. Any advice is appreciated

PXL_20230924_161706531.jpg PXL_20230924_161740497.jpg
Sometimes this does not resolve - and IME Flukes can also cause a pop-eye issue. Have you treated with praziquantel>

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sometimes this does not resolve - and IME Flukes can also cause a pop-eye issue. Have you treated with praziquantel>
Sometimes - with pop-eye - the eye is not salvageable - given the fact that you say it is acting normal - I am not sure. BUT - did you treat with antibiotics in your display or a hospital tank? If display - I would move the fish to a hospital tank - and treat with a broader spectrum antibiotic (kanamycin. neomycin)

OP
OP
XYLAART

XYLAART

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes - with pop-eye - the eye is not salvageable - given the fact that you say it is acting normal - I am not sure. BUT - did you treat with antibiotics in your display or a hospital tank? If display - I would move the fish to a hospital tank - and treat with a broader spectrum antibiotic (kanamycin. neomycin)
treated in a quarantine tank with Maracyn II and then Erythromycin

OP
OP
XYLAART

XYLAART

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I have not heard of praziquantel. None of my other fish have any symptoms. This fish has been in quarantine for about 2 months with different water

Last edited:
OP
OP
XYLAART

XYLAART

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hospital tank. I will try these other antibiotics, thank you

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hospital tank. I will try these other antibiotics, thank you
If it were flukes, in almost every case, both eyes would be involved.

Some of these eye injuries never fully heal, and in those that do, it can take 4 to 6 weeks.

Each time you move the fish you increase the chance of more damage.

If the fish is eating well and if the other eye doesn’t become involved, I would just leave it alone.

Jay

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were flukes, in almost every case, both eyes would be involved.

Some of these eye injuries never fully heal, and in those that do, it can take 4 to 6 weeks.

Each time you move the fish you increase the chance of more damage.

If the fish is eating well and if the other eye doesn’t become involved, I would just leave it alone.

Jay
No treatment?
I have an anthias with popeye. Medication in Australia is limited to api type treatments

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No treatment?
I have an anthias with popeye. Medication in Australia is limited to api type treatments
I answered in your other thread.....

Jay

Sarcasm Included

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to point out that despite marketing as Freshwater and Saltwater, Minocycline (Maracyn 2) binds with Calcium so is next to useless in hardwater or marine environments. It is great in soft water tanks though.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to point out that despite marketing as Freshwater and Saltwater, Minocycline (Maracyn 2) binds with Calcium so is next to useless in hardwater or marine environments. It is great in soft water tanks though.
Yes, people confuse Maracyn 1 with Maracyn 2 and even MarOxy - it is Maracyn 1 that should be used for eye infections.

Jay

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back