Popeye?

ggm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Was wondering if someone could give me some advice/guidance on what to do with my chalk bass, I've recently noticed his eye protruding from his head and looks pretty bad.

I'm not sure what to do as all the other fish are fine and only one eye is affected and he is still eating normally.

I've attached some pictures and in person it looks like an air bubble that's trapped in his eyes? If anyone has any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

received_244360246256042.jpeg

received_310523416403856.jpeg

received_256625121720622.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

ggm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any issues dosing directly into main display or should I quarantine?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any issues dosing directly into main display or should I quarantine?

Epsom salt is just magnesium sulfate, so it can be dosed into a reef environment. Just mix it good in RODI beforehand and pour it into your sump.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ggm I dose Epsom salts with no issues at all. Make sure you get pure nothing scented !

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a blenny with pop eye, Since it would hide all the time, I caught it way too late. It was about as big as your bass' eye, it eneded up falling off.... but he is still fine 6 months latter, just only has one eye...

OP
OP
G

ggm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully the epsom salt will help! Cheers everyone

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like an eye injury. Dose Epsom salt (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons) to help ease the swelling.
sir, I have a harlequin tusk in quarantine removed from my 300 gal because it has severe fin rot and Popeye. The eye is clear but very swollen. I have had this fish for over a year and it has been declining for six months. I believe it got bit by my trigger and has had very mild unhealing fins but we moved it from a 180 tank to 300 gal and within days it got Popeye and the fin rot exploded. The fish was easy to catch so I know it was probably close to death. I have treated it with four days of furon, lights out. Did not feed for two days but when I tried to feed krill and large mysis after that it has not eaten in about 6 days now. We did water change 20% yesterday and checked water chemistry which was normal parameters. I was going to try the epsom salt today. How many days should I do?
And should I try something else for the fin rot. I have another 4 days worth of furon for a 40gal quarantine, I also have erthyomyocin, melafix and Prazipro. I was thinking of doing a Prazipro treatment after the antibiotics anyway due to the fish’s general decline. It is usually not picked on in the main fish only tank.
Thank you for helping.
Kindel

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back