Popular corals in the wild!

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been lucky enough to dive several times, but my photographic abilities under water is less than desirable.

The last trip to Turks I just gotten certified for open water and was on my first regular dive. I had the gopro 8 recording the whole thing and we saw amazing corals, sharks (small), sting rays, turtles, and so many types of fish.

I found out as soon as I got to about 35 feet the gopro stopped recording due to the pressure. Newbie move!

The trip before that I was diving (not certified) in Cozumel I brought my Sony RX-100 V with a diving case. I just did not have enough light, lens length, or time capture anything at the macro level.

I have never seen a zoa either, but definitely other things we have in our tanks.

reeferZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did my first dive in Thailand last November before covid. Took 3 days to get PADI certified. Was wonderful. Did plenty of snorkeling too. Was able to check out acro colonies off a local beach that was pretty crowded. Shocked that things looked so well there.

Also, we paid under 400 USD to get certified. One of the cheapest places in the world and super beautiful. Big win

Justin_Casper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are so awesome. I tend to dislike the glaring differences between our tanks and the oceans. Yes they are more colorful and beautiful in their own right, however super unnatural looking (This is only my opinion).

There is one Instagram account I follow that dives in the southern Japanese islands. His handle is @ishiro61. This picture from him is the reason why I love staghorns and want to try to emulate something of the like in an aquarium.

A2953A09-6762-47A7-A280-5DDD593C6059.jpeg

Corgigirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds so cool! I've always wanted to dive. I was going to take a year off of school and travel the world, but COVID cancelled that. Now I've started my MD-PhD program and likely won't be able to until I graduate. One day though!
Diving is one of my favorite things...when you have time, give it a try. It’s peaceful and beautiful and just such an awesome thing to do. It’s like a whole different world :)

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s organize a reef2reef diving event for beginners. Would love to partake

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few shots from my travels. These are from French Polynesia, either Tahiti, Morea or Bora Bora.

A domino damsel family and their anenome

ACtC-3flJK81tdB7b7KZcn0nL_u2jNNdY0PRI1jNQ2I3sKYS4hrcqeSbe57sifbD6aOOZ7rFDlX7Sh8DXp2b2kIiatqMqkICAKST_XUsCIwJcwJOCrBbex4n7yRoFjwDkbqV6DOOGTYau2wqWZvrYWZmY06S=w1024-h768-no

Blue chromis and other denziens of a large patch of staghorn coral.
ACtC-3d7R1aJBNeWiLXoe3KXZ9WS15LVcBQJ5fuYa5vXlzkzbSrXR2qOI_MbiFswefoERY3C6kCwOjmkDE5wg4002J_TU2MoPQB7qjbkfkEP09sL6lcE3bxjyqHsK0xXgOANVGiaAx_T4sdlmp0XO653PNG6=w1275-h956-no

A lagoon about 4 feet deep, with medium sized coral heads made for fun snorkeling ...
ACtC-3eQHgAmQ0042EGq2O5VRX_z1kcSN8A7ugia88_YzHkLuu8Cz2XAuo54E7CD-vRgGWOBigP46JAzQoB9xaQNFUcfoNulnVojqke8xf-bXwFBMUm302Ka1M_D0FI_MhfhXxssxtQm2wGOgy0eegcjrNyc=w1275-h956-no

... as long as you avoided these rock boring urchins which were plentiful.
ACtC-3futan8EJYCihS3qZot9HJVK7f1INKfG6KZOdrXWrUCsp3C9Zq6gJDQUAPd1CDpr_2pNRtbQluTfbfcdLNhlSHYwQJ5-K1eLzLawC2l7V009m-04doW1n2VU968m7EtqsrtHGzCk8V2c-wdL3diwQXe=w1275-h956-no

I am not sure what type of coral this is, but in the bottom of the channel in Bora Bora, there were coral heads measuring in the hundreds of feet (photo of small ones in the lagoon).
ACtC-3cEqbTcSLVtBeYNbE_YRbG-EuaysgFraaaeaA8sgWnI6sxXnytxsa7MZyA54g1sOz9E9efNgkHSNHXBFoflIyAWPbPwImEU1visPJFVvq99gHrIZM4OfMosthlWKJJxjNBhUJEJHs7ax7B5xeK8-teO=w1275-h956-no

Dennis
Nice! First is a green sea turtle, Bora Bora 2004.
Next is a 10 ft Lemon Shark, Morrea 2004.

Loved all the Butterfly fish and Anemones we saw there amongst other species... paradise.

Attachments

• 20210224_221156.jpg
    20210224_221156.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 20210220_151137.jpg
    20210220_151137.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 61

brandon p

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Thought it would be cool to make a thread on some popular corals in the wild. They are some really interesting ones, and I think it's really neat to see some popular species in their natural habitats.

ehb6krjxf7j61.jpg

First, here's a pretty famous one. This is a torch coral at low tide. Taken in the Maldives. One thing you'll notice in these pics: without the blues of our light systems, corals tend to appear a lot less colorful. The natural sunlight changes their appearance.

Great-Barrier-Reef-2019-Coral-spawn-credit-Pablo-Cogollos.jpeg

Here's a really cool pic of a mass coral spawning event that occurred in 2019 on the great barrier reef. Scientists photographed it and collected samples of the sex cells so that they can raise them in labs. This gives them info on the corals lifecycle and development, and helps them find ways to better protect the reefs.

01530132.jpg
unnamed (1).jpg

Here are some older ones, this is an elegance coral, Catalaphyllia jardinei. Once common in the hobby and known as fairly hardy LPS, most now come with a fatal disease known unofficially as Elegance Coral Syndrome, which greatly limits their lifespan. A contributing factor could be that our tanks are not the ideal habitat for them - most come from deeper, more silty water. They are rarely exposed to the bright lights and cleaner waters of shallow reefs.

cm4l4tdakoj21.jpg

Remember how I said that corals are typically less colorful under sunlight? Well, the sun coral and many other related corals prove an exception to that rule. The sun coral, which is unique in that it is non-photosynthetic and relies on catching plankton and other crustaceans in its tentacles. They grow huge on many reefs.

jtcoral141018.jpg

Here's a unique photo - an urban coral reef exposed at low tide. This is off the coast off Pulau Semakau, an island. In the distance, you can see Singapore. At low tide, one will find the island as well as the waters around it teeming with life, though there have been concerns over pollution of the surrounding water. The Singapore government, however, tightly regulates environmental practices in the area, in contrast to many Indonesian islands.

acropora-millepora-wild-4.jpg

Here's a healthy patch of Acropora millepora, the purple one in the middle, as well as various other SPS, at a diving spot in the Pacific. The mille has the classic shape of its species, but which is very difficult to replicate in the aquarium.

Plerogyra-8.jpg

From the same source, here is a large Bubble coral, Plerogyra sinuosa. Notably, this colony, though extremely large, has suffered some damage, as evident but the large hold in the skeleton on the side. It's possible this is from an anchor of a boat.

Coral-outplant-Photo-by-CCMI-min.jpg

Here's another photo of SPS, this time the critically endangered staghorn coral, Acropora cervicornis. Native to the Carribean, this coral faces huge challenges. Most of us will never keep this coral, its collection is essentially banned, except for extremely specific research and conservation purposes, by international law.

504733645d65a.jpg

Here is a large patch of anemones, species unknown, hosting an anemonefish.

Amphiprion-melanopus-quadricolor-jj-0076-081609 (1).jpg

Here are multiple bubble tip anemones growing in the Marshall Islands. They are hosted by Amphiprion melanopus. Notably, this photo was taken in 2008, and the same reef suffered multiple bleaching events in 2008, 2013, 2014, and 2016. Many corals and anemones did not survive, and these reefs are a shadow of their former selves.

Scolymia-2-copy.jpg
Scolymia-cubensis-1.jpg

Also from reefbuilders, here we can see some scolymias, specifically Caribbean scolies. Scolymia cubensis the smaller of the two species has a lower profile and often found on the side of rocks. It looks to have a smoother texture around the exterior of the disk. Scolymia lacera is the bigger flashier coral with visible skeletal teeth around the edge of the coral, on the left. These were both found in the Honduras.

Euphyllia ancora (Wikimedia) (1).jpg
Euphyllia-4.jpg

Switching gears to LPS, here are some huge swathes of hammer corals, these being the wall hammer Fimbriaphyllia ancora. Formerly Euphyllia, hammers and frogspawn/octospawn were reclassified in 2018. These huge corals could almost be considered reefs by themselves! They make anything we have in captivity pail in comparison.

goniopora-goniopora-columna-framed-by-leather-corals-ellisella-sp-daymaniyat-islands-nature-re...jpg

Here's a variety of goniopora surrounded by leather corals. Huge fields of leather emerge where the conditions are right, but sometimes other corals fight their way to the top and manage to gain a foothold among the leathers, as these gonis have done. This is why coral warfare happens! They have to fight for their real estate.

coral-water-800.jpg

Here's something really unique. No, these corals aren't bleached. These are deepwater small polyp stony corals. Yes, they exist! They receive no sunlight and are feed on plankton. They're exceptionally slow growers. Your fast growing acro can gain 10-20 cm in a year, but these guys grow just 0.1 cm in a year. They are extremely vulnerable to damage from deep sea trawling and other environmental damage.

Rainbow-of-Hard-Coral.jpg

Finally, back to the traditional reef picture. Here is a rainbow of corals found in the Pacific off the Great Barrier Reef. Unfortunately, due to bleaching events, these corals are also severely damaged in the present. Their beauty remains only in a few photographs.

So there ends our brief tour of corals in the wild. You may notice that many of them suffer from environmental threats. These are very real and are impacting almost every reef on the planet. If you can, please check out or donate to a reef conservation agency, such as https://coralreef.noaa.gov. They need our help!

Back